Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: have you....  (Read 11079 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #30 on: Monday, January 23, 2017, 13:56:23 »

Cheesy

No, just old enough to remember that as a football fan a copper was not someone you asked for help at any point, ever.

You were as likely to get a kicking from them as you were from any opposition fan
Very much this, they used to come into the Town End and randomly kick and hit Town fans whether or not they were involved in any violence, the worst I ever experienced were the Notts coppers away at Mansfield in 85-86 when we won the title. They quite literally "took no prisoners" that day, wankers.

Didn't help with Town fans singing "Harry Roberts is our friend...." though.

Different times.....anyway enough digressing....

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Sir Cliff Pipehard

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Monday, January 23, 2017, 15:28:06 »

Very much this, they used to come into the Town End and randomly kick and hit Town fans whether or not they were involved in any violence, the worst I ever experienced were the Notts coppers away at Mansfield in 85-86 when we won the title. They quite literally "took no prisoners" that day, wankers.

Didn't help with Town fans singing "Harry Roberts is our friend...." though.

Different times.....anyway enough digressing....

I remember that day,the OB had honed their skills at Orgreave and were ruthless.

Didn't ruin the occasion for me though.

ReadingRed

Pragmatist clapper

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Monday, January 23, 2017, 15:54:04 »

I've had a few minor arguments due to standing my ground at various demos, plus briefly being arrested by MOD Police at RAF Molesworth which was scary. But my worst experience was the Battle of the Beanfield at Stonehenge. I couldn't believe what I was seeing - the Police rioted that day, they were totally out of control. They randomly smashed up vans and hit people over the head for no reason including one woman near me who was carrying a baby.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Monday, January 23, 2017, 16:26:42 »

I remember that day,the OB had honed their skills at Orgreave and were ruthless.

It was one of those things, whereby fellas 4 or 5 along on the terrace behind the goal got batoned, so I was just lucky to miss it.

OB were doubtless padded out with a few paramilitary types back then as there was a perceived threat to the state. Thatcher's notorious description of Trade Unionists as the "enemy within"
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #34 on: Monday, January 23, 2017, 16:53:07 »

Didn't spoil my day either, I got out of the way of several swinging batons on the open ended terrace, nasty bastards they were.

The only other thing that sticks with me (other than the celebrations) was I drove my old Fiat Strada there from Swindon and we were ushered out of Mansfield at about 70mph through red lights with the coaches and all the supporters cars...they wanted us out of Mansfield ASAP and the 3,500 odd Town fans didn't really want to be kept there any longer than we had to!

1st and possibly only time the old bill has actively encouraged me to drive over the speed limit just to get rid of us, how times have changed Cheesy

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Monday, January 23, 2017, 17:14:09 »

Didn't spoil my day either, I got out of the way of several swinging batons on the open ended terrace, nasty bastards they were.

The only other thing that sticks with me (other than the celebrations) was I drove my old Fiat Strada there from Swindon and we were ushered out of Mansfield at about 70mph through red lights with the coaches and all the supporters cars...they wanted us out of Mansfield ASAP and the 3,500 odd Town fans didn't really want to be kept there any longer than we had to!

1st and possibly only time the old bill has actively encouraged me to drive over the speed limit just to get rid of us, how times have changed Cheesy

They were a particularly nasty bunch, we were lucky because we were farther back in the crowd behind the goal. 

I had an air horn with me that day, was fairly surprised the OB didn't take it off me Smiley

I also recall getting back home to the pub & gate crashing someone's birthday party & getting properly hammered.

It always made me smile after that day when the OB claimed they couldn't control the movement of football fans, when they had road blocks at most junctions up the M1 stopping coaches, although they were looking for miners rather than football fans
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday, February 15, 2017, 22:40:37 »

Having been pulled to one side at a London festival a couple of years ago, for smoking a jamaican cigarette and them finding much more than that on me, I learned to be as kind and polite as possible with the Police when possible.

I think I got lucky with things in general, also dropping in that I was a teacher of young children seemed to maybe help, and I was compliant with everything they asked - I even wrote down the address and telephone number of my school (even though I knew I didn't have to) because the wanker/actor in charge said he'd call my headteacher on Monday morning.

They threw away the baggie I had with me, and gave me a PND for possession of cannabis. They could have put me in prison.

Told my headteacher about it all the other day, she'd not heard from him and didn't care about the offence.

I'd probably not give my name unless they suspected me of committing an offence. I'd go for the, "Am I obliged to give you my details and for what reason (probably none)? Am I being detained? Am I free to leave? Thank you, bye."
ibelieveinmrreeves
Should've gone to Specsavers

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday, February 15, 2017, 22:46:46 »

Having been pulled to one side at a London festival a couple of years ago, for smoking a jamaican cigarette and them finding much more than that on me, I learned to be as kind and polite as possible with the Police when possible.

I think I got lucky with things in general, also dropping in that I was a teacher of young children seemed to maybe help, and I was compliant with everything they asked - I even wrote down the address and telephone number of my school (even though I knew I didn't have to) because the wanker/actor in charge said he'd call my headteacher on Monday morning.

They threw away the baggie I had with me, and gave me a PND for possession of cannabis. They could have put me in prison.

Told my headteacher about it all the other day, she'd not heard from him and didn't care about the offence.

I'd probably not give my name unless they suspected me of committing an offence. I'd go for the, "Am I obliged to give you my details and for what reason (probably none)? Am I being detained? Am I free to leave? Thank you, bye."

I'm surprised your head didn't care. I've heard of similar circumstances where the individual concerned lost his job and was pretty much unemployable within teaching.

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday, February 15, 2017, 23:08:33 »

For a cannabis offence? Possession not dealing? and a PND offence (slightly below a caution but lasts for 100 years on record)?

Our head is very liberal and is very much of the opinion that if you come to work and do a good job, you can pretty much do what you want in your own time. I did think, when I met to tell her, that I could have been about to lose my job.

I know of one or two other people in our school who have criminal records, one for serious drugs for sure, but those are very old offences.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Thursday, February 16, 2017, 00:43:32 »

Knowing you've been caught bang to rights, rather than being completely innocent yet still being treated as a criminal, is going to elicit a very different response....
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Thursday, February 16, 2017, 21:21:29 »

from whom?
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Thursday, February 16, 2017, 22:17:53 »

Always tried to be respectful first.

Then take it from there...

Clems Army!
FormerlyPlymRed

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #42 on: Friday, February 17, 2017, 11:34:48 »

Interesting reading all of this, despite what a fair few seem to think, arrest is a last resort for the vast majority of PC'S I know.

Yes there are bad eggs, but these are few and far between and policing is a million miles away from what it was like in the 70/80s.

If I have reason to speak to someone and they refuse to tell me their name, obviously my interest/suspicion is going to rise.
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Friday, February 17, 2017, 22:36:12 »

Ive seen so many instances of police trying NOT to arrest people lately, last time being at a football match. But I guess bad experiences do stick in your head, and it's important to know your rights.

On my last day at work a man (tbf already in custody) told me his name was fuck bollocks.. I don't recommend you do that. One of Ells' top tips.

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Saturday, February 18, 2017, 00:01:12 »

The short answer is No.

However, declining to give your identification details when asked by a copper MAY lead to your arrest if the copper has reasonable grounds to suspect an offence has been committed and that you may be responsible. If you provide the requested detail the option to report for summons or issue a traffic ticket or penalty notice for disorder is then on the table.

If the copper thinks you are someone else who is wanted for an offence, failing to identify yourself MAY lead to your arrest until such time as your identity has been confirmed/ the fact that you are not Charlie Big Potatoes who is wanted as being the leader of a drug cartel in Uffington has been established.

If the copper is engaged in stop and search or other patrol activities, most of which require the filling out of copious amounts of forms, declining to identify yourself may mean it takes a bit longer for the copper to fill out the forms as they are then required to enter more descriptive detail.

I used to do the coppering bit for a living.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: