Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 ... 63   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Luke Williams - ***CONFIRMED - HE'S GONE***  (Read 185135 times)
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #840 on: Wednesday, May 3, 2017, 11:51:58 »

His reputation has certainly been dented from this season but there are a lot of mitigating circumstances. Power and Sherwood being the two biggest! When Sherwood was appointed Williams basically became cone collector for 10 weeks, wheeled out to sit on the bench and answer questions pre and post match.

I'm not saying he's the messiah, or even the very best option for next season. Given how the club is run though I think there are a lot of worse options and I would not have a problem with him still leading the team.

You call them mitigating factors but publicly he was happy doing this
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #841 on: Wednesday, May 3, 2017, 11:58:41 »

I cba to find it but there's an article with Andy Williams somewhere in the Adver archives giving massive credit to LW for his goalscoring run during the play off season. Uwe Rosler also gave him praise on the FL show a couple of weeks ago.

http://www.theleaguepaper.com/latest-news/football-league-division-one/4243/profile-swindon-town-manager-luke-williams/
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #842 on: Wednesday, May 3, 2017, 12:36:16 »

There are plenty of coaches out there who would fit the bill, assuming that the model will not change much.
Adi Viveash might be a worth a go if he could be persuaded to give up the relative security of the academy environment. Plus he has the advantage over Williams of a decent playing career at league level.

There was a piece on the wireless a few weeks back (cannot remember where sadly) where they were discussing why more British coaches do not make the step up from being very successful academy coaches to full blown league managers. The general conclusion was that the money isn't much better (if at all going from a Prem/Championship Academy to a L1-2 club as manager) and its really not worth the ball ache, abuse and short term nature of being a manager when you have comparatively hassle free job security at academy level.

FWIW I bet we couldn't match what Viveash is getting salary wise as Development Squad Manager at Chelsea even if we made him manager, and why the fuck would he want the poison that comes with it in the present climate.

Definately this, his stock has to have gone down, head coach seems way past his level.

He always seemed a reluctant gaffer anyway.

So why is he staying, as stated above cannot imagine his salary went through the roof when he was promoted and he is getting abused left right and centre and possibly doing long term damage to his long term career prospects - he knows something I tell thee and that's why Power won't let him go.....  Wink
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #843 on: Wednesday, May 3, 2017, 15:11:56 »

There was a piece on the wireless a few weeks back (cannot remember where sadly) where they were discussing why more British coaches do not make the step up from being very successful academy coaches to full blown league managers. The general conclusion was that the money isn't much better (if at all going from a Prem/Championship Academy to a L1-2 club as manager) and its really not worth the ball ache, abuse and short term nature of being a manager when you have comparatively hassle free job security at academy level.

FWIW I bet we couldn't match what Viveash is getting salary wise as Development Squad Manager at Chelsea even if we made him manager, and why the fuck would he want the poison that comes with it in the present climate.

So why is he staying, as stated above cannot imagine his salary went through the roof when he was promoted and he is getting abused left right and centre and possibly doing long term damage to his long term career prospects - he knows something I tell thee and that's why Power won't let him go.....  Wink

Some have ambition to go and manage a club and be a successful manager
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #844 on: Wednesday, May 3, 2017, 15:41:59 »

Clearly an assistant to an assistant Academy coach at a top end prem club will be on more than a Power appointed manager.

However if you can get a Prem gig or top end Championship club as outright boss, then your snout is definitely in the trough.

Sadly for someone like a Viveash, all evidence shows that English coaches aren't much trusted by the owners of the top Prem clubs, even if he wanted to give it a shot.  The best shot is provided by middle band of Prem clubs who play not to get relegated so appoint an Allardyce or Pulis.....these are fellas who've learnt their trade in the lower leagues, so itcan be done.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #845 on: Wednesday, May 3, 2017, 15:43:12 »

Would you give up a very well paid job for a job likely to be at best parity salary wise with a very limited opportunity for success, normally overseen by clueless idiots with a very itchy trigger finger
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #846 on: Wednesday, May 3, 2017, 16:08:59 »

so he's still here then. lumbered.
joteddyred

Ignore
« Reply #847 on: Wednesday, May 3, 2017, 19:14:36 »

Why the fuck is he still he? It's beyond a joke now.
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #848 on: Wednesday, May 3, 2017, 20:52:30 »

'The Adver understands Power and Luke Williams are due to meet later this week at which the position of the head coach is expected to come up for discussion.' (http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/swindon_town_2014/15259998.Town_decline_to_answer_Adver_questions_after_torrid_season/)

Have patience. It could all be over later this week. Or not.

If he goes, there'll be the inevitable complaints that the new bloke should have been here sooner; the new bloke is too old/young/a 'yes' man/maverick/inexperienced/cheap option/will bankrupt the club/wears strange clothes/prefers cats to dogs; and any other excuse not to go to the CG next season.

Enough of the hand-wringing, vitriol, wrist slashing, apocalyptic predictions. I think I'll chill until things actually happen.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #849 on: Wednesday, May 3, 2017, 21:24:47 »

if he goes I'd expect someone with similar background.

obviously not what we need, but just have to hope he's better at it than Williams.
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #850 on: Wednesday, May 3, 2017, 21:27:49 »

Enough of the hand-wringing, vitriol, wrist slashing, apocalyptic predictions. I think I'll chill until things actually happen.

Someone on my wavelength at last.

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #851 on: Wednesday, May 3, 2017, 23:51:50 »

'The Adver understands Power and Luke Williams are due to meet later this week at which the position of the head coach is expected to come up for discussion.' (http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/swindon_town_2014/15259998.Town_decline_to_answer_Adver_questions_after_torrid_season/)

Have patience. It could all be over later this week. Or not.

If he goes, there'll be the inevitable complaints that the new bloke should have been here sooner; the new bloke is too old/young/a 'yes' man/maverick/inexperienced/cheap option/will bankrupt the club/wears strange clothes/prefers cats to dogs; and any other excuse not to go to the CG next season.

It has happened already...relegated 7 points adrift in a shit league.

Get rid...

Clems Army!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #852 on: Thursday, May 4, 2017, 07:35:33 »

It has happened already...relegated 7 points adrift in a shit league.

Get rid...

http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/Managers.asp

Also statistically our 6th least successful manager since 1902 out of 35 total managers):

1. Hart (2011, 11 Games, 27% SR)
2. Gorman (1993, 72 games, 35% SR)
3. Quinn (1998, 85 Games, 35% SR)
4. Allen (1972, 62 Games, 37% SR)
5. T**d (2000, 18 Games, 39% SR)
6. Lindley (1953, 93 games, 41% SR)
6= Williams(2017, 75 games, 41% SR)

(Cooper SACKED 53% SR, Malpas 44%, Iffy 44%;
highest PDC 67%, Wise 66%,  Sturrock 61% - i.e. the last 3 managers involved in getting us to Div 3.)
==================
Incredible to think I've seen us play under 21 managers! )
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #853 on: Thursday, May 4, 2017, 09:57:11 »

http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/Managers.asp

Also statistically our 6th least successful manager since 1902 out of 35 total managers):

1. Hart (2011, 11 Games, 27% SR)
2. Gorman (1993, 72 games, 35% SR)
3. Quinn (1998, 85 Games, 35% SR)
4. Allen (1972, 62 Games, 37% SR)
5. T**d (2000, 18 Games, 39% SR)
6. Lindley (1953, 93 games, 41% SR)
6= Williams(2017, 75 games, 41% SR)

(Cooper SACKED 53% SR, Malpas 44%, Iffy 44%;
highest PDC 67%, Wise 66%,  Sturrock 61% - i.e. the last 3 managers involved in getting us to Div 3.)
==================
Incredible to think I've seen us play under 21 managers! )

Indicator of our relative ages. I've seen us play under 20 managers. My perception was that you were a lot older than myself.  Soapy Tit Wank

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #854 on: Thursday, May 4, 2017, 10:09:35 »

may well be, I didn't start going until near the end of secondary school (I'm 43)
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 ... 63   Go Up
Print
Jump to: