Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 ... 63   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Luke Williams - ***CONFIRMED - HE'S GONE***  (Read 185124 times)
Johnny Reeves

Ignore
« Reply #555 on: Saturday, March 11, 2017, 17:37:22 »

Power is the one who needs to go but it's his business not our club anymore.He is not accountable to anyone but himself.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #556 on: Saturday, March 11, 2017, 17:45:13 »

He's got a 5 year contract. If I was him I wouldn't be walking. Time for Power to finally accept he fucked up and pay him off.

(This will not happen).

This is the Club's predimament, neatly summarised.  If I was Luke Williams, I wouldn't resign either.  To do so would be to forego a 4x salary pay off.  None of us would resign in those circumstances.  (And I'm sure that Mrs Williams would have a thing or two to say to Luke if he did.)

Luke Williams is, by all accounts, a nice chap.  But Power now needs to recognise, publicly, that offering him a 5 year contract was a mistake.  If he has the Club's best interests at heart, he also now has to give Luke Williams his notice.  It will cost money, but that is the price you pay for the rash decision to offer such a long contract.

No Swindon Manager that I can remember has kept his job in similar circumstances.  The only rationale for Luke Williams staying on is if the owner, Lee Power, is comfortable with STFC dropping to League 2.  If he is comfortable with this, he should be honest about it and say so.  In the 97 years since we joined the Football League (in 1920), we have dropped in to the 4th tier for only 5 or 6 seasons.  (Reg will be able to confirm.)  In short, we don't belong there.  There is explaining to do.  Don't buy the 'we're Swindon, we're crap, we deserve this' despondency.  We're better than this.  And we deserve more.
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #557 on: Saturday, March 11, 2017, 18:00:01 »

When it was first announced I was pretty convinced that there was more to the 5 year contract - I just find it hard to believe that someone as tight/shrewd as Power would put himself in such a suffer or pay up situation.

I guess it's like almost everything else that is happening at the club though in that no one really knows what is going on..

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #558 on: Saturday, March 11, 2017, 18:04:24 »

Let's crowd fund Luke Williams and Ross Embleton the fuck out of this football club...

Cool  Sad
woolster

« Reply #559 on: Saturday, March 11, 2017, 18:25:41 »

Surely moving him back to just being a coach would avoid any compensation if that is what Power wants to avoid. Were fucked now and my last bit of hope went today. Time for a change and get someone in who can have a good look at the squad for the last few games in preparation for the rebuilding exercise that needs to happen.
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #560 on: Saturday, March 11, 2017, 19:03:23 »

We have seen utter complacency from the fan base with regards to Williams, it's astonishing that calls for his head did not start at matches weeks ago. For all those who say we have a higher than average number of idiots that support us, bollocks, for someone so incompetent and with such a poor record Williams has been given a massively easy ride from the fans.

I can only put this down to too many supporters having the 'at least we have a club' mindset - what else would explain such acceptance?
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #561 on: Saturday, March 11, 2017, 19:10:08 »

Power is the one who needs to go but it's his business not our club anymore.He is not accountable to anyone but himself.
Then he desperately needs to have a word with himself.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #562 on: Saturday, March 11, 2017, 19:10:45 »

I can only put this down to too many supporters having the 'at least we have a club' mindset - what else would explain such acceptance?

We're in a relegation fight, if you choose to just spend an entire match calling Williams a wanker then you are a moron.

swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #563 on: Saturday, March 11, 2017, 19:15:38 »

We're in a relegation fight, if you choose to just spend an entire match calling Williams a wanker then you are a moron.
Call him what you like,  he's not going to save us from relegation.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
FrigbyDaser

Ignore
« Reply #564 on: Saturday, March 11, 2017, 19:16:39 »

Very good way of putting it. Safe to say many feel completely detached due to Power's methods. Nothing will change whilst he's here. The only thing he has "achieved" is to simultaneously produce a terrible football team and alienate the fan base to the point they don't care. But that's fine if you've managed to do a few property deals in Highworth. Utterly cancerous to the club.
Pericles

Ignore
« Reply #565 on: Saturday, March 11, 2017, 19:16:56 »

Luke Williams is a development coach. He talks like one and manages like one. He is tactically inept. His decisions are based on his mentality of developing young players. He plays them in a system that is designed to help them learn the game, not win competitive matches against managers with tactical nouse suited to the level they are managing at. Power wants to run Swindon like an acadamy so I guess that doesn't really matter what division we are in. We could still do the same at conference level. Williams interviews all point to his mentality as a development coach, 'players need to learn', 'experience can only come through experience', bollocks like that. Our form under his tenure has demonstrated this. We haven't had a decent run in two years. His man managment is probably the same, they are young kids which is his comfort zone. Trouble is when he is managing a youth squad there is no real pressure as long as some quality is coming off the conveyor belt. He is totally out of his depth at this level. I don't expect him to resign, he is on a cushy number. My worry is if he is still manager next season we can expect more of the same, in which case prepare for the worse. Part of me thinks when Power said 'he has given Luke the tools needed' suggests a kind of ultimatum, keep us up or get sacked, there is no excuse. However, I could be being a little optimistic here and accept he could be in charge in League 2 as well.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #566 on: Saturday, March 11, 2017, 19:23:48 »

Fight?
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #567 on: Saturday, March 11, 2017, 19:26:10 »

Call him what you like,  he's not going to save us from relegation.

Maybe not, but if we've got any chance at all it'll be by supporting the team, not calling the manager a tosser.

Fight?

Well.. Struggle!

Flashheart

« Reply #568 on: Saturday, March 11, 2017, 19:26:38 »

We're in a relegation whimper.
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #569 on: Saturday, March 11, 2017, 19:29:20 »

A relegation bum-fucking. I think it was clear what I meant  Cheesy