Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: hard drive problems  (Read 4510 times)
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« on: Tuesday, February 21, 2017, 13:22:40 »

GUYS, I have aproblem with my trusty computer!  Had a message popping up telling me that Windows had detected a problem with my hard drive, packed up completely now!  If I purchase a portable hard drive does it transfer everything from the old one or do I have to start again?  Would like to use the same operqting system and not be forced onto W10!!  Any advice gratefully received1
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, February 21, 2017, 13:43:33 »

Does it boot into windows?
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, February 21, 2017, 17:12:38 »

Yes, but then drops out at various times to a black screen telling me to reboot or insert boot device!  Sorry i cannot be more specific - but am a total dummy with tech things!!
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, February 21, 2017, 18:40:20 »

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, February 21, 2017, 21:34:51 »

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Many times I am afraid to say.  When the message comes up to reboot it is the only option that I have, four times today alone!
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, February 21, 2017, 21:35:11 »

Could be as simple as a loose or faulty cable, or the drive could be dying.

If it is the drive that's faulty, it sounds like you still have time to get the data off. If you're not that techy, find someone who can image the drive onto a new one for you.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, February 21, 2017, 22:07:17 »

Could be as simple as a loose or faulty cable, or the drive could be dying.

If it is the drive that's faulty, it sounds like you still have time to get the data off. If you're not that techy, find someone who can image the drive onto a new one for you.
Did get some messages that Windows has detected problems with the hard drive and to contact the manufacturer!  Is it as simple as buying an external hard drive and getting all the data off?
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, February 22, 2017, 10:44:40 »

Did get some messages that Windows has detected problems with the hard drive and to contact the manufacturer!  Is it as simple as buying an external hard drive and getting all the data off?

Yes to keep your files only. Then you'd need a new internal drive and re-install the operating system and programs you need.

If you want to keep your operating system, settings and programs without reinstalling them I'd suggest a new internal hard drive and clone the existing one onto that.

For a new internal drive I'd recommend spending a little extra for an SSD (solid state drive) which will be a serious performance upgrade if your existing one is a normal mechanical hard drive.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, February 22, 2017, 19:36:36 »

Yes to keep your files only. Then you'd need a new internal drive and re-install the operating system and programs you need.

If you want to keep your operating system, settings and programs without reinstalling them I'd suggest a new internal hard drive and clone the existing one onto that.

For a new internal drive I'd recommend spending a little extra for an SSD (solid state drive) which will be a serious performance upgrade if your existing one is a normal mechanical hard drive.
Thanks Si, got a guy coming out tomorrow to take a look!
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, February 22, 2017, 22:06:06 »

Did you pay someone?

Would genuinely be interested to know how much he charges professionally.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, February 23, 2017, 14:25:54 »

Did you pay someone?

Would genuinely be interested to know how much he charges professionally.
He will want paying if he gets it up and running I guess, coming to take a look and give me quote.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Friday, February 24, 2017, 17:38:31 »

It is fixed, not sure he was 100% competent but it is up and running!  He took hard drive out and scanned it on a disc reader connected to his notebook - found the fault and cleaned it up.  He turned out to not be a professional but somebody who is going to try to find his way in life as an IT guy!
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Friday, February 24, 2017, 17:41:11 »

How much did he charge you for that?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: