Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Sun Holidays  (Read 2342 times)
Quagmire

Ignore
« on: Saturday, January 7, 2017, 10:16:10 »

Seen this started again today, just wondered if anyone has ever been on one and has any recommendations for resorts or places to avoid?
Thinking of collecting the tokens and Devon and Cornwall will probably be the preference.
« Last Edit: Saturday, January 7, 2017, 10:19:56 by Quagmire » Logged
ibelieveinmrreeves
Should've gone to Specsavers

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, January 7, 2017, 11:24:53 »

We do these quite regularly (although not this year). Stayed at Riviere Sands (?) in Hayle a couple of times, which encompasses one of the worst experiences we've ever had. It was April (Easter hols) and only heat was from the small gas fire in the living room. Sofa didn't fold out into a bed so had to sleep in all our clothes under two duvets cos it was so fucking cold!

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, January 7, 2017, 11:36:26 »

I did these for about 6 or 7 years when the kids were the right age.

Brilliant, the missus would collect the coupons at work, I'd never buy the Sun, then you'd list where you fancied, and take what you got. We always went last week October and the Easter period, which of course wanders around time wise. For a tenner, you'd  get 3 occasionally 4 nights in a caravan park somewhere, a couple of time we got chalets.

I like these places more or less out of season with only a handful about, and it can be fucking freezing....would never have dreamed of going in season.

Always went for a different stretch of Dorset, Devon, North Somerset coastline, to walk a new section of the coast path. Cornwall seemed a bit too far for a short break., more long holiday place for me.

The recall of actual sites is a bit vague, as it was a while ago....think my favourite was Blue Anchor North Somerset, got a chalet for 4 nights, late October and still quite warm....could play on the West Somerset  Smiley  missus and kids could bugger off to Butlins Minehead, leaving walking to be done in the Brendon Hills.

One October in Swanage, the weather was proper fucking shit, didn't bother me, as walking round by the Tilly Whim caves in a force 8 is the sort of thing that floats my boat....however the kids and missus, didn't fancy it, and with a poor forecast we just wrote it off. Which isn't a problem when you've only paid a tenner.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, January 7, 2017, 12:07:50 »

Only problem is, they are all full if Sun readers. Not Reg though obviously Wink
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, January 7, 2017, 12:16:33 »

Done a few of these, get codes online as don't buy the sun.
Been to woolacombe bay a couple of times, October and June. Pissed down all week in June go figure and once to Dorset tho can't recall camp
Always extras you have to pay for but still a cheap break.
Will do one this October too
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, January 7, 2017, 12:26:52 »

Done a few of these, get codes online as don't buy the sun.
Been to woolacombe bay a couple of times, October and June. Pissed down all week in June go figure and once to Dorset tho can't recall camp
Always extras you have to pay for but still a cheap break.
Will do one this October too

Out of interest, how much is an October/Easter offer these days, my time was about 95 to 01, when it was a tenner, maybe as high as 12 ?

I remember 95 going to Rockley Sands, Poole, very nice caravan, massive camp with plenty of facilities, and more or less empty.

Came back on the Monday, and then went to Bormuff, for the match, at Dean Court on the Tuesday. I like to be as green as possible, so a bit guilty about it.
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, January 7, 2017, 12:31:39 »

Out of interest, how much is an October/Easter offer these days, my time was about 95 to 01, when it was a tenner, maybe as high as 12 ?

I remember 95 going to Rockley Sands, Poole, very nice caravan, massive camp with plenty of facilities, and more or less empty.

Came back on the Monday, and then went to Bormuff, for the match, at Dean Court on the Tuesday. I like to be as green as possible, so a bit guilty about it.

£9.50 for the early and late offers. £15 for the summer one. Per person
Of course individual parks add extras like entertainment passes, electric etc but still a cheap getaway
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, January 7, 2017, 12:35:15 »

£9.50 for the early and late offers. £15 for the summer one. Per person
Of course individual parks add extras like entertainment passes, electric etc but still a cheap getaway

Do kids count as persons? You always paid for the extras.  Yep, still excellent value.
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, January 7, 2017, 20:43:56 »

Few things to note. It's not really 9.50. You are likely to get charges from the resort for things like electric etc. Or it might be on a meter.  You have to book for 4 people minimum. You basically pick 4 dates are 4 resorts and you basically get given one of your choices based on availability.
That said, it's still good value. We used to go as a family when I was a kid and loved it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: