Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 63   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Luke Williams - ***CONFIRMED - HE'S GONE***  (Read 186312 times)
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #90 on: Tuesday, February 7, 2017, 13:26:15 »

I see no evidence of him being a decent coach. I think that's as big a smokescreen as Sherwood. There is something very rotten at the club and it has been allowed to fester and fester and there are no signs of anything getting better. Despite Power saying Vigs not transferred as the money would not compensate for relegation, I see no evidence that Power wants us to stay up. We've been allowed to decline and it ain't stopping just yet. We never learn.   
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: Tuesday, February 7, 2017, 13:32:45 »

Agree about the coaching

For me a number of young players have not kicked on as they should have in recent times, eg Brophy, Boo, Barry, Hylton  though this could reflect the strain of management
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: Tuesday, February 7, 2017, 13:33:07 »

It's all the little things that add up.

The reluctance to recruit any seasoned pros - doesn't want any boat rocking

The promise of 'jam tomorrow' if they sign for peanuts now.

The players being lightweight is just a consequence of their young age

To me, it's looking like the club is being run to showcase youngsters in the hope that 1 will eventually become an asset. There is nothing wrong with that, per se, but it's a scattergun approach with no experience to nurture the young 'uns.

Surely Power is aware that even a talented youngster is going to be consumed by playing in a team/style like ours.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #93 on: Tuesday, February 7, 2017, 13:37:38 »

Who was it that actually said Williams was one of the most sought after and best coaches in the league?

Who said we fended off an approach from Sunderland and other Premier League teams for him?

Unfortunately I am pretty sure it was Lee Power, and only Lee Power, I don't think it has been said actually anywhere outside of our club.

This isn't an attack on Power but I do think there is a smokescreen concerning coaching at the club and I truly don't understand why, what have we got to hide/boast about?

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Captain Beefheart

Fast and bulbous, tight also.

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: Tuesday, February 7, 2017, 13:40:29 »

What the point in being proclaimed a top 'coach' if the things that you supposedly 'coach' on the training ground bear absolutely no fruition on the pitch? The supposed 'philosophy' of Williams is a complete fallacy. I see nothing philosophical or purposeful about passing the ball aimlessly to the inevitable end of conceding chances and goals. Cooper's playoff side had purpose and some of that purpose survived in Ling's side last season. Now I see nothing.
Don Rogers Sock

« Reply #95 on: Tuesday, February 7, 2017, 13:42:22 »

You only have to look at todays development team to see there are no real consequences for the shit the current lot are producing week in week out.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: Tuesday, February 7, 2017, 13:42:33 »

People either believe what Power says or they don't.

There's no way of verifying whether he turned down a bid for Vigs

Or if we really do have a top 10 budget

Or if we are debt free and breaking even

The rhetoric on a phone in is all well and good but there is absolutely nothing transparent about how the club is run.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #97 on: Tuesday, February 7, 2017, 13:42:56 »

It isn't made any easier by having the quality of his squad deteriorated, but I'm not arguing the point. The teams defending has been diabolic for months, although the back 3 or 4 have been OK in recent weeks IMO.

I don't agree with your point about pressure/mental health issues though. He should be sacked for being crap/lack of progress as you state.
#

Has the squad really got that much worse since he took over? Apart from Ajose, I can't really think of one player we've missed or haven't replaced like-for-like.
Private Fraser

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: Tuesday, February 7, 2017, 13:48:00 »

I think there is enough 'quality' in the squad to be a comfortable mid-table L1 side.  It's how they are being told to play that's the problem.  They under-perform week after week.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: Tuesday, February 7, 2017, 13:52:30 »

People either believe what Power says or they don't.

There's no way of verifying whether he turned down a bid for Vigs

Or if we really do have a top 10 budget

Or if we are debt free and breaking even

The rhetoric on a phone in is all well and good but there is absolutely nothing transparent about how the club is run.

Power is good at keeping us guessing and many believe him.

Unlike Jed who came out with such tosh it had to be 100% bollox
« Last Edit: Tuesday, February 7, 2017, 13:54:13 by RedRag » Logged
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: Tuesday, February 7, 2017, 13:57:51 »

He seems to be a genuinely decent fellow who is probably very good at coaching the technical side of the game to teenagers.  He clearly hasn't been able to make the switch to team management, though.  That requires a different skill set and he just doesn't seem to have it. 
Think this is the core of the problem. And I think Williams knows it too, but he's been overpromoted and doesn't seem to be able to step back down.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: Tuesday, February 7, 2017, 13:58:00 »

I think his USP of being the only ex-player turned owner has been shown to have no benefit whatsoever - if anything, disregarding the 'traditional' method of running a club, i.e.  the owner keeping his nose out and employing a manager to oversee all things football, is the main reason we are where we are.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: Tuesday, February 7, 2017, 14:11:58 »

Power is a control freak who is unable to work with anyone who could limit or take away his control in any sphere of the club and the people he employs are yes men (or to some degree vulnerable as was the excellent Lingy)

That might work but if you are a non-dom there is no one in charge, only the player's best mate LW

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: Tuesday, February 7, 2017, 14:19:43 »

Quote from: Simon Pieman
It isn't made any easier by having the quality of his squad deteriorated, but I'm not arguing the point. The teams defending has been diabolic for months, although the back 3 or 4 have been OK in recent weeks IMO.

I don't agree with your point about pressure/mental health issues though. He should be sacked for being crap/lack of progress as you state.
#

Has the squad really got that much worse since he took over? Apart from Ajose, I can't really think of one player we've missed or haven't replaced like-for-like.

no not really, but it is far worse than the playoff year IMO, and that seems to be the benchmark of 'look it worked' ..

it's going to be difficult to replicate that with what we have.

I accept others disagree
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #104 on: Tuesday, February 7, 2017, 14:34:42 »

#

no not really, but it is far worse than the playoff year IMO, and that seems to be the benchmark of 'look it worked' ..

it's going to be difficult to replicate that with what we have.

I accept others disagree

I do see your point but we have got progressively worse since he took over
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 63   Go Up
Print
Jump to: