Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Acceptance?  (Read 8506 times)
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Saturday, January 28, 2017, 20:56:56 »

Someone asked me how we got on today and then commiserated after I told her the score. I found myself saying, 'it's only football, it's not important'. The worse thing is I think I actually meant it.

Yep Preston sorted that for me, and I reckon that's where it started for most.
redjed

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Sunday, January 29, 2017, 01:29:52 »

looking back to the early 80s, when we playing in front of the 2000 fans , there was an acceptance of the situation that we were  in then, football was still fun, even tho we were more crap than we are today, but the players had a passion to play the game and did their best. Today all im watching is players going through the motions.
Whats the answer, the more we lose the more the morale of these young players drop, its been said before, but losing becomes a habit, however good the team is, once you get in that rut, it takes a miracle to find a way out and start winning again.
Im afraid its starting to happen with these young Chelsea loanees, they are getting the losing habit, as there is nothing positive  at the CG, every way they look there is only the negative view, from forums to the media and now more vocally from the stands on matchday, all this is  pushing us further and further towards relegation.
All i want now for this season is us to beat the scum, then i can take relegation, even tho it we hurt like hell, as i cannot see us getting promotion back to league 1 in a hurry.
COYR

Good news , its not the end of the world today, as its tomorrow in New Zealand
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #17 on: Sunday, January 29, 2017, 10:01:43 »

Yep Preston sorted that for me, and I reckon that's where it started for most.
I know it did for me.

Worst, most abject, Swindon performance I have probably ever witnessed in 43+ years of watching us.

My wife asked me how we got on yesterday and in a similar way to herthab I just found myself not really caring about us losing as it seemed a foregone conclusion long before a ball was kicked.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Sunday, January 29, 2017, 10:53:11 »

sorry redjed, if I could make a deal with the footballing Gods I'd take a loss to Oxford and staying up.

I think there is a real danger of going down and dropping again a season or two later. I want the safety net..
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Sunday, January 29, 2017, 11:39:53 »

sorry redjed, if I could make a deal with the footballing Gods I'd take a loss to Oxford and staying up.

I think there is a real danger of going down and dropping again a season or two later. I want the safety net..

This present squad would certainly struggle in Div 4. The good news is that very few will be here next season....the bad news is that unless the recruitment policy changes we'll just get more of the same.

I don't think it will change....Power will have noted that a decent player in Div 4 can still command a handsome fee.  In many ways Div 4 is a better place for his model, insofar as the PO's go to 7th place and only 2 go down, so less pressure, and our type of player doesn't do pressure.

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Sunday, January 29, 2017, 12:01:02 »

The good news is that very few will be here next season....the bad news is that unless the recruitment policy changes we'll just get more of the same.

That's the depressing bit!

But my worry is this - Power we all accept and understand is trying to run the club breakeven* . If we go down we will get even fewer fans than staying in Division 3. He'll have to cut the budget even further, find it harder to convince QPR/Chelsea to send us more embryos, etc, etc.

Wages are a bit lower in div 4 but I can't see it offsetting these things.

* alegedly.
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Sunday, January 29, 2017, 12:52:33 »

If we go down I just see us sinking further and further.
Johnny Reeves

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Sunday, January 29, 2017, 15:36:59 »

looking back to the early 80s, when we playing in front of the 2000 fans , there was an acceptance of the situation that we were  in then, football was still fun, even tho we were more crap than we are today, but the players had a passion to play the game and did their best. Today all im watching is players going through the motions.
Whats the answer, the more we lose the more the morale of these young players drop, its been said before, but losing becomes a habit, however good the team is, once you get in that rut, it takes a miracle to find a way out and start winning again.
Im afraid its starting to happen with these young Chelsea loanees, they are getting the losing habit, as there is nothing positive  at the CG, every way they look there is only the negative view, from forums to the media and now more vocally from the stands on matchday, all this is  pushing us further and further towards relegation.
All i want now for this season is us to beat the scum, then i can take relegation, even tho it we hurt like hell, as i cannot see us getting promotion back to league 1 in a hurry.
COYR
That's fookin rubbish
Johnny Reeves

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Sunday, January 29, 2017, 15:39:26 »

Now here's someone who knows what he's talking about.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Sunday, January 29, 2017, 16:04:27 »

I just can't see a way out at the moment, Power can't/won't sign the type of players we need in Div 3/4 who can set the tone, a Greer type that we can build around.

There seems to be a growing feeling that Power's experiment hasn't worked and that he should move on.

The issue then is we are most likely to end up with another Jed type chancer, or worse an Oyston or SISU.

For me the best bet would be that Power wakes up & modifies his approach.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #25 on: Sunday, January 29, 2017, 16:21:41 »

For me the best bet would be that Power wakes up & modifies his approach.
Very much this for me, yes Power has made mistakes and hes not the best owner but we could be far far worse off than we are now, easily.

Unfortunately Power seems to have a real deep rooted problem that he cannot admit that he has got things wrong.
« Last Edit: Sunday, January 29, 2017, 16:26:00 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Sunday, January 29, 2017, 16:30:18 »

He's made a big play of being the only ex-player being an owner - this giving him some kind of special insight on how to run a club successfully.

He's made some monumental errors - the inexplicable one being the 5 year contract for Williams.

Maybe he's just as clueless as all the others
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Sunday, January 29, 2017, 18:05:29 »

I just can't see a way out at the moment....

....For me the best bet would be that Power wakes up & modifies his approach.

I agree with the last bit.  Power is sound financially and like it or not that's the prerequisite these days.  We need him  rather than some chancer who bankrupts us.

Like you I can't see a way out.  The thing I cling onto is my memory of losing abjectly 1-2 to Hartlepool under Trollope or possibly Beamish in front of barely 2000 fans.  As I drove back onto the M4 I remember thinking "this club is completely fucked".  How many years later were we in the premier league?  10?   I know the football world is very different now but it can still be done.
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Sunday, January 29, 2017, 18:23:50 »

Very much this for me, yes Power has made mistakes and hes not the best owner but we could be far far worse off than we are now, easily.

Unfortunately Power seems to have a real deep rooted problem that he cannot admit that he has got things wrong.
Same for me.

I can easily take defeat, and relegation - Christ, we've experienced it enough times before.

What got me this weekend was Chalky's comments about the lack of effort and being second best all over the pitch. This division this season is so shit, any kind of organisation and 100% effort will be enough to be competitive and at the very least would mean going down with a fight.

What has also pissed me off a bit has been the FA Cup. Power's model seems to totally disregard the significance of cup runs doing positive things for club, team and fans. Buying low and selling high isn't the only way to bring income into the club.

Still, I'm not giving up my support, even after next weekend's increasingly inevitable embarrassment.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: