Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Oxford.....  (Read 48292 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: Thursday, February 2, 2017, 09:15:43 »

Always makes me laugh when you get the deadly serious sweeping generalisations along the lines of "all Oxford fans are cunts" etc. A football fan is football fan.

As for hating the city of Oxford just because their team happen to be your rivals, have a word with yourself

Sums up my feelings as well. But having only been born in Swindon and mainly lived away from the West Country for all of my life is my contributing factor to never really 'hating' othe football teams/fans.

Each to their own.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Captain Beefheart

Fast and bulbous, tight also.

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: Thursday, February 2, 2017, 09:29:39 »

I think I left actually 'hating' Oxford fans behind when I was about 14. It just seems a little silly and infantile. That said, the few Oxford fans that I do know are complete cunts.

Moving to Oxford in September to start a PhD... So perhaps after 4 years of living there the hatred will manifest itself again.
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: Thursday, February 2, 2017, 10:20:19 »

I like the rivalry, but to be honest for me it's all a bit of a pantomime. I can't imagine wanting to give someone a kicking because of the football club they support, but that doesn't mean I don't hate them in the run up to a derby game, or at the game itself. Or for a few days after, if we lose.
Tribalism is, for me, an integral part of following a football team. That doesn't mean that violence is as well.

Peace and Love Man. Peace and Love...

It's All Good..............
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #153 on: Thursday, February 2, 2017, 10:34:26 »

I never met a Pox fan while I lived in Swindon...ever....but when I moved to Somerset I have since met 3 and they are all good blokes and they love the rivalry.

I only met 1 total wanker Pox fan who was a door to door electric salesman who as soon as he saw my framed Swindon shirt said " I am sorry I cant do this I am an Oxford fan" and walked out with me stood with my mouth wide open, so I reported him.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Panda Paws

« Reply #154 on: Thursday, February 2, 2017, 10:38:33 »

I met an oxford fan on my first day of university 10 years ago. Didn't speak a word to him from the point I found out.

I don't really buy into the tribalism of football anymore, but I've never met an Oxford fan I like. They all seem to be jumped up knobs with an inflated idea of self-worth.

I also hope we stuff them on Sunday for lots of reasons. The fact it's them, we need a big performance and I'm sick of most of our whinging fans, so it might shut them up for a bit.

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: Thursday, February 2, 2017, 10:41:03 »

I like the rivalry, but to be honest for me it's all a bit of a pantomime
They're behiiiiiiiiind you!
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: Thursday, February 2, 2017, 10:42:02 »

To be fair at the moment I think they're a bit ahead of us unfortunately.  But then again most people are.

I guess thats not as snappy as a panto line though.

Never knowingly overstated.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: Thursday, February 2, 2017, 10:50:59 »

I don't really buy into the tribalism of football anymore, but I've never met an Oxford fan I like. They all seem to be jumped up knobs with an inflated idea of self-worth.

I couldn't help but think of the old Spitting Image song....substitute South African with Oxford Fan and rewrite accordingly...

Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: Thursday, February 2, 2017, 11:49:45 »

When I was a kid we were at home watching the boat race & my Dad asked me who I wanted to win, and I replied Cambridge.

He asked me why, to which I replied "Because I hate Oxford".

Now I'm older I don't really hate Oxford, but I still want them to lose every game
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: Thursday, February 2, 2017, 13:15:11 »

I know it's pathetic, but I even want anyone from Oxford on a TV quiz show to lose.

My hatred is complete and all inclusive of things Oxford.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: Thursday, February 2, 2017, 13:29:52 »

Some of my best friends are from Oxford.

(This is not true, I don't even have any friends.)
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: Thursday, February 2, 2017, 13:36:26 »

Being a Swindon fan means disliking Oxford, there's no escaping it as it's ingrained into the fan base and history.
They seem to have a much deeper hatred for us, probably because they've been in our shadow for most of their existence and don't really have any other clubs that local to them.

I dislike them as a club, but not that bothered by them in all honesty, they're like a gnat or a mosquito that buzzes round your head annoying you.

Went to see Adam Hills a few years ago at the Wyvern, he started talking to a woman and asked her where she was from, she replied "Oxford". The whole theatre booed her which was hilarious and Hills' was rightly perplexed by that reaction until someone explained to him Smiley
lambourn red

« Reply #162 on: Thursday, February 2, 2017, 13:44:52 »

I know a fair few Pox fans and even shared a flat at University with one for 3 years which was amusing as it was during the early 90's when we were at our best. I am resigned to loosing a £10 bet with another one this season as there is no way we will finish above them.
To be honest they are all decent guys and I am probably worst than them for giving banter out, but very much like Rory I detest anything to do with oxford the city which is completely irrational .
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #163 on: Thursday, February 2, 2017, 15:24:27 »

I know it's pathetic, but I even want anyone from Oxford on a TV quiz show to lose.

My hatred is complete and all inclusive of things Oxford.

That is quite something. I do give a colleague at work shit because her son is in Oxfords youth set up (Bananas...whoaaah) but it's normally tongue in cheek. I quite like visiting Oxford as a City, its a nice place!

I'm a big fan of Bristol as well and I live just outside Reading. I'm the worst Swindon fan ever!
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #164 on: Thursday, February 2, 2017, 15:26:42 »

I once went to an interview for a job in Oxford, felt a little dirty.  Managed to restructure their team during my interview, thus negating the need for my appointment.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14   Go Up
Print
Jump to: