Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 ... 63   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Luke Williams - ***CONFIRMED - HE'S GONE***  (Read 185116 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #390 on: Tuesday, February 14, 2017, 12:02:47 »

The busted model as stands, doesn't look like it could achieve such heights....

Are you saying the plan of "do it the same, but better", coupled with Sherwood's super January transfer activity, doesn't give you optimism.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #391 on: Tuesday, February 14, 2017, 12:13:24 »

Are you saying the plan of "do it the same, but better", coupled with Sherwood's super January transfer activity, doesn't give you optimism.

I've been broadly supportive of the model, and pointed out a number of times what was needed was "to do it better," however there's zero evidence to think any lessons have been learned, or to think it will get better.  Quite the opposite, we're now looking at the worst set up in our history.... Conference football within 18 months is a very real prospect.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #392 on: Tuesday, February 14, 2017, 12:14:08 »

It obvious, and I wonder if I'm being annoyed for being annoyed sake, but this has irritated me.

He was probably just asked a question on OOC players and gave a reply. But I still don't see the timing of this very helpful

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/15089521._Yaser_may_need_a_fresh_start___says_Williams/?ref=mr&lp=2

If it makes Kasim pull his finger out and put himself in the shop window he'll be a tactical genius mind Smiley
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #393 on: Tuesday, February 14, 2017, 12:16:39 »

I've been broadly supportive of the model, and pointed out a number of times what was needed was "to do it better," however there's zero evidence to think any lessons have been learned, or to think it will get better.  Quite the opposite, we're now looking at the worst set up in our history.... Conference football within 18 months is a very real prospect.

What do you define as "do it better"

For me its introducing more of a balance of the experience of player we bring in.  To have adaptability and more directness and pace in our play and to not leave it until the very last minute only to bring in dregs and rejects.

But is that a realistic aim under "self sufficiency" (which we aren't anyway, as Power says).

Selling out best players is inevitable. To rebuild the squad at every window is not.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #394 on: Tuesday, February 14, 2017, 12:19:29 »

Yaser has been away with the fairies, since the Asia Cup. It's a shame, and Luke does sound genuinely sad as he's his boy. However, the club have tried to bend over backwards to accommodate him, to no good affect...so don't see owt wrong in him now stating the bleeding obvious.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #395 on: Tuesday, February 14, 2017, 12:36:46 »

What do you define as "do it better"

For me its introducing more of a balance of the experience of player we bring in.  To have adaptability and more directness and pace in our play and to not leave it until the very last minute only to bring in dregs and rejects.

But is that a realistic aim under "self sufficiency" (which we aren't anyway, as Power says).

Selling out best players is inevitable. To rebuild the squad at every window is not.

It's the aggregate effect of small decisions....chaos theory if you like.  Take as an example, last summer, and I'm taking figures here as we were told.....we spent £400K on a keeper and £150K on a striker. For me, a decent striker is of more use than a decent keeper, so the spending should have been the other way around, however Power obviously felt he can make money out of Vigs, so the winning games bit is secondary.

Similarly, and again I go by what we were told, Jordan Turnbull ended up at Cov, who are worse than us. The reason... Power didn't like the large sell on clause  put top on by Soton.  Now Jordan, wasn't great last season, but young centre halves mature with experience and he had a couple of years behind him here, also left CH's are in short supply generally in football. He was surely the sort of thing we should have been picking up on a 3 yr deal rather than a Connor Thomas.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #396 on: Tuesday, February 14, 2017, 12:39:36 »

yeah, can't really disagree with that. Profit over football decisions.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, February 14, 2017, 12:50:08 by Batch » Logged
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #397 on: Tuesday, February 14, 2017, 12:42:30 »

I've been broadly supportive of the model, and pointed out a number of times what was needed was "to do it better," however there's zero evidence to think any lessons have been learned, or to think it will get better.  Quite the opposite, we're now looking at the worst set up in our history.... Conference football within 18 months is a very real prospect.

Its been undoubtedly total wank this year, however as the summer will undoubtedly lead to another massive churn of players (as does every summer under this 'model', I think trying to project where we may end up in subsequent seasons if somewhat pointless at this stage.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #398 on: Tuesday, February 14, 2017, 12:43:45 »

Reg is spot on about Power's priorities when it comes to recruitment - it's with profit in mind rather than what we actually need.

A pissy L1 club should not be spending £400,000 on a GK - if he did. If he didn't the top 10 budget is bollocks.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #399 on: Tuesday, February 14, 2017, 12:48:38 »

Reg is spot on about Power's priorities when it comes to recruitment - it's with profit in mind rather than what we actually need.

A pissy L1 club should not be spending £400,000 on a GK - if he did. If he didn't the top 10 budget is bollocks.

But Vigourous will be worth considerably more as a Div 3 player rather than a Div 4 one, so if money is everything why not sell him in January?
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #400 on: Tuesday, February 14, 2017, 12:51:31 »

Power often talks of the 90 minutes from the Championship as evidence his model can work.

The thing is that season we still had the spine of a team, so adding young players to it gave them an opportunity to shine.

This season (and last) the spine has dwindled to Nathan, Yasser & Obika.
All of which are injured most of the time or not interested (Yasser).

Signing the players we do some are going to work & some won't, but in a team without significant experience even the good ones have failed to show up.

First & foremost we need a steady spine to build a team around.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #401 on: Tuesday, February 14, 2017, 12:52:26 »

When he goes this summer he'll be sold as a L1 keeper. As good as he is, essentially, all he's really done is keep the score down in a lot of games.

I still don't believe he paid £400,000 for him or anywhere near £150,000 for Norris.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #402 on: Tuesday, February 14, 2017, 12:56:42 »

Power often talks of the 90 minutes from the Championship as evidence his model can work.

The thing is that season we still had the spine of a team, so adding young players to it gave them an opportunity to shine.

Signing the players we do some are going to work & some won't, but in a team without significant experience even the good ones have failed to show up.

True, and we also had a couple like Fods and Andy Williams left over from the previous regime.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #403 on: Tuesday, February 14, 2017, 13:09:39 »

True, and we also had a couple like Fods and Andy Williams left over from the previous regime.

And we had better youngsters (Luongo/Mason) and players who his form and "found a position" (Gladwin/Byrne). Though it did go tits up after the Asia cup a bit...
Chrystovski

« Reply #404 on: Tuesday, February 14, 2017, 13:55:55 »

And I almost shagged a model once, I didn't so it counts for nothing. This 90 mins BS needs to stop, we got hammered 4-0 !!! 4 fucking nil, we were an utter embarrassment, christ if that's 90 minutes away from the Championship then maybe this current squad isn't as far away as I thought!!

It's the most irritating line LP uses!! Stop it, you are not convincing anyone!
« Last Edit: Tuesday, February 14, 2017, 13:59:07 by Chrystovski » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 ... 63   Go Up
Print
Jump to: