Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 ... 24   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: L2 next season......who do you want?  (Read 81184 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: Thursday, April 27, 2017, 10:35:46 »

Yep I loved going to Aldershot back in the old days, the covered home and away end split down the middle, the trawler net behind the other goal, the locals aren't too unfriendly either in the great scheme of football fan rivalry.

My favourite memory of there was the Championship winning season under Macari in Div 4 a couple of days  after we got the draw at Mansfield to clinch the title, when their players formed a guard of honour on the pitch when we came out while the tannoy played Queens "We are the champions" it still sends chills down my spine as it was the clubs first ever title winning side in the league, we went on to win 4-2 that day with about 2,500 Town fans in a crowd of under 4k.

Technically when Aldershot reformed and changed their name like Bristol City, who became Bristol City 82 Ltd, they became Aldershot Town.

As such they accepted the basic idea of new club, new history, and as has been the case when we play many of the clubs newly arrived from non-league... we struggle, managing to lose to Aldershot Town in our only league visit there.

Although 85/86 was a first FL title, it shouldn't be airbrushed from history, in a kind of football didn't exist before the Prem sort of way, that the 2 Southern League titles, were in a comp which was of a parallel standard to the then Football league. So for example of the 10/11 Champions, including ourselves, 14 of the teams subsequently have played English top flight football after the post Great War amalgamation. 4 namely Watford, WHU, Crystal Palace and Soton are in the top flight, about to be joined by B and HA.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: Thursday, April 27, 2017, 10:36:07 »

Yep I loved going to Aldershot back in the old days, the covered home and away end split down the middle, the trawler net behind the other goal, the locals aren't too unfriendly either in the great scheme of football fan rivalry.

My favourite memory of there was the Championship winning season under Macari in Div 4 a couple of days  after we got the draw at Mansfield to clinch the title, when their players formed a guard of honour on the pitch when we came out while the tannoy played Queens "We are the champions" it still sends chills down my spine as it was the clubs first ever title winning side in the league, we went on to win 4-2 that day with about 2,500 Town fans in a crowd of under 4k.

Also minded of the last L2 visit there.
They looked like the promotion chasing team that night and a great gesture to have mark of respect for PDC's parents before the game.

After the game, overheard a Town fan point out a future parking space to his old man, to which the response was "nah, don't worry about it, we won't be playing them again"........

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Not that Nice If I'm Honest

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: Friday, April 28, 2017, 17:26:44 »

Yeah we have, we won promotion there when we won the league?!

I thought that was Mansfield ?
Not that Nice If I'm Honest

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: Friday, April 28, 2017, 17:33:40 »

My mistake, I thought you were referring to the Macari season
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: Saturday, April 29, 2017, 14:59:29 »

Newport winning, Hartlepool losing.

Talk about a great escape for Newport if it stays that way, talk about showing bottle in a relegation fight unlike our bunch of pricks
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: Saturday, April 29, 2017, 15:05:38 »

Talk about a great escape for Newport

Happens quite often in L2. I'd much rather a trip to Newport than Hartlepool.

30 minutes on the train for me* Too Cool

* Talk about a bleak 'every cloud'.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: Sunday, April 30, 2017, 13:01:44 »

So, Vale join us next season.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: Sunday, April 30, 2017, 13:29:26 »

It's not next season I'm worried about, it's the season after - Salisbury,  Chippenham,  Frome Huh?, Could be embarrassing !!.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: Sunday, April 30, 2017, 14:00:02 »

It's not next season I'm worried about, it's the season after - Salisbury,  Chippenham,  Frome Huh?, Could be embarrassing !!.

Such has been the steady decline over the last 2 years, that it is realistic to face up to this reality.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #174 on: Wednesday, May 3, 2017, 19:43:47 »

It's not looking good for you 80's romantics but it is looking quite good for the 90's romantics.

Latest Score: Aldershot 0-3 Tranmere.

Time to tamper with the floodnights..........
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: Wednesday, May 3, 2017, 19:56:01 »

It's not looking good for you 80's romantics but it is looking quite good for the 90's romantics.

Latest Score: Aldershot 0-3 Tranmere.

Time to tamper with the floodnights..........

Shame... the games against Rovers and Oxford last season showed that we're not too good against teams on their way back from spells in the Conference. I'd imagine Lincoln will be similar...
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: Thursday, May 4, 2017, 00:00:45 »

I saw Cooper at Shots tonight.

Jimmy Floyd also in the stands.

Clems Army!
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: Thursday, May 4, 2017, 08:15:50 »

And here's one for the New Romantics...

... I'll get me coat
Stevens

« Reply #178 on: Thursday, May 4, 2017, 12:15:53 »

With what we have left at the moment I think it is still strong enough to be at least a mid table side in Div. 4

Can't understand all this talk about falling to the conference.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: Thursday, May 4, 2017, 12:18:44 »

you think we have enough goals in us? not having a go, just wondering.

I guess the talk is subjective, and assumes Vigs, Thompson, obika and kassim are off. Not sure that leaves us much, and our recent  recruitment has been poor, plus the manger is duff. But you disagree which is fair enough
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 ... 24   Go Up
Print
Jump to: