Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 ... 63   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Luke Williams - ***CONFIRMED - HE'S GONE***  (Read 185106 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #825 on: Tuesday, May 2, 2017, 14:19:16 »

My own eyes tell me the players were not good enough, not that Luke is limited as a Coach. Would some one else have done better with what we had this season? I'm not sure but i lean towards probably not.

Why is Dave Hockaday better than Williams? He left FGR by mutual consent (read sacked after 7 losses in eight) and was relegated (though got lucky with Salisburys financial problems), was sacked at Leeds (though who hasn't been) and was then sacked from Kidderminster last year. He has had a stab with a well funded non league club, a big but poorly run championship club and a run of the mill non league club and has been lets face it, pretty shit. What we he do at a poorly run, run of the mill, lower league club like ours?

I think its slightly laughable that anybody would consider that a better option than Williams.

It could happen as given his record he would more likely be willing to bend to Power's will in order to get a league job again. I just don't think that it's a good option or even a better option than what we have.

The name suggested here before and someone i think likely is Chris Ramsey. He's in the circle of trust with Power/Sherwood. He has been a coach and helped develop the young spurs players. He has the lower league playing experience and is an ex Swindon player who to some extent knows what it takes to get out of this division. He had a dodgy spell at QPR, but so have a lot of people and that was his first job.

Of course it's a matter of opinion, but I read an interview with Steven Gerrard recently, he's taken on a Liverpool academy coach job, he was offered Franchise but turned it down, feeling too inexperienced.

Gerrard said academy players and I suppose by default academy coaches are all lollypops, Cruyff turns and trying to look good.  A Charlie Colkett if you like, whereas what he wants to develop is a more physical approach...a Tom Smith if you like.

I guess you feel that if the coach is handed the Colketts then he can't put a bit of dog into them, rather the recruitment needs to find them.

This season no outfield player has developed in any way and most have noticeably got worse, even by their own low standards, the Head Coach has to be judged by that.

As for Hockaday, of course I'd love to see a proper boss in charge, but I think we mostly suspect that is unlikely, we need to find someone who will stabilise in Div 4, as with Luke at the helm I fear for the future.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #826 on: Tuesday, May 2, 2017, 14:37:54 »

A question, which has probably been covered to death already but I cannot be bothered to look, and thankfully I have had limited access to here over the last few weeks.

Williams constantly wittered on that he didn't want the job, had to be persuaded etc etc. Now if it was such a bind and you really didn't want to do it then why are you sticking around when its gone majorly tits up? I cannot imagine he got a huge wage increase to take it on?

Likewise Sherwood had a reasonably good reputation (at least at Spurs) before he came here and Williams was allegedly a great coach, in both cases their reputations are being eroded and shot to shit before our eyes - I do wonder whether there is more to all this?

Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #827 on: Tuesday, May 2, 2017, 15:50:38 »

How many players or managers have come out and said he is a good coach, from memory I can only think of it happening a couple of times, it is usuaslly Power praising him to the hilt to convince supporters.

If Williams is such a good highly rated coach why is he still here ?

Why has no bigger club snapped him up ?

Surely his position as manager / head coach is untenable he has been in charge of a team that has got relegated, there are no mitigating factors about smallest budget, huge injury crisis etc etc he has failed and as such as happens in the football word should be sacked.

How can another manager or coach come in with Williams still here, how would that work ? would the players run to Luke when something happened they didn't like his coaching methods would be the same as this season that failed how can he change or improve but at another club ?

Would the new guy be comfortable having to work with the old management team ?

We need an experienced spine to the team with younger players that can hopefully improve and be sold on in the future for profit, but just not all sold at once.

I'd like to see other teams that have got promoted from L2 the last few years the average age of their teams
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #828 on: Tuesday, May 2, 2017, 15:55:21 »

How many players or managers have come out and said he is a good coach, from memory I can only think of it happening a couple of times, it is usuaslly Power praising him to the hilt to convince supporters.

If Williams is such a good highly rated coach why is he still here ?

Why has no bigger club snapped him up ?

Surely his position as manager / head coach is untenable he has been in charge of a team that has got relegated, there are no mitigating factors about smallest budget, huge injury crisis etc etc he has failed and as such as happens in the football word should be sacked.

How can another manager or coach come in with Williams still here, how would that work ? would the players run to Luke when something happened they didn't like his coaching methods would be the same as this season that failed how can he change or improve but at another club ?

Would the new guy be comfortable having to work with the old management team ?

We need an experienced spine to the team with younger players that can hopefully improve and be sold on in the future for profit, but just not all sold at once.

I'd like to see other teams that have got promoted from L2 the last few years the average age of their teams
I don't remember one player ever in an interview stating how good a coach he is.

The only person who has ever said it has been Power himself, who also stated we turned down a bid from Sunderland for Williams when Poyet was in charge there who wanted him as head coach.

Nothing came from that though.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #829 on: Tuesday, May 2, 2017, 16:22:57 »

Of course it's a matter of opinion, but I read an interview with Steven Gerrard recently, he's taken on a Liverpool academy coach job, he was offered Franchise but turned it down, feeling too inexperienced.

Gerrard said academy players and I suppose by default academy coaches are all lollypops, Cruyff turns and trying to look good.  A Charlie Colkett if you like, whereas what he wants to develop is a more physical approach...a Tom Smith if you like.

I guess you feel that if the coach is handed the Colketts then he can't put a bit of dog into them, rather the recruitment needs to find them.

This season no outfield player has developed in any way and most have noticeably got worse, even by their own low standards, the Head Coach has to be judged by that.

As for Hockaday, of course I'd love to see a proper boss in charge, but I think we mostly suspect that is unlikely, we need to find someone who will stabilise in Div 4, as with Luke at the helm I fear for the future.

I can see where Riddick is coming from.

We were 6 points short in the end, but must have dropped well over twice that number from winning or drawing positions. I'm not sure that effective game management is something that can be coached into young players effectively when a season is in progress.
The problem with this squad has been what goes on in the space between the ears during a game.
Most top level sport is played in the head and a collective lack of a footballing brain has probably also contributed to the general impression of lack of fitness and organisation.

Feel a bit sorry for Luke but wouldn't be surprised to see him still here in August with maybe Embleton being a casualty of the "review".
Having said that, hope that Power does realise that it is time for a change.
There are plenty of coaches out there who would fit the bill, assuming that the model will not change much.
Adi Viveash might be a worth a go if he could be persuaded to give up the relative security of the academy environment. Plus he has the advantage over Williams of a decent playing career at league level.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #830 on: Tuesday, May 2, 2017, 16:27:32 »

I don't remember one player ever in an interview stating how good a coach he is.

The only person who has ever said it has been Power himself, who also stated we turned down a bid from Sunderland for Williams when Poyet was in charge there who wanted him as head coach.

Nothing came from that though.

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/swindon_town_2014/14507730.Ajose_puts_goalscoring_heroics_down_to_Luke_s_influence/?commentSort=score
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #831 on: Tuesday, May 2, 2017, 16:30:55 »

Also,

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/13316082.Ward_lavishes_praise_on__incredible__Town_number_two_Williams/

Unfortunate headline aside
Peter Venkman

« Reply #832 on: Tuesday, May 2, 2017, 16:52:51 »

I stand corrected, I never read the Adver I only listen to interviews on matchdays pre and post match so missed these 2 articles.

Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #833 on: Tuesday, May 2, 2017, 16:59:06 »

And not just town players

http://www.theleaguepaper.com/latest-news/football-league-division-one/4243/profile-swindon-town-manager-luke-williams/

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #834 on: Tuesday, May 2, 2017, 17:07:42 »

Well over a year ago.... reputation now in tatters. Luke need to go to another club as academy coach or some sort of assistant to rebuild his CV.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #835 on: Tuesday, May 2, 2017, 17:09:58 »

Well over a year ago.... reputation now in tatters. Luke need to go to another club as academy coach or some sort of assistant to rebuild his CV.
Definately this, his stock has to have gone down, head coach seems way past his level.

He always seemed a reluctant gaffer anyway.

Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #836 on: Tuesday, May 2, 2017, 17:28:10 »

His reputation has certainly been dented from this season but there are a lot of mitigating circumstances. Power and Sherwood being the two biggest! When Sherwood was appointed Williams basically became cone collector for 10 weeks, wheeled out to sit on the bench and answer questions pre and post match.

I'm not saying he's the messiah, or even the very best option for next season. Given how the club is run though I think there are a lot of worse options and I would not have a problem with him still leading the team.
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #837 on: Tuesday, May 2, 2017, 17:36:10 »

I was simply commenting that he has been called an excellent coach by people other than Power, I wasn't commenting on how true it might or might not be! It doesn't take a genius to work out that relegation doesn't look good on anyone's CV, but I have to agree there are mitigating circumstances.

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #838 on: Tuesday, May 2, 2017, 17:51:38 »

I cba to find it but there's an article with Andy Williams somewhere in the Adver archives giving massive credit to LW for his goalscoring run during the play off season. Uwe Rosler also gave him praise on the FL show a couple of weeks ago.

I have a culture, I don't stop my culture!!
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #839 on: Tuesday, May 2, 2017, 19:49:19 »

I still think Scott Parker would be an ideal fit as a player manager. Sadly I don't think there's any links with Power...
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 ... 63   Go Up
Print
Jump to: