Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 ... 49   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The not STFC transfer rumours thread  (Read 182617 times)
ferret

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: Tuesday, January 8, 2019, 13:13:19 »

When we won this league our top scorer was Connell with 13, we just spread the other goals around which is more how you'd want it in an ideal world.

Yes but even a striker who was on course for 13 in the season should have 7 or 8 by now. With Adebayo having returned, our outright top league scorer excluding penalties is Taylor, the left back, on 3. It is going to be extremely difficult for a team to succeed with that kind of stat.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #181 on: Tuesday, January 8, 2019, 13:13:47 »

I totally understand that a team can sometimes do well without a prolific scorer, and I totally understand that a team with a prolific scorer can sometimes struggle. But, to state the obvious, having a prolific scorer will increase a team's chances of success.
This. 100%

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: Tuesday, January 8, 2019, 13:15:34 »

Reg did raise an interesting point, which I think should factor into player recruitment, especially at this level.  The goals from our central defenders, specifically from attacking free kicks and corners.  If you can source a defender who can score you a handful from corners it takes some of the forward pressure off, and given the volume of situations you get (due to erratic defending at times by less competent players at L2 level) it is an area that should come into the equation when deciding who to recruit.

That doesn't stop the obvious point though, that having someone who can score 20 odd goals is clearly an advantage for any team at any level.
Trashbat?

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: Tuesday, January 8, 2019, 13:22:09 »

The winner on Saturday was a great example of what we have missed all season by not having a traditional target man in the team. I'm not saying he will change our season, but it helps to have someone that can actually win a header up front.

Imagine the damage Woolery could do running in behind a defence from some flick ons.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: Tuesday, January 8, 2019, 15:51:02 »

Reg did raise an interesting point, which I think should factor into player recruitment, especially at this level.  The goals from our central defenders, specifically from attacking free kicks and corners.  If you can source a defender who can score you a handful from corners it takes some of the forward pressure off, and given the volume of situations you get (due to erratic defending at times by less competent players at L2 level) it is an area that should come into the equation when deciding who to recruit.

That doesn't stop the obvious point though, that having someone who can score 20 odd goals is clearly an advantage for any team at any level.

When Sturrock pissed Div 4 with Plymuff.... his leading scorer was the new Wovers gaffer, a centre half.  His front man Mickey Evans was one of those journeymen, who worked hard and get some goals but not that many.

The point is that when Brown got shot of Luke N and Mullin, people assumed we'd get something like a replacement for Luke... for whatever reason we didn't. I guess the hope was to get a last season out of Richards, but so far not to be.

If you know there isn't an out and out goalscorer, then you've got to adjust the style of play, and use what you have got accordingly. 

Sometimes then you can find a scorer perhaps previously overlooked, like Alan Mac who'd scored 3 in 45 games for Macari, over 3 seasons having started as a full back but then scored 13 for Ossie in 89/90, playing behind the front 2..... this meant we got a mill for him and he went to the WC.

It's quite common for gaffers to say to players, here's your goal target for the season.... so for example Kyle Knoyle, a useful player and improving.... no reason seemingly why you couldn't get say 3 goals out of him.  Sid Nelson, OK we don't know his future but he attacks the ball, so why not 4 goals from him... McCourt likes a shot, could he get 5?

This is where Brown fell down, it may have been his "clean sheet" mentality, but he never found the syle or maverick punt which compensated for not having a goalscorer.
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: Tuesday, January 8, 2019, 18:49:19 »

The classic example of goals from other players than strikers being Paul Boson and Shaun Taylor with 13 each in 1992/3. There was a spell in January and February where Bodin scored 5 in 7 including crucial winners in 1-0 victories over Pompey and Wolves.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: Tuesday, January 8, 2019, 21:10:23 »

The classic example of goals from other players than strikers being Paul Boson and Shaun Taylor with 13 each in 1992/3. There was a spell in January and February where Bodin scored 5 in 7 including crucial winners in 1-0 victories over Pompey and Wolves.

Yes.... an amazing season.

Something which a lot of the younger readers won't know is that arguably our greatest ever side of 68/69, didn't play with a striker as such at all. Peter Noble, who was a slight fella, played as a false 9, but he did score important goals.  We had a more recognised centre forward in Chris Jones, but he didn't always play.  The Don who did provide 20+ goals was an out and out winger.

When Peter left us for Burnley, who played as first a midfielder and then a full back, and took up pen duties, achieving what is considered a record of scoring all the 28 pens he took in his career.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: Wednesday, January 9, 2019, 13:51:08 »

It would appear that Bolton's chairman is now slowly going round the bend.....

https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2019/january/a-note-from-the-chairman2/

He's gone peak Partridge......
« Last Edit: Wednesday, January 9, 2019, 13:55:33 by horlock07 » Logged
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: Wednesday, January 9, 2019, 14:45:20 »

Ah, but he hasnt stated that a debt from 1958 would stop us signing players, when we had obviously signed hundreds since!
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: Wednesday, January 9, 2019, 14:51:06 »

While funny for everyone else, statements like this really should not be allowed to go through, in a professional capacity.

Now we know who the real Sir Dread KEN is! Absolutely shambolic at least Power knows when to keep quiet  Cheesy

BWFC has got admin written all over it.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: Wednesday, January 9, 2019, 15:49:17 »

Holy fuck.

That is amazing!
FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: Wednesday, January 9, 2019, 15:51:46 »

While funny for everyone else, statements like this really should not be allowed to go through, in a professional capacity.

Now we know who the real Sir Dread KEN is! Absolutely shambolic at least Power knows when to keep quiet  Cheesy

BWFC has got admin written all over it.
That is fucking tremendous.

I have a culture, I don't stop my culture!!
Trashbat?

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: Wednesday, January 9, 2019, 16:04:06 »

very odd statement, although would love to know if the stuff about FGR trying to renegotiate the deal was true.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: Thursday, January 10, 2019, 08:50:07 »

the highs of May 2017 and May 2018, the concerts and the rugby league matches.

Yes, I think you might be slightly misjudging what football fans consider highs here Ken.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #194 on: Saturday, January 19, 2019, 10:41:47 »

I see Jay Emmanuel_Thomas has signed for PTT Rayong in the Thai league 1, perhaps FH can get along and scout him see if hes worth us trying to sign in the summer Cheesy

Surprised to see hes still only just turned 28, would have been the type of striker we could have done with.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 ... 49   Go Up
Print
Jump to: