Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Dry January...  (Read 4268 times)
Whits
Morphined Up

« on: Thursday, December 29, 2016, 22:32:10 »

Right quick morale question.... I'm planning to put a sponsorship link for dry January on Facebook, due to my current medical condition I haven't drunk in 6 months.

personally I think people getting sponsored not to drink is a pile of balls, and it annoys me every year when people ask for donations on something that doesnt require that much willpower/sacrifice, however in my mind if other people have done it then why not try and raise some money for a good cause.

Should I feel guilty if I put a link up almost tongue in cheek asking for sponsorship ( not everyone knows my condition ) or just go for it and say fuck it

Plays in midfield and his name is Tommy Miller,
signed him from Huddersfield his name is Tommy Miller,
first touch is average but his second is a killer,
heeeeeey Tommy Miller!
Whits
Morphined Up

« Reply #1 on: Thursday, December 29, 2016, 22:32:43 »

I'm asking cause someone was questioning my ethics Smiley

Plays in midfield and his name is Tommy Miller,
signed him from Huddersfield his name is Tommy Miller,
first touch is average but his second is a killer,
heeeeeey Tommy Miller!
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, December 29, 2016, 23:02:13 »

If it raises money then don't feel guilty about it.

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #3 on: Thursday, December 29, 2016, 23:14:25 »

Could do it from a different angle so those who join you for dry January donate some of the money they'd have spent on booze to charity. Those that don't fancy it can pay a tariff to enjoy a boozy January.

Tell them why you're doing it and then you can guilt trip loads of people either way and you'd be guilt free  Smiley
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Friday, December 30, 2016, 01:04:40 »

Would be more than happy to contribute.

Personally the dry January thing is anathema, alcohol depends on me.

No question of ethics or guilt here, just go for it.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Friday, December 30, 2016, 01:17:07 »

Morality is a funny thing.....if you have derived some morals from your upbringing, then you may feel it's not something you want to do. However there may be a pleasure in wishing to challenge this staus quo. It could be considered the Mr Pye syndrome, whereby you're so good you start to grow angelic wings, which can only be stopped by more nefarious deeds.

Think I'd go with WB.
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Friday, December 30, 2016, 08:51:22 »

I've pretty much had a dry 2016. I could probably count the number times i have drank booze this year on one hand and have fingers left over.

I was never one for having a quiet drink, i never drank at home in the evenings and when i did drink it was for one sole purpose, to get absolutely hammered and wake up in the morning alone and feeling sorry for myself. Since being married with kids, that's obviously stopped and i just don't enjoy drinking any more.
Flashheart

« Reply #7 on: Friday, December 30, 2016, 09:01:03 »

I intend to spend more time boozing with friends this year. I don't get out as much as I should.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Friday, December 30, 2016, 09:34:23 »

just stick the fucking link up and fuck 'em. if they/we don't like it they/we don't have to sponsor you. nobody is going to argue with you about it though!

it's not this type of charity that annoys me, what does is
  1. established charities once you have donated (regularly on dd) hassling you at every opportunity for more  money. in the end it lead to me telling the Red Cross to fuck off

2. please sponsor me so that I can raise enough money to fuck around walking up a mountain, or cycling across somewhere beautiful.. the charity will get what's left after I've paid the company for my jollies

some may say the ends justify the means I suppose.
Panda Paws

« Reply #9 on: Friday, December 30, 2016, 10:03:19 »

just stick the fucking link up and fuck 'em. if they/we don't like it they/we don't have to sponsor you. nobody is going to argue with you about it though!

This.

I think Dry January is fucking stupid, and unhealthy, but if you raise a bit of cash, good on you.
« Last Edit: Friday, December 30, 2016, 10:18:55 by Panda Paws » Logged
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Friday, December 30, 2016, 10:16:22 »

2. please sponsor me so that I can raise enough money to fuck around walking up a mountain, or cycling across somewhere beautiful.. the charity will get what's left after I've paid the company for my jollies

This.

Workplace is full of people who want me to pay for their fucking holiday and are outraged if I point this out to them.

Next one is going to be an in law who is running mega-marathons across the Sahara for a mental health charity.  I asked what was the connection.  None, simply the only charity left who had a slot.  My wife will still  demand that we throw money at him.
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Friday, December 30, 2016, 10:38:10 »

This.

Workplace is full of people who want me to pay for their fucking holiday and are outraged if I point this out to them.

Next one is going to be an in law who is running mega-marathons across the Sahara for a mental health charity.  I asked what was the connection.  None, simply the only charity left who had a slot.  My wife will still  demand that we throw money at him.
See, i don't mind giving to these types of events if the event is going to actually test the person, endurance races, triathlons, etc. I am more likely to sponsor those than someone doing a bungee jump or abseiling down a building.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Friday, December 30, 2016, 11:27:22 »

I've pretty much had a dry 2016. I could probably count the number times i have drank booze this year on one hand and have fingers left over.

I was never one for having a quiet drink, i never drank at home in the evenings and when i did drink it was for one sole purpose, to get absolutely hammered and wake up in the morning alone and feeling sorry for myself. Since being married with kids, that's obviously stopped and i just don't enjoy drinking any more.

I'll drink to that  Pint
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Friday, December 30, 2016, 12:06:09 »

See, i don't mind giving to these types of events if the event is going to actually test the person, endurance races, triathlons, etc. I am more likely to sponsor those than someone doing a bungee jump or abseiling down a building.

I take your point but my beef is that people are usually doing something that they want to do anyway.  The charity is simply a convenient facilitator.  Once you deduct the cost of flying to Africa, accommodation etc. the charity only gets a fraction of what was contributed.  The big winner is the individual who acquires a completely unjustified sanctimonious self justification for effectively morally pressurising their friends and colleagues to fund their adventure holiday.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Friday, December 30, 2016, 12:23:28 »

I take your point but my beef is that people are usually doing something that they want to do anyway.  The charity is simply a convenient facilitator.  Once you deduct the cost of flying to Africa, accommodation etc. the charity only gets a fraction of what was contributed.  The big winner is the individual who acquires a completely unjustified sanctimonious self justification for effectively morally pressurising their friends and colleagues to fund their adventure holiday.

This, I think there is a big difference in doing say the London marathon and buggering off on holiday up kilimanjaro in the name of charity.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: