Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Bristol Rovers v Swindon Town Official Matchday Thread (12:30 KO)  (Read 39249 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #240 on: Sunday, January 29, 2017, 19:43:01 »

Surely you mean"crap managers that have 35 or more games"
Yes worst managers I meant to put.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #241 on: Monday, January 30, 2017, 09:17:27 »

It was an interesting list, thanks

An opportunity to take a trip down a Memory Lane of lean times.

I was surprised to see Ken Beamish so high...38% is pretty reasonable for a win ratio
Peter Venkman

« Reply #242 on: Monday, January 30, 2017, 09:37:38 »

It was an interesting list, thanks

An opportunity to take a trip down a Memory Lane of lean times.

I was surprised to see Ken Beamish so high...38% is pretty reasonable for a win ratio
I was too, that was a terrible season he was in charge, crap on the pitch, lowest average post war crowds and lowest ever league position of 17th in Div 4. I was surprised but we had a couple of good cup runs that season which helped.
« Last Edit: Monday, January 30, 2017, 09:39:27 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #243 on: Monday, January 30, 2017, 10:02:31 »

I was too, that was a terrible season he was in charge, crap on the pitch, lowest average post war crowds and lowest ever league position of 17th in Div 4. I was surprised but we had a couple of good cup runs that season which helped.

As I've pointed out before KB record wasn't anywhere near as bad as Luke's and we had some decent players and results. Yes we did finish 17th, but you may recall players often clocked off late on in the season as with no PO's or relegation not a lot to play for in Div 4.

Of your win rate list...taking out T*odd as he didn't do 35 games, they mostly were shit in a higher Div than 3. Often because of a car crash season induced by a fire sale of players, having to use kids or maybe non league types....so we would put out a side just not able to compete, like on Saturday.

Les Allen a classic example.....a coach promoted to save money, just not a manager in 73/74.  A terrible season in Div2 , played out then as now against a background of Tory economic incompetence, in which only 1 striker, Peter Eastoe managed a brace, and finished leading scorer on record low of 8 for a FL season.

Then, as now it was obvious we were down from a long way out....but we could still field a side able to beat Oxford at the CG and draw at the Manor.
A Gent Orange

Ignore
« Reply #244 on: Monday, January 30, 2017, 10:05:09 »

Win ratio? Draws are a big part of football. Wouldn't the number of points per game a manager gets be a lot better way to judge them than this?
Peter Venkman

« Reply #245 on: Monday, January 30, 2017, 10:08:05 »

Win ratio? Draws are a big part of football. Wouldn't the number of points per game a manager gets be a lot better way to judge them than this?
Yes I agree, something more like a loss ratio might be a better option.

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #246 on: Monday, January 30, 2017, 10:16:01 »

<Nods head vigorously>
Peter Venkman

« Reply #247 on: Monday, January 30, 2017, 10:19:05 »

<Nods head vigorously>

The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #248 on: Monday, January 30, 2017, 11:19:28 »

I'm sure Vigs doesn't shake his head like that
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #249 on: Monday, January 30, 2017, 11:34:06 »

Williams (42 Games) 1.28 ppg
Cooper (120) 1.5 ppg
MacDonald (14) 1.21 ppg
Hart (11) 0.63 ppg
Malpas (42) 1.19 ppg

Cant be bothered to go any further its depressing enough. Williams has had the same amount of games as Malpas and is 4 points better off. We aren't progressing. Can't see any change
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #250 on: Monday, January 30, 2017, 13:12:42 »

Williams has never really been involved in transfers, previously it was always Power that done the recruitment, now it seems its Power & Sherwood, so for Williams to not know would not be surprising as effectively his role is 1st team coach.

I am of the opinion he is in the role as for whatever reason it allows Sherwood to stay in the background which means there is less known about his role, then when something else comes up he can easily go and he is not tainted by his links with stfc as 'manager' he was DoF.

Why do you think he does not appear on the bench anymore ?

Since the BBC did that article on him after his first couple of games where he came down to the bench and they asked why a DoF was on the bench etc, he has stayed away from the bench and refuses to talk to the local media.

I think we need to turn the heat up on Sherwood I suspect he will not like the publicity as it would harm his chances of getting another club seeing how poor things are here under his watch

RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #251 on: Monday, January 30, 2017, 13:42:08 »

Williams (42 Games) 1.28 ppg
Cooper (120) 1.5 ppg
MacDonald (14) 1.21 ppg
Hart (11) 0.63 ppg
Malpas (42) 1.19 ppg

Cant be bothered to go any further its depressing enough. Williams has had the same amount of games as Malpas and is 4 points better off. We aren't progressing. Can't see any change

We have had the same attendances for about 30 years, in the same ground, with the same facilities (bar replacing some concrete with some concrete with seats on it.  Aside from a brief stint where Di Canio was allowed to burn cash to keep his office warm at night, nothing in that time suggests we should ever have expected to progress.  Everything in fact suggests we should have struggled and stagnated as a club.  Some brown paper bags have a lot to answer for in terms of setting expectations as a club.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: