Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Coventry  (Read 7371 times)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Friday, February 24, 2017, 13:29:48 »

It depends on whether people believe that the club will continue to fester under Power's ownership or there will be some miraculous volte face regarding his way of running things.

Yes, any new owner may not be an upgrade on Power BUT they might be. As things stand I reckon we're fucked - and that doesn't just refer to getting relegated this season.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Friday, February 24, 2017, 14:31:30 »

Flipside, our "fans" who desperately "want their Swindon back" could do with looking at Cov and thinking about where we might be a) without Power coming in and removing Jed and b) what can happen if they get their wish and he goes....

That's where I was going to go.  The Coventry fans have a much greater case for bemoaning their owners who have a sole intent on pushing judicial reviews against anyone they can find to try and extract some value from their investment in the club - which they have now stopped completely - so no more loans to the football business, they are very much a cutting cloth to fit club now while this goes on.  If you go back before they made it to Wembley in the pointless thingy, all the talk was about terminal decline and they can't engage in renewing their rent deal beyond next season at the Ricoh because their owner is dragging the Wasps purchase of the ground through the courts!  So they could easily get relegated, reduce revenue, reduce budget for players and have no ground to play at in a year from now.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Friday, February 24, 2017, 14:38:53 »

So they could easily get relegated, reduce revenue, reduce budget for players and have no ground to play at in a year from now.

We are a ground better off than the! Yes! Winner!
---
They've already had a year in Northampton, Sisu are absolute ****. Our club is feels like currently dying, but they are dancing with the Reaper.
Chrystovski

« Reply #18 on: Friday, February 24, 2017, 15:05:41 »

Flipside, our "fans" who desperately "want their Swindon back" could do with looking at Cov and thinking about where we might be a) without Power coming in and removing Jed and b) what can happen if they get their wish and he goes....

Good point tbf, we could end up with an owner who sells all of our best players, replaces them with kids, hires an inexperienced manager, we have a huge slump in league position and then to rub salt in the wounds the chairman admits he is only here to make a profit. That would be terrible.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Friday, February 24, 2017, 15:08:43 »

That's where I was going to go.  The Coventry fans have a much greater case for bemoaning their owners who have a sole intent on pushing judicial reviews against anyone they can find to try and extract some value from their investment in the club - which they have now stopped completely - so no more loans to the football business, they are very much a cutting cloth to fit club now while this goes on.  If you go back before they made it to Wembley in the pointless thingy, all the talk was about terminal decline and they can't engage in renewing their rent deal beyond next season at the Ricoh because their owner is dragging the Wasps purchase of the ground through the courts!  So they could easily get relegated, reduce revenue, reduce budget for players and have no ground to play at in a year from now.

Which is why I want them in Div 4 next season.... only 2 go down, so it may be possible to find a couple of clubs more poorly run than ours, and Cov has potential.  You'd have thought Blackpool too, but they've done OK so far. Oystons lost big time in the Court yesterday, so there could be further fall out for them next season.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Friday, February 24, 2017, 15:28:24 »

Good point tbf, we could end up with an owner who sells all of our best players, replaces them with kids, hires an inexperienced manager, we have a huge slump in league position and then to rub salt in the wounds the chairman admits he is only here to make a profit. That would be terrible.
We could have Jed, Munto finance, SISU, Agombar, Diego Lemos, Peter Pannu, Touzar etc etc. That would *genuinely* be terrible. No great fan of Power's and as fed up of his "model" as anyone but as I keep saying, be very very careful what you wish for. Especially if you find yourself uttering the words "Things can't get any worse". Yes they can. They pretty much always can.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #21 on: Friday, February 24, 2017, 15:41:39 »

We could have Jed, Munto finance, SISU, Agombar, Diego Lemos, Peter Pannu, Touzar etc etc. That would *genuinely* be terrible. No great fan of Power's and as fed up of his "model" as anyone but as I keep saying, be very very careful what you wish for. Especially if you find yourself uttering the words "Things can't get any worse". Yes they can. They pretty much always can.
I agree with all of that. The grass is not always greener despite what some of our fans may think.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Friday, February 24, 2017, 15:47:26 »

But it might be greener.

Best not to jump over the fence unless you can see what's on the other side - unless you have to because the field is on fire and in danger of dragging you into the abyss of non league football.

which is not yet the case
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Friday, February 24, 2017, 15:55:34 »

But it might be greener.

Best not to jump over the fence unless you can see what's on the other side - unless you have to because the field is on fire and in danger of dragging you into the abyss of non league football.
Leaving aside the horrible mixed metaphor, it's all about risk vs possible/probable reward. The number of shysters sniffing around clubs with nefarious intent and/or incompetents greatly outweighs the number of genuine benefactors capable of delivering on their promises. And we have little to offer the latter. Meaning we are substantially more likely to end up with yet more of the former. In terms of likely outcomes (as opposed to some bloke on Facebook confusing "What I would like" with "What is actually plausible") the potential reward is likely to be small, the risks don't bear thinking about.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Friday, February 24, 2017, 15:59:42 »

it depends on what happens next. going to non league and continuing with the model would be as bad as taking a risk and ending up with a shyster that kills us in a different way.

to me anyway, obviously not to everyone.

hopefully it's obvious I don't feel now is the time to do that, well, not without a credible non shyster alternative in place
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Friday, February 24, 2017, 16:03:58 »

The problem with shysters is that nobody knows any new owner is one until it's too late.

Bit like right now.
Panda Paws

« Reply #26 on: Friday, February 24, 2017, 16:30:43 »

I'm sure if someone came along with a genuine offer and a sound business plan, he'd be gone in a flash anyway.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #27 on: Friday, February 24, 2017, 16:39:50 »

I'm sure if someone came along with a genuine offer and a sound business plan, he'd be gone in a flash anyway.
Definately this.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Friday, February 24, 2017, 16:44:02 »

it's all about risk vs possible/probable reward. The number of shysters sniffing around clubs with nefarious intent and/or incompetents greatly outweighs the number of genuine benefactors capable of delivering on their promises. And we have little to offer the latter.

Despite what many seem to think we don't have a great deal to attract the former either, as Jed discovered when he actually saw the books?
flammableBen

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Friday, February 24, 2017, 22:26:57 »

Leaving aside the horrible mixed metaphor, it's all about risk vs possible/probable reward. The number of shysters sniffing around clubs with nefarious intent and/or incompetents greatly outweighs the number of genuine benefactors capable of delivering on their promises. And we have little to offer the latter. Meaning we are substantially more likely to end up with yet more of the former. In terms of likely outcomes (as opposed to some bloke on Facebook confusing "What I would like" with "What is actually plausible") the potential reward is likely to be small, the risks don't bear thinking about.

That's the thing about turning the club system into a big fuck off capitalist marketplace isn't it? We start talking about fan attitudes in the same way. Can I invest my current right to protest against it being shit into a bond wrapped up with protest futures which might become less valuable hence saving me some fan embarrassment? Or something.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: