Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Curious Case Of Nathan Thompson  (Read 7111 times)
sgt rock

« Reply #15 on: Thursday, January 19, 2017, 13:54:32 »

Correct.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, January 19, 2017, 14:21:40 »

There aren't many players at STFC I'd put Thomas ahead of - and Thompson certainly isn't one of them.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Thursday, January 19, 2017, 14:23:13 »

Think it will be back to a three at the back if he is fit.
Nathan would be wasted at RB imo.

A 4-1-4-1 might be interesting with NT as defensive midfielder, keep the diamond but move it up the pitch a bit, but lose a striker. Easy to switch to a 4-2-3-1 if required.

With the new arrivals, the midfield is the strength again so setup with this in mind.

Might as well go with one up front as none of the strikers score. Ben Gladwin might.

Nathan's off at the end of the season, so might as well use him if we can.
sgt rock

« Reply #18 on: Thursday, January 19, 2017, 14:38:00 »

Rory, I never suggested putting Thomas ahead of Thompson, I suggested replacing Kasim with Thompson. 

One of our weaknesses is in defence and many of our problems start in midfield where the ball is lost due to inability to retain the ball, tackle and the lack of pace to retake when the ball is lost. 

In my opinion, Kasim is guilty of those faults and therefore makes our  frail defence look worse.  I think that we require a stronger holding midfielder and that Thompson would be suitable for that role.

My opinion of course.
Panda Paws

« Reply #19 on: Thursday, January 19, 2017, 14:55:05 »

Rory, I never suggested putting Thomas ahead of Thompson, I suggested replacing Kasim with Thompson. 

One of our weaknesses is in defence and many of our problems start in midfield where the ball is lost due to inability to retain the ball, tackle and the lack of pace to retake when the ball is lost. 

In my opinion, Kasim is guilty of those faults and therefore makes our  frail defence look worse.  I think that we require a stronger holding midfielder and that Thompson would be suitable for that role.

My opinion of course.

Kasim has barely played recently. A midfield screen of Rodgers and Murray/Thomas isn't good enough. We know that, and we know the midfield has been poor.

By bringing in Colkett, Gladwin and having a fit Kasim, that area of the pitch is now considerably stronger.

NT shouldn't be anywhere near this side as a midfielder. Obviously. Because he's not a midfielder. He'd have no clue where to go and when. How play expands and develops etc. It's not a case of saying "oh, he's alright on the ball, relatively mobile and good in the tackle, he'll be good at CDM".
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Thursday, January 19, 2017, 14:59:10 »

Kasim has barely played recently. A midfield screen of Rodgers and Murray/Thomas isn't good enough. We know that, and we know the midfield has been poor.

By bringing in Colkett, Gladwin and having a fit Kasim, that area of the pitch is now considerably stronger.

NT shouldn't be anywhere near this side as a midfielder. Obviously. Because he's not a midfielder. He'd have no clue where to go and when. How play expands and develops etc. It's not a case of saying "oh, he's alright on the ball, relatively mobile and good in the tackle, he'll be good at CDM".

Joe Butler started out as a full back and became the best holding midfielder we've ever had....so it can happen.
sgt rock

« Reply #21 on: Thursday, January 19, 2017, 15:22:42 »

Panda Paws, like I said, its my opinion and just because a player plays out of position, it does not mean that he is not competent playing there.  An example is Thomas, rightly criticised for some of his performances in midfield.  I would say that his best performance that I have seen him play was at centre back.
LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Thursday, January 19, 2017, 15:25:35 »

Right back or bench; I've never bought in to Thompson at CB

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
hefty toe

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Thursday, January 19, 2017, 15:45:47 »

Lots of fullbacks have been converted to central midfielders, for instance, Adam Chambers. Think NT has all the requisite attributes to play in central midfield.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #24 on: Thursday, January 19, 2017, 15:48:16 »

I think NT could be an excellent defensive midfielder if Kasim did in fact leave.

LW seems to rate him at CB though despite the all the evidence pointing towards the contrary being true.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Don Rogers Sock

« Reply #25 on: Thursday, January 19, 2017, 15:53:07 »

I think Williams likes him in that position because ironically he is good at moving forward and adding that extra man to the middle.

My main worry is that we totally change formation etc from saturday when it clearly worked.
Whits
Morphined Up

« Reply #26 on: Thursday, January 19, 2017, 15:55:40 »

found this the other day, he does have the ability to merk people! nice knee to the head!

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AuPmjcBy7sMKhX47qTxo1lfmXvcW

Plays in midfield and his name is Tommy Miller,
signed him from Huddersfield his name is Tommy Miller,
first touch is average but his second is a killer,
heeeeeey Tommy Miller!
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #27 on: Thursday, January 19, 2017, 15:58:30 »

Luke (or whoever picks the team) does like to tinker.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Thursday, January 19, 2017, 20:50:21 »

Have we looked any better with Nathan in the team? I think,no

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: