Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Sim Free Phones  (Read 3792 times)
Saxondale

Ignore
« on: Sunday, February 5, 2017, 20:18:16 »

Advice from the younger more tech savvy sought!  And an opportunity to stop self flagellating about that bollocks football stuff.

So my dearest eldest has fucked up her phone.  Its some Huawei y something nonsense.   She's on a cheap £9.50 a month contract with I-D mobile  and has a year left to run.  Smashed up screen which I've tried to find people to fix but they seem to not be able to do that sort of phone or charge £170.

Just looking at buying a cheap as chips handset so she can run down the contract.

She's come up with this one for £50

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BLU-Vivo-Mini-SIM-Free-Smartphone/dp/B01NBHS752/ref=sr_1_13?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1486324970&sr=1-13&keywords=unlocked+smartphones

Anyone have any idea if this would work?  Or experience of whether the phones are anything better than a bag of shit?

Never knowingly overstated.
garethgillman

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, February 5, 2017, 20:26:50 »

Personally I would pay a bit more and get a named brand such as Samsung, Motorola and HTC, I would personally prefer a second hand one from CEX / Cash convertors and spend £75 than spend £50 on a brand new no name brand
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, February 5, 2017, 22:18:19 »

If you're willing to go over the ton, then there's some decent budget phones around which will whup the ass off the low-end big brand phones e.g. Honor, Moto G4, Wileyfox or (if you're feeling adventurous) Xiaomi Redmi. The one you list is a punt - it could be decent-ish in a "do a job" kind of way or it could be a complete crock. I'd steer well cleer of "budget" or low-end offerings from the big names - the last two times I've tried that with low-end Galaxies for the missus and the eldest they've been complete rubbish. Would have been better off getting a Chinese no-name, utter garbage
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, February 5, 2017, 22:27:02 »

just bought a Chinese no-name for the Mrs, fairly good for £135 so far (doogee f5). camera isn't great and no NFC downside.

oh and obviously the Chinese now own our entire Amazon shipping list and bank account, but Facebook loads fast.

looked at a g4, but seemed a bit low on ram (1GB AFAIK). the g4 plus was a bit pricey. quite like moto though.

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, February 5, 2017, 22:29:34 »

I have a Motorola Moto g play. It's alright for £100. Not the best phone I've had but it does everything it should
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Monday, February 6, 2017, 10:21:32 »

The wife broke her Xperia Z3 with 10 months left on her contract.

I bought her a refurbished Alcatel Pixi from O2 for £10. It's slow and she can only have about 4 apps installed because it's got so little storage space, but it serves her right for breaking the Z3.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, February 21, 2017, 13:45:39 »

Alcatel Pixi from O2 for £10. It's slow and she can only have about 4 apps installed because it's got so little storage space, but it serves her right for breaking the Z3.

That is definitely a way to punish her, that's possibly the slowest and worst smart phone I have ever tried  Grin
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, February 21, 2017, 13:49:07 »

I have a Motorola Moto g play. It's alright for £100. Not the best phone I've had but it does everything it should

Meant to post back yesterday. Can be had for £79 with codes. Just got one for my son, Butterfingers.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/moto-g4-play-back-stock-79-01-motorola-co-uk-2618948

edit: bugger its gone OOS again. Keep an eye out
================
Bought myself a Lenovo P2, the battery on this is amazing. Nearly back to 1995 levels (2 days !). £200 though Sad
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, February 21, 2017, 13:51:36 »

That is definitely a way to punish her, that's possibly the slowest and worst smart phone I have ever tried  Grin

She's now got my old Z3 Compact after my company mobile upgrade came up a few weeks ago. I'll keep the Pixi to taunt her with and remind her that breaking expensive phones isn't a very good thing to do.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: