Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Acceptance?  (Read 8512 times)
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« on: Saturday, January 28, 2017, 17:34:03 »

1 win in 10, a 28% win record. Is this what we accept now?

Previous years we would have been demanding the sack, chants at matches and pressure on the owners to make change.
Has the model of Lee Power and the thought that should the manager be sacked whoever comes in will be no better and under the same management restrictions made it acceptable? Is this the price of sustainability?

Doesn't seem to be a lot going on from the fans. People are moaning and getting fed up but it seems like an acceptance that this is what it is and we can't change anything.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, January 28, 2017, 17:48:44 »

"seems like an acceptance that this is what it is and we can't change anything."

Think you've hit the nail on the head. Though its obviously not certain that nobody better than Power is available, there is also the flip side that we could get someone worse.

I dunno, football changed. Apathy and acceptance, shitty goal songs, mass leaving 5 minutes early to get to the car park regardless of score.

I do think the dissatisfaction will be majorly heard both in voice and in ticket sales soon. Not expecting it to make a difference.
------------
Personally, the days of buying orange hats are over for me. I've got older. I don't care quite as much.
« Last Edit: Saturday, January 28, 2017, 17:50:24 by Batch » Logged
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, January 28, 2017, 18:01:59 »

A line I've been pedalling for a while is that there is a complete disconnect between the club and the fans, this is the logical end point of changes which have happened since the 80's and mirrors our wider society where neoliberal capitalism is free to trample all over the interests of the wider civic good.

STFC is no longer the thing which many of us grew up with. 

As such I don't think there is any fight left amongst the fan base.  In the wider body politic the same despondancy is found in how the Tories are able to asset strip former publicly owned things like the Health Hydro and Thamesdown Transport....with Lydiard in the pipeline, and close down other assets like libraries, no doubt to flog the premises to developers with impunity.

The reaction to this hopelessness, will be  Shrug and not bothering to go any longer.
blinkpip
His Infernal Majesty

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, January 28, 2017, 18:04:58 »

I think it's more acceptance nowadays. Look at Blackpool owners, untouchable.
(i'm not comparing us to Blackpool) just saying Club owners are protected and there nothing you can do, unless buy them out for millions.

Williams it seems, wants to be sacked and paid off (wont resign). Power doesn't want to pay him off

All news outlets are scared to run any transfer rumours/stories as they are worried about being banned.

This is the first time I've never went to Rovers away, i'm bored trying to support/watching other teams development players and expecting a flat performance, we need leaders, players that are our own and fight. We are so oblivious and easy to play against.

Ill continue to watch home games, but it seems like a chore lately.

Even in the Iffy relegation season, it was more fun and entertaining.

ee the trick is only pick on those that can't do you no harm
Like the drummer from Def Leppard's only got one arm

I annoyed Yeovilred 28/01/06
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, January 28, 2017, 18:45:23 »

this is the logical end point of changes which have happened since the 80's and mirrors our wider society where neoliberal capitalism is free to trample all over the interests of the wider civic good.
where "wider civic good" = STFC and "neo-liberal capitalism" = Pox and Brizzle and pretty much anyone else these days? 
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, January 28, 2017, 19:18:13 »

A line I've been pedalling for a while is that there is a complete disconnect between the club and the fans, this is the logical end point of changes which have happened since the 80's and mirrors our wider society where neoliberal capitalism is free to trample all over the interests of the wider civic good.

STFC is no longer the thing which many of us grew up with. 

As such I don't think there is any fight left amongst the fan base.  In the wider body politic the same despondancy is found in how the Tories are able to asset strip former publicly owned things like the Health Hydro and Thamesdown Transport....with Lydiard in the pipeline, and close down other assets like libraries, no doubt to flog the premises to developers with impunity.

The reaction to this hopelessness, will be  Shrug and not bothering to go any longer.

There was plenty of fight as recently as 10 (?) years ago, when Diamandis was taking the club on a path many of the fans weren't happy with.  But agree with your general point.

It's difficult to assess objectively.  The one thing that every single one of us have in common is that we're all 10 years older/wiser/more weary than we were 10 years ago.  If you're comparing the way you feel now with the way you felt back then, you're comparing yourself to a younger, slightly more dynamic version of yourself.

Not denying the general point though.  Are the Snapchat generation as ardently STFC as their parents, generally speaking?  Possibly not.  But is that because the last serious success we've had as a club happened 20+ years ago?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, January 28, 2017, 20:27:40 »

Personally, the days of buying orange hats are over for me.
We gave them out for free. Don't tell me Diamandis was sending someone round to hoover them all up then flog them off from the other side of the car park? If you can't beat 'em .....
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, January 28, 2017, 20:30:34 »

We gave them out for free. Don't tell me Diamandis was sending someone round to hoover them all up then flog them off from the other side of the car park? If you can't beat 'em .....

I contributed some cash towards some of them.

Understandably you wouldn't let me pay people's Trust membership fees.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, January 28, 2017, 20:35:00 »

I contributed some cash towards some of them.
Sorry, yes you did, I was so quick to dash to the cheap gag, I forgot your generous support. Which was very much appreciated and still is. FFS, I feel a bit of a twat now tbh. And deserve to.
Flashheart

« Reply #9 on: Saturday, January 28, 2017, 20:37:35 »

Davis you fucking bellend!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, January 28, 2017, 20:43:43 »

Pah, I didn't give *that* much.

Never let the truth get in the way of a good gag #alternativeFactsDavis
garethgillman

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, January 28, 2017, 20:47:18 »

Football fans in general are less tolerant now, want instant results, look at Arsenal & Liverpool as soon as they lose, they expect to be entertained every game and to win every game, where as older(?) fans tend to take the rough with the smooth, the younger generation tend to want a trophy every season or it's a shit team.

Personally our slump isn't bothering me that much as we have been there done it before, it's a little different this time but we have always been a yoyo team and tend to go into seasons expecting us to be poor so when we do well I am excited, I went to Wembley the other season on a high because I expected us to finish poorly and not get to the playoffs.

Boycotts are all find and dandy but the owners aren't just going to walk away and say "fans want me gone, here have the club".... they are in it for the tune of millions and will only walk away on their terms, and in Blackpool's case, the fans boycotting has just made the owners more stubborn to sit it out. Coventry owners are making money so won't walk away, they have had at least 2 offers to walk away with cash in their pockets and refused to even adknowledge the offers so they are in it for the long haul. They won't have a stadium at the end of this season it looks like and will be relegated so are in a much worse position. Owners are now more money orientated when it comes to clubs now, the amount of fan owners is dwindling and the clubs are being run as a proper business to make money so this is going to happen more and more, the lower league teams are going to continue to struggle to buy players as the prices rise due to the greed set by owners and the money being pumped in at the top level, Lookman to Everton for £11m shows how stupid this has got and why owners like the Oystons won't let their "business" go as they only have to find one gem to make an absolute killing financially.

It's only going to get worse imho, look at Morecambe, Notts County and Bury just in the last 3 months  Roll Eyes
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, January 28, 2017, 20:47:47 »

Someone asked me how we got on today and then commiserated after I told her the score. I found myself saying, 'it's only football, it's not important'. The worse thing is I think I actually meant it.

It's All Good..............
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, January 28, 2017, 20:50:15 »

Someone asked me how we got on today and then commiserated after I told her the score. I found myself saying, 'it's only football, it's not important'. The worse thing is I think I actually meant it.

When we lost 3-0 at Bristol City, that stuck with me for days. I was over the the frustration and manner of this abject defeat by the time I got home.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, January 28, 2017, 20:50:58 »

Davis you fucking bellend!
Now you're just jumping on the already crowded "Davis you fucking bellend" bandwagon
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: