Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town vs Shrewsbury Town Official Matchday Thread  (Read 44736 times)
Panda Paws

« Reply #210 on: Monday, January 9, 2017, 15:37:13 »

Hadn't heard that, that's good then.

I'm sure it was on here somewhere, that we were up there one day a week.
nigel grays a postie

Ignore
« Reply #211 on: Monday, January 9, 2017, 15:40:17 »

Even parking the bus barely achievable with our current defensive personnel. Currently we have 2 centre halves and 1 right back available with Sendles White, Boo and Thompson injured and Brophy banned.....oh and Thomas I suppose. Branco surely cant be far away from another suspension? Whats the betting any new signings turn out to be technically good, but lightweight midfielders?

Rogers, Mayes, Shearer, Fjortoft, Cox, Austin, Ritchie. Seen em all flogged off on the cheap
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #212 on: Monday, January 9, 2017, 15:51:44 »

Watching the match was bad enough so I can't be arsed to read this whole thread. Just sticking my head in the door to say that the major fault for the dismal display on Saturday lays with whichever fuckwit is currently responsible for substitutions.

As soon as they went down to 10 men, we should have been looking to drag Anton "fraudulently claiming the wages of a professional footballer' Rodgers off the pitch and get Hylton on. I would also have considered replacing Brophy- match fitness more than anything else and Thomas.

Leaving things as they were resulted in Brophy being put under too much pressure and forced into errors.

I used to look forward to football on a Saturday. Its all Meh now Bad Mood
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #213 on: Monday, January 9, 2017, 15:52:49 »

Even parking the bus barely achievable with our current defensive personnel. Currently we have 2 centre halves and 1 right back available with Sendles White, Boo and Thompson injured and Brophy banned.....oh and Thomas I suppose. Branco surely cant be far away from another suspension? Whats the betting any new signings turn out to be technically good, but lightweight midfielders?

Parking the bus largely consists of midfielders working their gonads off in a 5 in front of the back 4.  OK I know we probably haven't got 5 available midfielders, but Embleton said now we've mainly only got 1 game a week, they coaching staff should be able to prepare better.  So if Williams is so good, he should be able to sort something out.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #214 on: Monday, January 9, 2017, 16:04:51 »

I'm sure it was on here somewhere, that we were up there one day a week.
We are there on a Friday apparently!
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #215 on: Monday, January 9, 2017, 16:35:32 »

How much training do teams do the day before a game?

Probably improving their handicaps.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #216 on: Monday, January 9, 2017, 16:40:33 »

As playing football seems to be a handicap to most of them you are probably right!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #217 on: Monday, January 9, 2017, 16:48:20 »

Our present shower don't much strike me as interested in golf. A game in chronic decline worldwide with the under 30's

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/aug/12/golf-clubs-future-young-players-dress-code-social-media
RWB Robin

Ignore
« Reply #218 on: Tuesday, January 10, 2017, 12:46:05 »

The level of anger, frustration and despondency on here is understandable.  I felt all that on Saturday, and shouted (but didn't boo) at individual players who made appalling errors in the game.  Not how I like to feel having driven for two hours, paid my dues to get in and then facing a two hour drive back, so I justify my action even if I despise it in myself.  Harassing individual players during the game and then dissing them all afterwards does not help anyone really, least of all me!!!

So in an attempt to see if there is a more objective way for me to deal with my response, I have been looking back at videos of previous games - admittedly mostly only highlights - but that has been enough for me to feel that I am being unfair to simply discard all (or most) of the players as useless.  It's pretty clear that they are not, and you can see enough in the past from even the most heavily criticised players to know that actually there is skill there in every department.

So what ever is happening in matches?  It seems to me that the absolutely key element is confidence.  Almost all of them lose confidence when something does not go right - primarily when a goal is scored against them, but also when the style of play does not suit them.  It's easy to say 'get over it' and be more adaptable.  But the challenge with a young inexperienced team is to have the experienced leaders playing who can manage the game when all is not going well.  Darren Ward was the epitomy of that.  As a player on the pitch, he was vulnerable to making mistakes like everyone else, but his presence was immense, as it was in the dressing room and in training.  That is what is needed more than anything else.  Nathan T is inspiring, but he still does not have that level of experience and mental stability that just calms everything down and gives perspective to a momentary blip.

It was the chaos that ensued on Saturday in the second half that was most disturbing, not anything any individual player did or didn't do.  They all react differently....some start to make stupid mistakes, some switch off, others start running about like scared rabbits getting in each others' way...  So I hope that amongst the hoped for batch of incomers there will be one at least who will take command.
garethgillman

Ignore
« Reply #219 on: Tuesday, January 10, 2017, 13:07:13 »

So what ever is happening in matches?  It seems to me that the absolutely key element is confidence.  Almost all of them lose confidence when something does not go right

Nail on the head, been saying it all season, as soon as we go behind or we get a decision against us, the players heads drop and it all goes to shit, they all suddenly become sloppy and basically give up.

It's been getting better in the last 2/3 games but it still happens too often, hopefully with 3/4 quality additions and 2/3 wins on the trot, the confidence will improve and the silly mistakes will become fewer.

I personally think our team as it is, is good enough to stay in L1, with some quality additions we could sit in the top half or even nick a playoff spot...... The team isn't as bad as they make themselves seem.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #220 on: Tuesday, January 10, 2017, 13:24:37 »

We could, and probably should, have won our last 3 home games instead of drawing them.

Another 6 points and the pressure would be off. Fine margins and all that.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #221 on: Tuesday, January 10, 2017, 16:09:30 »

Friday is Tactic Tim's day along with the super coach's tips!!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #222 on: Tuesday, January 10, 2017, 16:21:05 »

Friday should be Statement Day   Angry
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #223 on: Tuesday, January 10, 2017, 16:22:49 »

I personally think our team as it is, is good enough to stay in L1, with some quality additions we could sit in the top half or even nick a playoff spot...... The team isn't as bad as they make themselves seem.

I think that's a tad optimistic, unless we bring in 4 or 5 players all of a considerably higher standard than the current lot. As I see it, a good run from now to May would see us finish comfortably mid-table, which is more than achievable when you look at just how bad the bottom half of this division is.

Getting anywhere near the play-offs would involve something of a revolution.
A Gent Orange

Ignore
« Reply #224 on: Tuesday, January 10, 2017, 16:23:17 »

If they follow any form of tactical periodisation, it would be light, non contact sessions. Most likely shape or opposition work. Sorry to be boring.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16   Go Up
Print
Jump to: