Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 2026 World Cup  (Read 4778 times)
Chubbs

Ignore
« on: Tuesday, January 10, 2017, 10:40:57 »

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jan/10/fifa-vote-expand-world-cup-48-teams-from-2026

So FIFA have voted in favour of a 48 team World Cup. 16 groups of 3 teams. 80 games in total (currently 64). What could possibly go wrong?

Quote: "Infantino has also suggested that penalty shootouts be brought in to settle the results of all drawn games, thereby minimising the risk of teams colluding in their final group games to eliminate others from the tournament."

I hear chants of "Are you Blatter in disguise!!!"
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, January 10, 2017, 10:50:16 »

It is what it is.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, January 10, 2017, 10:55:36 »

Scotland still wont qualify
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, January 10, 2017, 11:51:31 »

Sorry. FIFA are turning the competition into a joke.

BAZINGA !!

Join the Red Army Fund and donate at www.redarmyfund.co.uk

Join the Football Supporters Federation for FREE at www.fsf.org.uk/join.php
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, January 10, 2017, 12:05:42 »

Sorry. FIFA are turning the competition into a joke.
essentially its all about the money.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, January 10, 2017, 12:11:00 »

Another week of hyperbole, and tedium to look forward to..
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, January 10, 2017, 12:37:05 »

I don't hate this as some seem to. The WC seemed about the right size as it was, but more teams is so much better than the farcical situation Cricket have where they have fewer teams and a contrived two group stage system to make sure they get the maximum possible number of games featuring the teams that draw the biggest TV audiences.

FIFA have plenty of entries in their hall of shame, but they've expanded the game far better than the governing bodies of most other sports. Not quite as well as they could have done if they'd not just trousered most of the funding though.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, January 10, 2017, 14:06:58 »

More importantly how are we going to find enough people prepared to sign up to the stunners competition?
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, January 10, 2017, 16:35:54 »

I don't hate this as some seem to. The WC seemed about the right size as it was, but more teams is so much better than the farcical situation Cricket have where they have fewer teams and a contrived two group stage system to make sure they get the maximum possible number of games featuring the teams that draw the biggest TV audiences.

FIFA have plenty of entries in their hall of shame, but they've expanded the game far better than the governing bodies of most other sports. Not quite as well as they could have done if they'd not just trousered most of the funding though.

Agree to an extent, but I'm not sure how adding 16 minnows to the first round adds value to the competition as a sporting spectacle.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, January 10, 2017, 17:29:01 »

Agree to an extent, but I'm not sure how adding 16 minnows to the first round adds value to the competition as a sporting spectacle.

Well some of them might beat England for a start...

More seriously, most will get battered but it only takes a surprise result somewhere to trigger something in a country. If China or India or another huge population, small footballing interest nation qualify you can see the potential there for football to take hold in those countries beyond just watching the Premiership.
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, January 10, 2017, 19:05:37 »

If I'm honest, international footy is all a bit 'meh' for me. Take away seeding and it might make the group stage a bit spicier.
Flashheart

« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, January 10, 2017, 19:09:00 »

I quite like the idea.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, January 10, 2017, 19:13:13 »

I quite like the idea.

And me, dont get the outrage myself
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, January 10, 2017, 19:21:36 »

I'd prefer the idea if they extended the tournament as well, too many simultaneous kick offs would suck
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, January 10, 2017, 23:03:54 »

The Panini album will be enormous.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: