Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 ... 49   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The not STFC transfer rumours thread  (Read 182616 times)
ferret

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: Monday, January 7, 2019, 18:52:53 »

We could do so much more with a decent goal hanger. Our top league scorer inside the last 3 months is Pryce, with 2.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: Monday, January 7, 2019, 19:02:41 »

I see Bolton havent also paid for the loan players they had from Norwich. Cheeky bastards.
FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: Monday, January 7, 2019, 19:40:48 »

We could do so much more with a decent goal hanger. Our top league scorer inside the last 3 months is Pryce, with 2.
& they were within 18 minutes of each other. The lack of an out & out goal scorer has killed us so far. Take out Doughty's pens & I assume that Adebayo is our top scorer with 5 from memory?? Was it actually confirmed that he's gone back to Fulham?

I have a culture, I don't stop my culture!!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: Monday, January 7, 2019, 19:41:25 »

Quote from: ferret

really? blimey.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: Monday, January 7, 2019, 20:45:29 »

really? blimey.

No not really (goal hanger that is).... all you need to do is look at the league leaders, who rock up at the CG on Sat, they've 5 strikers, Green 2 in 19, McCarton 4 in 22, Pett 3 in 24, and Rhead 1 in 19.... Akinde has 9 but 5 pens, so 4 from open play.

That's 14 from open play....however they had 16 from midfielders, 15 from open play and a further half dozen from defenders.

Take out Akinde's pens and their leading scorer is Anderson a midfielder with 5.   Where we fall down is not getting enough goals from around the squad, as well as being a bit down on striker rates. Our front players have managed 11, but midfielders only 6, when Doughty's 4 pens are taken out.

Our defenders have managed 5, 3 of which are Taylor free kicks.

Of course if you can find an out and out scorer, all well and good, but they are thin on the ground, and as Lincoln prove you can get around it, which would probably make sense for us to do that.
FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: Monday, January 7, 2019, 20:53:10 »

No not really (goal hanger that is).... all you need to do is look at the league leaders, who rock up at the CG on Sat, they've 5 strikers, Green 2 in 19, McCarton 4 in 22, Pett 3 in 24, and Rhead 1 in 19.... Akinde has 9 but 5 pens, so 4 from open play.

That's 14 from open play....however they had 16 from midfielders, 15 from open play and a further half dozen from defenders.

Take out Akinde's pens and their leading scorer is Anderson a midfielder with 5.   Where we fall down is not getting enough goals from around the squad, as well as being a bit down on striker rates. Our front players have managed 11, but midfielders only 6, when Doughty's 4 pens are taken out.

Our defenders have managed 5, 3 of which are Taylor free kicks.

Of course if you can find an out and out scorer, all well and good, but they are thin on the ground, and as Lincoln prove you can get around it, which would probably make sense for us to do that.
The fact the rest of the squad hasn't chipped in with goals further highlights why we have suffered without an out & out goalscorer.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: Monday, January 7, 2019, 21:09:53 »

The fact the rest of the squad hasn't chipped in with goals further highlights why we have suffered without an out & out goalscorer.

No what it highlights is that we don't score enough goals and there are different ways to score goals besides a goal hanger.

So for example we haven't had a centre half head in a corner all season.... further although we can rely on Taylor for a few free kicks, I'm struggling to remember a midfieder scoring, a proper long ranger.... Alzate got a couple from perhaps the edge of the box.

At the start of the season it was pointed out, that relying on a loan kid up front wasn't a template for getting up, and presumably the management knew this and were trying other ways to get goals around the squad
FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: Monday, January 7, 2019, 21:21:25 »

No what it highlights is that we don't score enough goals and there are different ways to score goals besides a goal hanger.

So for example we haven't had a centre half head in a corner all season.... further although we can rely on Taylor for a few free kicks, I'm struggling to remember a midfieder scoring, a proper long ranger.... Alzate got a couple from perhaps the edge of the box.

At the start of the season it was pointed out, that relying on a loan kid up front wasn't a template for getting up, and presumably the management knew this and were trying other ways to get goals around the squad
Exactly. As you've correctly stated the rest of the squad don't chip in with enough goals. This further illustrates how not having an out & out goal scorer has hindered us. This wouldn't have been so noticeable if the likes of Doughty, Alzate, Anderson etc had been netting from time to time. But they haven't. So a 20 goal a season striker would have made a massive difference.
Your use of Lincoln is a bad example as their goals have been shared around the team meaning the lack of an out & out goalscorer has hurt them far less than it has us.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: Monday, January 7, 2019, 21:38:31 »

Exactly. As you've correctly stated the rest of the squad don't chip in with enough goals. This further illustrates how not having an out & out goal scorer has hindered us. This wouldn't have been so noticeable if the likes of Doughty, Alzate, Anderson etc had been netting from time to time. But they haven't. So a 20 goal a season striker would have made a massive difference.
Your use of Lincoln is a bad example as their goals have been shared around the team meaning the lack of an out & out goalscorer has hurt them far less than it has us.

But the out and goal scorer is very difficult to find.... everyone wants one, and then if you do find one like Exeter you have to sell.

Even if you have one it doesn't guarantee points, the Div's leading scorer is at Tranny on 16, yet they've only 3 more points than us. Just saying well if you'd put Norwood into our side we'd be x points better off, doesn't work that way.

It's about systems of play, getting maximum use out of individuals, a bit like when Lou Macari got 18 goals out of Charlie Henry one season, converting him from full back to attacking midfielder, or as latest Loathed Stranger, Grant Smith, who suddenly became a goalscorer like Charlie converting from full back to behind the front players...

The fellas who need to step up in our set up, are particularly Kaiyne and Keshi.... OK we know Kaiyne has only just come back, but we need these 2 to get say 10 goals each by May.
FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #174 on: Monday, January 7, 2019, 21:50:23 »

But the out and goal scorer is very difficult to find.... everyone wants one, and then if you do find one like Exeter you have to sell.

Even if you have one it doesn't guarantee points, the Div's leading scorer is at Tranny on 16, yet they've only 3 more points than us. Just saying well if you'd put Norwood into our side we'd be x points better off, doesn't work that way.

It's about systems of play, getting maximum use out of individuals, a bit like when Lou Macari got 18 goals out of Charlie Henry one season, converting him from full back to attacking midfielder, or as latest Loathed Stranger, Grant Smith, who suddenly became a goalscorer like Charlie converting from full back to behind the front players...

The fellas who need to step up in our set up, are particularly Kaiyne and Keshi.... OK we know Kaiyne has only just come back, but we need these 2 to get say 10 goals each by May.
Of course everybody wants one. & nobody is saying that putting Norwood into the side would guarantee x amount of points. But trying to argue that an out & out goal scorer wouldn't have made a difference is exactly the same. You wouldn't be able to prove it & I'm sure everybody on here would rather us posses a player sat on 15 goals now than not having one. Going from memory rather than googling it, I remember seasons in my time of watching where Parkin got 25 & Cox got 31 & we finished in the lower reaches. We'd have been fucked in those seasons without them. A 25 goal a season striker would have made a phenomenal difference this season. Instead we've got Rico on 2 league goals.

ferret

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: Tuesday, January 8, 2019, 06:45:07 »

really? blimey.

Madness isn’t it? Adebayo is indeed our top scorer when penalties are excluded.

Anyway, amidst all the obsessive arguing to the contrary, I see nothing to change the point that ‘we could do so much more with a decent goal hanger’. Especially since, at first glance, House appears to be more of a target man than anyone we’ve had on the pitch all season.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, January 8, 2019, 06:50:53 by ferret » Logged
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: Tuesday, January 8, 2019, 10:02:24 »

Of course everybody wants one. & nobody is saying that putting Norwood into the side would guarantee x amount of points. But trying to argue that an out & out goal scorer wouldn't have made a difference is exactly the same. You wouldn't be able to prove it & I'm sure everybody on here would rather us posses a player sat on 15 goals now than not having one. Going from memory rather than googling it, I remember seasons in my time of watching where Parkin got 25 & Cox got 31 & we finished in the lower reaches. We'd have been fucked in those seasons without them. A 25 goal a season striker would have made a phenomenal difference this season. Instead we've got Rico on 2 league goals.

25 extra goals would make the difference.... source doesn't really matter, if it's one player or 4.

A season like 13/14 for example wasn't too bad, yet yielded a leading scorer with only 8.... the fewest since the 73/74 releagtion season when Peter Eastoe got 8 also.  Difference being there were 3 on 8. What you want at this level is someone who can hold the ball up reasonably well, and get you some goals.... bit like Luke Norris last season. That's a minimum sort of requirement, of course, ideally you'd want something better than Luke, but we have to be realistic.

House, on first impressions might be able to do the job.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, January 8, 2019, 10:04:51 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: Tuesday, January 8, 2019, 12:01:44 »

Wow, we’re really getting the annual  ‘is a 25 goal a season striker a good thing’ debate in early this year, huh?

Things get better but they never get good
ferret

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: Tuesday, January 8, 2019, 12:52:26 »

Wow, we’re really getting the annual  ‘is a 25 goal a season striker a good thing’ debate in early this year, huh?

It looks like it.

I totally understand that a team can sometimes do well without a prolific scorer, and I totally understand that a team with a prolific scorer can sometimes struggle. But, to state the obvious, having a prolific scorer will increase a team's chances of success.

I also understand that a team which has a brilliant target man, who can cope on his own, might get more goals than usual out of midfield. But we don't have one of those (unless House turns out to be one). The likes of Adebayo and Richards have not been offering 101 other attributes to the team. They simply have not been scoring enough goals. Hence one has been sent back, and the other has been struggling for a game.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, January 8, 2019, 12:54:43 by ferret » Logged
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: Tuesday, January 8, 2019, 13:08:25 »

When we won this league our top scorer was Connell with 13, we just spread the other goals around which is more how you'd want it in an ideal world.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 ... 49   Go Up
Print
Jump to: