Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 ... 49   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The not STFC transfer rumours thread  (Read 182788 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #270 on: Friday, July 26, 2019, 13:43:00 »

What really bugs me is that the press lauds it up as a fairytale story of a small club rising up despite the odds. That just is not the case.
How very Bournemouth.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #271 on: Friday, July 26, 2019, 13:45:39 »

Equity injections are fine, much better than the obviously fake Sponsorship deals and certainly a lot better than Director's loans.  At least in these instances the money goes into the business and is never added to a debt pile for the day the club runs out of cash - like Bury.  They are essentially taking a long term gamble - invest their personal money into the club, show they can use their years of footballing experience and create something of value down the road.  It's a much better financed version of Power.  Personally, I think they'd do their brand more positive impact if they could build the club up using younger talent, but if they want to give their money away, fine by me.
Trashbat?

Ignore
« Reply #272 on: Friday, July 26, 2019, 13:56:17 »

I can't get my head round the Salford thing, the only endgame I can see is trying to do a Bournemouth and get premiership money. As surely those directors despite how deep their pockets are, don't want to be stuck in L1 or the Championship for years on end paying out big wages.

Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #273 on: Friday, July 26, 2019, 13:56:21 »

The fact that Salford, who get gates of at least half of what we do can pay players probably 4 or 5 times what we can means that FFP isn't working.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #274 on: Friday, July 26, 2019, 14:10:14 »

The fact that Salford, who get gates of at least half of what we do can pay players probably 4 or 5 times what we can means that FFP isn't working.
I agree.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #275 on: Tuesday, July 30, 2019, 18:27:21 »

city getting another massive fee, Webster for £20 million. they have been raking it in last few seasons and improving their league position still with re-investment.

Power must be kicking himself- there is such massive money floating around in the top 2 leagues now and average players going for top dollar. no wonder all these clubs are busting a bollock to try and get there. i miss the days when we had assets (doughty the only one). league 2 sides very rarely do though its usually old players on the way down or loan players.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #276 on: Wednesday, July 31, 2019, 10:38:57 »

Pochettino getting grumpy about his lack of input into Spurs' transfers "May as well just call me a coach, I'm not a manager here"

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jul/30/pochettino-spurs-job-title-tranfers-real-madrid-gareth-bale
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #277 on: Wednesday, July 31, 2019, 10:55:27 »

If only Man U had waited...mwhaha
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #278 on: Wednesday, July 31, 2019, 13:06:00 »

city getting another massive fee, Webster for £20 million. they have been raking it in last few seasons and improving their league position still with re-investment.

Power must be kicking himself- there is such massive money floating around in the top 2 leagues now and average players going for top dollar. no wonder all these clubs are busting a bollock to try and get there. i miss the days when we had assets (doughty the only one). league 2 sides very rarely do though its usually old players on the way down or loan players.

Well, apart from the fact that they are making massive losses that Lansdown is having to cover every year and are in huge debt to him personally.  That fee will probably not cover their losses for the season.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #279 on: Wednesday, July 31, 2019, 16:41:49 »

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49155763

Imagine if this was the striker we signed!
I see Oldham have signed a team of French and beyond players - Reg will have fun that team
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #280 on: Thursday, August 1, 2019, 07:56:31 »

Equity injections are fine, much better than the obviously fake Sponsorship deals and certainly a lot better than Director's loans.  At least in these instances the money goes into the business and is never added to a debt pile for the day the club runs out of cash - like Bury.  They are essentially taking a long term gamble - invest their personal money into the club, show they can use their years of footballing experience and create something of value down the road.  It's a much better financed version of Power.  Personally, I think they'd do their brand more positive impact if they could build the club up using younger talent, but if they want to give their money away, fine by me.

Agreed.

It seems entirely reasonable to be able to invest in the equity of your club and so be permitted to sign more expensive players.  Risk:Reward with your own money is surely legitimate.  This isn't communist China.

The "evil" of clubs going bust, sacking backroom staff and shafting creditors need not thereby become more likely, as with glory chairmen borrowing on behalf of the club and risking little of their own money. 

Clubs can become subject to manipulation of course, eg losing a ground due to bank foreclosure or even conflict of interest deals with owner-connected parties.  Not sure how the FL rules work there - or for that matter the extent to which STFC might be covering Clem M's investment risk?
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #281 on: Thursday, August 1, 2019, 10:17:11 »

Just noticed that Matt Mills has pitched up at FGR to join his brother. Both Swindon boys, must mean that they have more Swindon-born players than we do...

Matt was an excellent CB a few years ago as well, if he's still in decent shape that seems like a cracker of a signing.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #282 on: Thursday, August 1, 2019, 10:53:55 »

Just noticed that Matt Mills has pitched up at FGR to join his brother. Both Swindon boys, must mean that they have more Swindon-born players than we do...

Matt was an excellent CB a few years ago as well, if he's still in decent shape that seems like a cracker of a signing.
33 now and played under Phil Brown at Pune City in India as his last club. I'm sure that will have finished him off.
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #283 on: Thursday, August 1, 2019, 11:46:45 »

I can't get my head round the Salford thing, the only endgame I can see is trying to do a Bournemouth and get premiership money. As surely those directors despite how deep their pockets are, don't want to be stuck in L1 or the Championship for years on end paying out big wages.

I suspect their aim is to rise up the leagues as quickly as they can, the higher they rise the bigger crowds will turn up, more sponsorship money etc and with the 92 boys there they will always get the exposure and while Neville, Giggs, Beckham & Butt are happy to throw money their way you can only see them rising and you would expect them to be able to afford a better class of player than a lot of other teams.

While they are winning its all fun, but if they start to hit a stick patch in L2 where it looks like they are not going to go up it will be interesting, I think they have banked on promotion this season to L1.

Their wage bill must be at least treble that of a 'normal' L2 team.
Private Fraser

Ignore
« Reply #284 on: Thursday, August 1, 2019, 11:53:37 »

Villa sign the wonderfully named Marvelous Nakamba. 
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 ... 49   Go Up
Print
Jump to: