Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 10   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Current Predicament...  (Read 20666 times)
GL5 Red

« on: Monday, January 23, 2017, 13:44:14 »

Rovers away and Scum at home. Two big games, genuinely nervous about both given our squad and lack of quality.  Posted on here previously highlighting my concerns of Power, unfortunately those concerns- awful singings, dwindling crowds have unfortunately proved right. At what point do those constantly defending Power become concerned? Lifelong supporters patience tested to the maximum and refusing to part with hard earned cash for season tickets again until there is a positive change.  For me, lose the next two games and even the most optimistic had to surely question Power. Personally, never felt so depressed supporting Swindon.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Monday, January 23, 2017, 13:54:46 »

I've never been part of the Power out brigade, but Saturday has me questioning whether I can justify the time & money to go and watch them any more.

A loss to the Gas & even worse a humiliation at home to the Scum may just be the straw.

I understand the arguments of sustainability, and fundamentally we have no choice unless we can find someone who is willing to piss away money for nothing on us.

However, the lack of entertainment & enjoyment from going to games with little prospect of any improvement is getting to the point where I'm having second thoughts.

Football used to be the time we spent together as a family, but with my son away at University & my wife having passed away last year it's a lonely trek down to be made even more depressed, but it's the feeling that this is our lot until something changes in the boardroom.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Monday, January 23, 2017, 13:55:36 »

Short answer: Not that happy, but no real options. Got to suck it in and hope. The alternative is to proactively pressure him - which will go one of three way (in order of likelihood) - ignored, badly, luck out on an unexpectedly good new owner.

Long answer:
I'm not defending Power. I think the current policy of youth approach is too extreme. For me the aim has to be more to look forward to than "develop a few Prem academy flops, flog em on, try and stay in the league". Its only ever worked when tactics Tim leant/sold us the Spurs lot - so far anyway

However...without the benefit of actual detailed accounts (and the accountants to interpret them) Its hard to see if sustainability can be done another way. Powers way may actually be the safest way financially.

Alternatively, if he's taking the club for a ride then he's not going to give it up.

I've done my share of protesting at more clear cut dodgy regimes. I think we'll have to sit this period out and hope the next owner is richer.

Also...
refusing to part with hard earned cash for season tickets again until there is a positive change
If the number of people that say they aren't renewing don't, then we may see some change to the approach.

2. Want to see how the transfer Window finishes before commenting on whether TS is totally useless.

Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Monday, January 23, 2017, 13:58:46 »

The more people stay away the more the budget will be cut and the more shit signings we'll get. Vicious cycle but people are daft if they think people staying away will change anything for the better.

I'm not saying don't stay away, just expect it to get worse if you do.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Monday, January 23, 2017, 13:59:47 »

Football used to be the time we spent together as a family, but with my son away at University & my wife having passed away last year it's a lonely trek down to be made even more depressed,

And its posts like this that sadden me most, we always have transient fans, but when the most committed feel like this .....

That's not a dig Posh, totally understand. I live in Swindon and take my boys - if they weren't going I'd feeling the same (then probably renew anyway). And that's without travel.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Monday, January 23, 2017, 14:00:46 »

For sustainability to be accepted, albeit reluctantly, by fans, they need to see the figures backing it up. Otherwise more and more fans will equate Power's version of sustainability as a shroud to line his own pockets - a view held by more than a few 'excitable' fans since his arrival.

Personally, I think the biggest danger of the present system is the total apathy permeating the fanbase.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Monday, January 23, 2017, 14:02:18 »

The more people stay away the more the budget will be cut and the more shit signings we'll get. Vicious cycle but people are daft if they think people staying away will change anything for the better.

I'm not saying don't stay away, just expect it to get worse if you do.

I don't think people are staying away in the expectation that it changes things. At least *most* that I've talked to (not that many) have been about the enjoyment being sucked out of it all. Maybe my sample size isn't large enough.

But if the model becomes unworkable then things will change. Can this mode work in league 2, or the conference?
GL5 Red

« Reply #7 on: Monday, January 23, 2017, 14:04:42 »

Fair replies. You are right Talis. I still go to home games but do not enjoy it and do it because I support Swindon. However, numbers are at all time low, for me defeat to Oxford again will be bitter, bitter pill to swallow so just hope we avoid at all costs. I have said from day one that I do not grist power, however as a poster points out, unless we have a wealthy benefactor what is the alternative. For me, I think the only way he will consider going is when crowds really do fall, carry on with policy and this will be soon., financially will cost him, hopefully then we can see if and a big if there is anyone out there who will give us a team to be proud of. Live in hope.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Monday, January 23, 2017, 14:07:21 »

Good job the internet wasn't around in the early/mid eighties when we truly were awful. Half the fan base would have topped themselves. Today isn't anything compared to then boy's and girls. At least after a shit performance you don't get a knuckle sandwich to help you on the way home.
Panda Paws

« Reply #9 on: Monday, January 23, 2017, 14:09:47 »

However, numbers are at all time low

No they're not. You've made some good points, but don't make things up to strengthen your opinion.

Sutton's right. Most of us have known it worse than this, but the grumblings by the average fan are heard louder and by more people.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Monday, January 23, 2017, 14:10:32 »

Posted on here previously highlighting my concerns of Power, unfortunately those concerns- awful singings, dwindling crowds have unfortunately proved right
Bit harsh to have a go at him for his singing. We're not all blessed with a good voice.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #11 on: Monday, January 23, 2017, 14:12:59 »

Good job the internet wasn't around in the early/mid eighties when we truly were awful. Half the fan base would have topped themselves. Today isn't anything compared to then boy's and girls. At least after a shit performance you don't get a knuckle sandwich to help you on the way home.
Fucking hell....so much this. We used to be REALLY fucking shit and played in front of crowds of under 2,500 week in week out.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Monday, January 23, 2017, 14:13:15 »

Otherwise more and more fans will equate Power's version of sustainability as a shroud to line his own pockets
WTF? What kind of fucking weirdo would line their pockets with a shroud? Jesus.
GL5 Red

« Reply #13 on: Monday, January 23, 2017, 14:13:27 »

Dunno, scum away back in September was lively, fuckers stitch up right up in the fact we have to get from train station to ground in tiny groups.  Scum then relish picking on small numbers of Swindon, not so keen after though when numbers are more even.  I digress! Back to the subject matter, unless Power has a sudden change of heart we are going to have to put up with this dross until he realises fans will not part with hard earned cash to watch substandard players no one else wants. Very depressing.  Only 18 months or so ago we had a squad to be proud of, now we have a squad who may take us into league 2.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Monday, January 23, 2017, 14:17:05 »

Harking back to All Our Yesterdays is a valid point.

When we were crap in the 80s it was virtually accepted as just being 'our turn'. As far as we knew every similar club ebbed and flowed just the same. Budgets were unheard of or thought about. We were all about the same, weren't we? We'll be back in a few seasons when it's our turn again, won't we?

Now we know the ins and outs of most clubs and comparisons are easily made.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to: