Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Bury  (Read 12287 times)
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« on: Thursday, January 19, 2017, 21:26:30 »

Signed Jermaine Penant today. I thought I saw a possible admin post recently about them on here but they keep on spending!

A couple of notable posts on their forum:

I'd prefer it if we weren't ran that badly that we were not making such ridiculous losses year on year. Losses made despite maintaining, by our standards decent crowds, despite mass sponsorship, despite an FA Cup run and despite the sale of a fair few of our players. And where have these losses got us? If we were pushing for the championship or in the championship I could just about accept it. However all it has done is taken us to 16th in league one last season and into the relegation zone this season, winless for months and looking a good bet for relegation. As ever in my naivity I took this initial news as being good, however once I sat back, looked at the bigger picture, I can see it is little more than another piece of the murky jigsaw that is BFC's finances.

Aye...£7M of losses in 3 years (likely to be approaching £10M after 4 years) is perfectly normal for a League 1/2 club. I genuinely cant believe you think it is, surely you dont. Or do you?! Serious question btw. Coz if you do...that is frightening.   

Roll Eyes A LOT of money being spent on 3000 crowds.
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, January 19, 2017, 22:50:40 »

That's the problem with football as it is today that the financial model is broken. Player wages and club running costs exceed income from gates for most clubs. So you're options are:

Rely on a benefactor who is prepared to invest X million a season with little chance of getting it back.
Borrow like Bournemouth and Leicester and hope you get promoted before the EFL FPPP rules catch up with you.
Sell players each year to cover the losses or a good cup run.
Live within your means and risk struggling because everyone else is spending more

The first two risk attracting opportunists who may have ulterior motives such as ground sale or redevelopment of club land.

The last two get supporters moaning about lack of investment and drifting away.

Not a happy ending in sight here.
Panda Paws

« Reply #2 on: Friday, January 20, 2017, 09:27:24 »

And yet there's still large sections of our fanbase who'd love us to sign Pennant and other "experienced pros" and lose £3m a year...
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Friday, January 20, 2017, 10:39:59 »

Thank goodness, thought this was another of those travel recommendations threads from someone looking for recommendations for the best places to go and see/stay in Bury
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Friday, January 20, 2017, 11:13:10 »

Quote from: Panda Paws
And yet there's still large sections of our fanbase who'd love us to sign Pennant and other "experienced pros" and lose £3m a year...
except that's total bollocks isn't it.

I don't accept a large part of our fan base want us to lose 3m a year, unless we had a Lansdown type who was happy to bankroll it.

I don't think many would expect a Pennant type name either .

I do think a larger number expect a few older heads in there though. which isn't unreasonable
Panda Paws

« Reply #5 on: Friday, January 20, 2017, 11:17:11 »

I don't accept a large part of our fan base want us to lose 3m a year, unless we had a Lansdown type who was happy to bankroll it.

I do think a larger number expect a few older heads in there though. which isn't unreasonable

I don't think anyone wants us to lose £3m a year, but I do think a lot of our fans wouldn't care if it meant we signed players they recognised and deem good enough simply because they've heard of them.
Don Rogers Sock

« Reply #6 on: Friday, January 20, 2017, 11:18:31 »

I am really not sure it is bollocks.
garethgillman

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Friday, January 20, 2017, 11:20:41 »

Bury are selling a 17 year old for £750k to Villa so are able to bankroll players like Pennant for a shortwhile BUT they will be back in the shit once the owners have spent that money and their relegation is confirmed.

They are constantly in and out of administration / financial troubles and it's not going to change unless owners come in and are willing to change the way the club is run (like Power did here). There is only a limited number of people with enough money to buy a team, throw millions at it then walk away when they decide it's not going to work. A lot of clubs at this level would struggle if they weren't run by "fan owners" who are willing to put the money in to their "boyhood club". Scunthorpe and Fleetwood are 2 that come to mind.
Flashheart

« Reply #8 on: Friday, January 20, 2017, 11:31:38 »

I'm inclined to agree with PP, I think many of our fans would want exactly that.
Nick Bamosomi
Bitter & Twisted

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Friday, January 20, 2017, 11:41:22 »

Thank goodness, thought this was another of those travel recommendations threads from someone looking for recommendations for the best places to go and see/stay in Bury

Hey, I used to live in Bury - don't knock it!!  Wink
Actually it was a dump - used to spend most weekends getting out of it and exploring the Pennines, Trough of Bowland or Lake District.

It had a great market though.

Never , under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same  night
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Friday, January 20, 2017, 11:42:51 »

Many fans would get excited about a 'name' without thinking about the cost.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Friday, January 20, 2017, 11:46:47 »

A lot of clubs at this level would struggle if they weren't run by "fan owners" who are willing to put the money in to their "boyhood club". Scunthorpe and Fleetwood are 2 that come to mind.

I am not sure that Fleetwood were the owners 'boyhood club' he is just a local lad done well. To be fair to him however his model is possibly a decent template as he had moved all his businesses to the ground and housed them in offices built within the stands which brings income (although he is essentially paying himself), Fleetwoood is a very good example of where a £10m investment can actually get you if it is cannily done.

As for our fans appreciation of money the one that always sticks in the mind is the infamous £40k? historic debt that Jed wittered on about, I know it was subsequently shown to be bollocks but the way certain supporters got very sniffy about it not just being paid off whatever its history and without any investigation said a lot, sadly many supporters expect owners to throw tens of thousands around for little hope of return, whilst simultaneously complaining that burgers have gone up 10p.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Friday, January 20, 2017, 11:49:31 »

It had a great market though.

Home of black pudding!
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #13 on: Friday, January 20, 2017, 12:42:00 »

Home of black pudding!
Can't beat a hot fresh black pudding in a roll (sorry barm) from Bury market.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Friday, January 20, 2017, 12:44:17 »

To appreciate the full delusional state of some sectors of our support you only have to view that Facebook group. I'm not saying they all are, but fuck me there's some....

It's All Good..............
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: