Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Franchise FC v Swindon Town FC Official Matchday Thread  (Read 24381 times)
Christy

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: Saturday, December 31, 2016, 00:24:57 »

Home with a beer - having vowed enough times to never go back to that place - maybe it's more than I deserve.

Still, a night's out a night out and all that.  It might have been a trick of the glass, but Lee Power was looking pretty trim in reception before the game: maybe the 'premiership experience' needed was right before our eyes all along!?

So credit where it's due, it's a magnificent arena, with the top tier view being pretty handsome.  The excellent Town turnout slightly contradicts those amongst us who talk us down as a club in crisis and riven with apathy.  We just need something to believe in.

Sadly, the team don't look capable, or interested enough in delivering that just now.  The first eight minutes were utterly baffling, an incomprehensible formation ("well it looks like it's supposed to be 3-5-2, with Obika wide"), with players strolling around as if waiting to be given some indication that the game had actually started.  Unfortunately it was soon 2-0 before some whistle blew somewhere, the formation was changed and Brophy put more energy into one foray forward than the rest had managed between them.  And behold, somehow it was 2-1, and we entered the break on top, and somehow still in the game.

What a bummer then, that we didn't start the second half in the same way that we didn't start the first half.  Perhaps those clear lines of communication and hierarchy just need a fine polish? Whatever, in professional terms, it was criminal that we allowed a throw in to be played, completely uncontested into the box, and pow, 3-1.

Ah well, we were two behind again, and plenty in that fine Town turnout wanted Power out, their Swindon back, and other angry things.  Hey presto, we scored and just like the first half, those angsty strategic big picture things weren't quite so important, as we could possibly steal a point here.  By the time we'd lost, I think it became more of a resigned grumble all round, but I'm not sure as I was out into the fog before seeing any waving goodbye or the like.  As one who recognises that football club ownership, and assembling an aesthetically pleasing, competitive team with individual sellable assets on a limited budget is probably tricky and complex, I'm not really going to be at the front of the queue when it comes to demanding instant change now, in a loud voice.  However, make your minds up! Shouting about the whole club being rubbish and unfair and nasty and he hit me first - but only if we're two goals behind - strikes me as being very silly.

Some individual positives then: Vigs, Jones for his cameo runs forward in the second half, Norris, Goddard and Brophy were both bright and each made an impact.

Bring on 2017.  Please.
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: Saturday, December 31, 2016, 00:34:04 »

Always enjoy your reviews, Christy, but that's a brilliant post. HNY to you.

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: Saturday, December 31, 2016, 00:59:06 »

Yeah, very good objective review. Pity our players aren't so clear and concise.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: Saturday, December 31, 2016, 06:21:50 »

Bring on 2017.  Please.

Be careful what you wish for...

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: Saturday, December 31, 2016, 07:02:42 »

We're actually getting worse, aren't we?

Good job there's a transfer window so close.

Only good if we can bring in what we need...
5 defenders, 5 midfielders and 3 strikes might do it.

I can't envisage us getting remotely close to what we need.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: Saturday, December 31, 2016, 07:33:49 »

cheers Christy/Kirky for the fan views.

What I take from it - we were shit at the start, but at least we didn't give up, if only we didn't have a glass chin eh...
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: Saturday, December 31, 2016, 09:18:20 »

Brilliant summary, Christy.  Thanks for posting.  I would echo all of that.

A first away trip for my two little ones yesterday - and my first visit to a venue I'd previously sworn I would never visit.  My morals/principles held out for a decade or so.  Magnificent arena; but how Franchise keep it running on gates that are only slightly higher than ours is anyone's guess.  Difficult to see how it could be sustained in the longer term at this level.

Personal highlight yesterday was probably my eldest (aged eight) ripping the piss out of groups of Franchise fans for their goal celebration.  (I think it may be an ice hockey thing.  Extend both index fingers in an upwards direction and then alternately move elbows up & down.)  He thought it was hilarious.  He also completely got it during our conversation about plastic fans/having no history on the journey back down the M1.
Nick Bamosomi
Bitter & Twisted

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: Saturday, December 31, 2016, 09:18:31 »

Home with a beer - having vowed enough times to never go back to that place - maybe it's more than I deserve.

Still, a night's out a night out and all that.  It might have been a trick of the glass, but Lee Power was looking pretty trim in reception before the game: maybe the 'premiership experience' needed was right before our eyes all along!?

So credit where it's due, it's a magnificent arena, with the top tier view being pretty handsome.  The excellent Town turnout slightly contradicts those amongst us who talk us down as a club in crisis and riven with apathy.  We just need something to believe in.

Sadly, the team don't look capable, or interested enough in delivering that just now.  The first eight minutes were utterly baffling, an incomprehensible formation ("well it looks like it's supposed to be 3-5-2, with Obika wide"), with players strolling around as if waiting to be given some indication that the game had actually started.  Unfortunately it was soon 2-0 before some whistle blew somewhere, the formation was changed and Brophy put more energy into one foray forward than the rest had managed between them.  And behold, somehow it was 2-1, and we entered the break on top, and somehow still in the game.

What a bummer then, that we didn't start the second half in the same way that we didn't start the first half.  Perhaps those clear lines of communication and hierarchy just need a fine polish? Whatever, in professional terms, it was criminal that we allowed a throw in to be played, completely uncontested into the box, and pow, 3-1.

Ah well, we were two behind again, and plenty in that fine Town turnout wanted Power out, their Swindon back, and other angry things.  Hey presto, we scored and just like the first half, those angsty strategic big picture things weren't quite so important, as we could possibly steal a point here.  By the time we'd lost, I think it became more of a resigned grumble all round, but I'm not sure as I was out into the fog before seeing any waving goodbye or the like.  As one who recognises that football club ownership, and assembling an aesthetically pleasing, competitive team with individual sellable assets on a limited budget is probably tricky and complex, I'm not really going to be at the front of the queue when it comes to demanding instant change now, in a loud voice.  However, make your minds up! Shouting about the whole club being rubbish and unfair and nasty and he hit me first - but only if we're two goals behind - strikes me as being very silly.

Some individual positives then: Vigs, Jones for his cameo runs forward in the second half, Norris, Goddard and Brophy were both bright and each made an impact.

Bring on 2017.  Please.

Excellent post. A voice of reason after reading all the "special"  Facebook posts.

Never , under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same  night
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: Saturday, December 31, 2016, 11:00:22 »

Good old Jordan. Shame Reda Johnson wasnt here

* IMG_0038.PNG (482.36 KB, 750x1334 - viewed 285 times.)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #174 on: Saturday, December 31, 2016, 11:32:11 »

Only good if we can bring in what we need...
5 defenders, 5 midfielders and 3 strikes might do it.

I can't envisage us getting remotely close to what we need.

It was pretty obvious to many fans that the recruitment and pre-season were in no way good enough. We now have Luke lamenting that fact.  I envisage this side getting worse as the season unfolds, so any new incomers are going to have to be impressive individuals to raise spirits.

The minimum has to be a couple of proper footballers....it would be wrong to expect two or three kids to halt this slide to Div 4.  It should have been done in the summer...however this is now make or break for Power, the natives are getting restless.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #175 on: Saturday, December 31, 2016, 11:45:24 »

Thanks for the report Christy, good and concise and few would disagree with pretty much all of that.

Yesterday was the first time since the advent of STFC Player back in the 00's that I actually chose not to listen to a Swindon game when I had nothing else to do.

I managed to get to half time without even bothering to check the score, then checked it for the 2nd time at FT and the worst part is I felt I didn't really care a lot about the result as I felt it was a foregone conclusion that we would lose, but glad they showed a little spirit to get back into the game without letting the franchise whip us which would have been embarressing.

Nothing will ever stop me supporting the club, and I fully appreciate what Power is trying to do, buy cheap or free, sell on for profit, try and play football along the way.....but....something is not right, the players seem to show little guts for a fight and genuinely don't appear to give 100% even half the time.

I still back LP as TBH there is NO alternative, never has been during his ownership, these fans that want him out....offer a viable alternative or shut the fuck up and follow Chelsea or Arsenal.

Teams outside of the Championship are never going to be an attractive proposition for new owners/investment unless they have a massive fan base or are based in a large city etc etc.

I think there are problems with training/mental attitude and those can be changed by the manager/DOF, or at least by a good one, I fear Williams and Embleton are not those people, whether Sherwood is that man we will see but so far it appears not. What I would like to see is a dedicated defensive coach employed as Paolo and Sturrock did in the past.

Get a few experienced players in during the next couple of weeks for a start, and Sherwood now needs to grab the team by the neck and shake them a bit and prove his worth, I still don't think we are that far from being a mid table side but it takes work from the management off the pitch as well as on the pitch.

We win one game and the players love the pat on the back, the adulation of fans, the positive feeling.....but we got a goal down and all that goes out of the window along with the self belief and any effort they have mustered up and their heads fall, thats down to lack of experience on the pitch IMO.

Heres to a better year ahead with STFC.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Ticker45

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: Saturday, December 31, 2016, 11:50:37 »

Excellent post from Christy from someone who was there as I had absolutely no intention of ever making that journey and fair play to those who did.

Listening to the "3 Counties" broadcast one of their final comments was that although it had five goals it was a poor game between two poor teams realistically. Earlier in the season I would not have said we were a poor team by any means, yes we probably played too much keep-ball in games at times but it was a lack of a proven goalscorer that was really missing to consolidate that possession. Now the style of play seems to have changed, I guess under the guidance of Sherwood, and we still cannot win more than we lose and we are looking decidedly third rate, so what is the answer? I have not got a clue.

Hopefully an influx of "better" players in the January window can galvanise the team who currently appear bereft of real fight and commitment and probably more important regarding the position we are currently in, experience.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is unknown but today could be a whole lot better.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: Saturday, December 31, 2016, 11:58:08 »

I still back LP as TBH there is NO alternative, never has been during his ownership, these fans that want him out....offer a viable alternative or shut the fuck up and follow Chelsea or Arsenal.

Power's model is now failing, the noises suggest he understands mistakes have been made, and it's fair enough he has a chance to put that right. If, however, it continues to fail, I think it only honourable that he puts the club up for sale to see who is interested.

We might get another Jed we might not...but what is clear is that the present fiasco isn't tenable for very much longer. 

Getting to the point where long standing fans don't even bother looking out for the score as they know the result is a foregone conclusion can't be acceptable.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: Saturday, December 31, 2016, 12:05:23 »

Williams:

- Thompson. Problem with his boot insert which caused him pain.

What the actual fuck, does he only have one pair of boots, or if the insert has been added to counter a previous problem did no one think to try in in training.... And take it out if causing pain?

Either total bollocks or very tin pot.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: Saturday, December 31, 2016, 12:10:07 »

If, however, it continues to fail, I think it only honourable that he puts the club up for sale to see who is interested.

I don't think it really needs him to put signs up or an advert in the Advertiser (of Shanghai Evening News!)

If someone wanted to buy the club they would have made themselves known ages back (bar some rumours when Sherwood was announced), I understand there is a dynamic chap pulling up trees at Solihull Moors.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13   Go Up
Print
Jump to: