Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Made to measure shirts  (Read 3761 times)
Panda Paws

« on: Wednesday, January 4, 2017, 13:55:19 »

Toying with the idea of getting a bespoke shirt for my wedding later this year and not really sure where to start beyond Jermyn street and £240 a pop. Anyone ever bought one?
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, January 4, 2017, 14:22:28 »

Got one for mine, but that was in Wellington 17 years ago so no use to you. It didn't survive the night had red wine and gravy down it not long after the ceremony and never worn again. I probably wouldn't bother again, I'd use the money for a big round personally next time.
Panda Paws

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, January 4, 2017, 14:48:40 »

Got one for mine, but that was in Wellington 17 years ago so no use to you. It didn't survive the night had red wine and gravy down it not long after the ceremony and never worn again. I probably wouldn't bother again, I'd use the money for a big round personally next time.

Yeah, thinking I'll probably just try and find a high-street one that fits well but seem to struggle.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, January 4, 2017, 15:15:35 »

You probably won't find a cheaper tailor unless you're taking a trip to the far-east any time soon.

I wore an off-the-peg one that was like a tent, but it was the only one that fit my ample 18" collar size at the time.

I swear by Charles Tyrwhitt tailored fit shirts these days (in a more respectable size).
garethgillman

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, January 4, 2017, 15:30:32 »

https://www.shirtsmart.co.uk

Made by Barrington Ayre in Cirencester, £78 a shirt, not sure how much BA charge if you go to their shop to have you measured (they are above the watch shop in the marketplace, opposite the corn hall)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, January 4, 2017, 15:46:22 »

I must confess when I read the thread title I thought we may have another Ruddock shorts situation on our hands.   Cheesy
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, January 4, 2017, 15:52:22 »

No

Never been wealthy enough for such extravagance. I prefer to buy too large off the peg, and then drink beer until it fits nicely.
Panda Paws

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, January 4, 2017, 15:55:48 »

No

Never been wealthy enough for such extravagance. I prefer to buy too large off the peg, and then drink beer until it fits nicely.

Can't help but think that's more expensive an approach!

I must confess when I read the thread title I thought we may have another Ruddock shorts situation on our hands.   Cheesy

Not quite, but not far off!

https://www.shirtsmart.co.uk

Made by Barrington Ayre in Cirencester, £78 a shirt, not sure how much BA charge if you go to their shop to have you measured (they are above the watch shop in the marketplace, opposite the corn hall)

Cheers - will check them out.

I tend to find the high street ones woefully ill-fitting and expensive for what they are. Have found a few options just shy of 3 figures, which seem viable.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, January 4, 2017, 15:58:54 »

Why the hell would you want to spend that much on a shirt for one day?

You'll be wearing a jacket I presume?

Get an 'ill fitting' one for a fiver and wear a jacket. Then put the money you've saved as payment on your mortgage or towards a holiday or something.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
garethgillman

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, January 4, 2017, 15:59:43 »

I tend to find the high street ones woefully ill-fitting and expensive for what they are. Have found a few options just shy of 3 figures, which seem viable.

BA aren't high street, they are pure custom measured, their "shop" is an office above a jewellers, so they have a physical place to go. Never worn them but you also have a shirt maker with a proper shop on the corner of cricklade street in Cirencester, next door to Savills.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, January 4, 2017, 16:02:20 »

Can't help but think that's more expensive an approach!

True....but more fun.

Seriously though, I hired the kit when I got married, fairly sure a shirt was included.....long time ago now mind.  Is that infra dig in today's climate?
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, January 4, 2017, 16:15:27 »

True....but more fun.

Seriously though, I hired the kit when I got married, fairly sure a shirt was included.....long time ago now mind.  Is that infra dig in today's climate?

I got married last year and did the same. Only thing that was permanent was cuff links (present from the wife) and shoes (fairly expensive as an indulgence). A shirt was included.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, January 4, 2017, 16:28:53 »

I got married last year and did the same. Only thing that was permanent was cuff links (present from the wife) and shoes (fairly expensive as an indulgence). A shirt was included.

Likewise, I actually wanted to wear a top hat as well (always been a big fan of Brunel) but the wife concluded that it would be ridiculous, particularly with me being 6'4" top hatless!
Panda Paws

« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, January 4, 2017, 16:54:22 »

Why the hell would you want to spend that much on a shirt for one day?

You'll be wearing a jacket I presume?

Get an 'ill fitting' one for a fiver and wear a jacket. Then put the money you've saved as payment on your mortgage or towards a holiday or something.

The same reason anyone buys anything nice, or that they want, as opposed to the cheapest option of anything?

But thanks for the condescending tip.
otanswell

Fuck em all...

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, January 4, 2017, 17:16:23 »

I hired a shirt for my wedding day and sent it back caked in blood soapy tit wank

Jump to: