Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town vs Peterborough United Official Matchday Thread  (Read 23627 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: Monday, January 23, 2017, 10:10:46 »

we know that in this case that will not be the case as LP would need to pay up LW 's contract, something he is not prepared to do, so it leaves us all with little hope it will improve.

I know there has been all this talk of LW's fabled 5 year contract but has any evidence of it ever come to light or is it just the now fairly standard rolling contract with a 5 year end date for review.

I only ask as Power has always shown himself to be very adept at getting good deals and it seems properly mental to have signed the manager/coach or whatever to such a deal without some manner of get out provision?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: Monday, January 23, 2017, 10:29:01 »

I know there has been all this talk of LW's fabled 5 year contract but has any evidence of it ever come to light or is it just the now fairly standard rolling contract with a 5 year end date for review.

I only ask as Power has always shown himself to be very adept at getting good deals and it seems properly mental to have signed the manager/coach or whatever to such a deal without some manner of get out provision?

Let's face it, at any other club Luke would have been shown the door long ago.  It could be seen as to Power's credit that he accepts that his side of things, namely recruitment is the problem, and in the D o F/coach model the D o F is the one who should carry the can.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: Monday, January 23, 2017, 10:51:00 »

Quote from: Peter Venkman
We play worse with Thompson in the team. I reckon that could actually be close to a fact.
I think NT's form has gone down since his brother left the club, could be a coincidence...
not playing week in, week out doesn't help. shouldn't have started Saturday, should be eased in..
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #123 on: Monday, January 23, 2017, 11:35:53 »

I think NT's form has gone down since his brother left the club, could be a coincidence...
not playing week in, week out doesn't help. shouldn't have started Saturday, should be eased in..
I agree a lot is down to playing week in week out but his form has dipped since his brother left the club I had noticed, perhaps hes just not as happy at the club now as he was.

Can't see any takers in the summer if hes not offered a new contract though, whereas 2 years ago Leeds and Cardiff were known admirers of him but he would be lucky to get a Div 4 club how he has been this season.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: Monday, January 23, 2017, 11:46:17 »

I agree a lot is down to playing week in week out but his form has dipped since his brother left the club I had noticed, perhaps hes just not as happy at the club now as he was.

Can't see any takers in the summer if hes not offered a new contract though, whereas 2 years ago Leeds and Cardiff were known admirers of him but he would be lucky to get a Div 4 club how he has been this season.

It's a sad fact that when Nathan goes in the summer, it will completely sever the last link between any players/staff and what the club represents to the fans.

Edit. There's still Alan Mac 1st knocking about.
Panda Paws

« Reply #125 on: Monday, January 23, 2017, 11:58:29 »

It's a sad fact that when Nathan goes in the summer, it will completely sever the last link between any players/staff and what the club represents to the fans.

Edit. There's still Alan Mac 1st knocking about.

I don't understand comments like that.

We have more players from our own academy involved in the first team than we have for a long time, with 3-4 (NT, Henry, Smith, Young plus other fringe possibilities, plus Iandolo, an academy signing)  of them set to be an important part of the squad in the coming seasons.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: Monday, January 23, 2017, 12:12:31 »

I don't understand comments like that.

We have more players from our own academy involved in the first team than we have for a long time, with 3-4 (NT, Henry, Smith, Young plus other fringe possibilities, plus Iandolo, an academy signing)  of them set to be an important part of the squad in the coming seasons.

The lads mentioned have an awful long way to go, before they can be considered proper first team material....and if they are any good we know they'll be flogged,  Young has already been talked of in those terms.
Panda Paws

« Reply #127 on: Monday, January 23, 2017, 12:20:15 »

I get that, but I also think it's melodramatic to suggest NT is the only link between the players/coaches/club and the fans.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: Monday, January 23, 2017, 12:30:51 »

I get that, but I also think it's melodramatic to suggest NT is the only link between the players/coaches/club and the fans.

I know you said you didn't go on Sat, but the disconnect between sections of the club can be felt. OK Sat wasn't as bad as the last home game, but things aren't good atm.
blinkpip
His Infernal Majesty

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: Monday, January 23, 2017, 17:22:19 »

We play worse with Thompson in the team. I reckon that could actually be close to a fact.
I think the opposite. Thompson is far the best defender we got either at centre or right back.
Branco plays like Bambi when the ball comes into the area, too scared to tackle and out of position most of the time and Jones like wise.

Even attacking, Thompson seems to create more through the middle than half our midfield do.

Shit tactics, average players = shit results. Someone got to be the boo boy of the week.

Usually Rogers.

ee the trick is only pick on those that can't do you no harm
Like the drummer from Def Leppard's only got one arm

I annoyed Yeovilred 28/01/06
Johnny Reeves

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: Monday, January 23, 2017, 19:23:21 »

I think the opposite. Thompson is far the best defender we got either at centre or right back.
Branco plays like Bambi when the ball comes into the area, too scared to tackle and out of position most of the time and Jones like wise.

Even attacking, Thompson seems to create more through the middle than half our midfield do.

Shit tactics, average players = shit results. Someone got to be the boo boy of the week.

Usually Rogers.

If only he had some brothers who played football
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: Monday, January 23, 2017, 20:12:33 »

I don't think anyone played badly Saturday. However, the team didn't do anywhere near enough to win the game. I can't recall either of the full-backs getting ahead of the midfield, and Norris had to pull out wide too often. The quality of crossing remains poor, and our corners never felt threatening. There's individual effort, but little collective determination. We're in a pickle and our inability to approach games with a do-or-die cup mentality will probably result in relegation.
A Gent Orange

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: Monday, January 23, 2017, 20:49:53 »

I don't think anyone played badly Saturday. However, the team didn't do anywhere near enough to win the game. I can't recall either of the full-backs getting ahead of the midfield, and Norris had to pull out wide too often. The quality of crossing remains poor, and our corners never felt threatening. There's individual effort, but little collective determination. We're in a pickle and our inability to approach games with a do-or-die cup mentality will probably result in relegation.

Looked intentional with the fullbacks, probably to avoid the counter with PBoro's best couple of players being the wider men. Guess also to cover for having Gladwin and Goddard up the top of the pitch, letting Feruz/Hylton go wide and those two joining the attack.

That and having a wrong-footed left back who naturally wants to come across the face and Thompson at right back who in bulking up as he's got older has lost some of that energy.
« Last Edit: Monday, January 23, 2017, 20:51:39 by A Gent Orange » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: