Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Nene Park - Stand & Floodlights  (Read 12551 times)
backpost

Ignore
« on: Thursday, December 29, 2016, 14:23:34 »

Nene Park (the former Rushden & Diamonds stadium) has been derelict for quite a while, and the floodlights have recently been taken down.

I've heard on pretty good authority that they're due to be installed at the County Ground in the summer and that, subject to planning consent, the tidy Airwair Stand from behind one of the goals will also be transported over.

Here's the one - the Stratton Bank would be the obvious victim, as long as the new one could be installed in there:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nene_Park#/media/File:Shots_fans.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nene_Park#/media/File:AIRWAIR.jpg

theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, December 29, 2016, 14:37:02 »

Normally before purchasing such a thing you would get planning permission but there's nothing on the Swindon planning portal. This combined with the fact we don't currently have a long term lease on the ground leads me to think this is unlikely.

If we are getting the floodlights this would mean the end of our current pylons and that again feels unlikely as we spent a bit of money on them last year.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, December 29, 2016, 14:37:37 »

Well, that's a strange one. Hopefully it's true - Stratton Bank is a waste of space really. Town End needs replacing, too. What else you got?

http://www.afcdiamondsforum.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7726
« Last Edit: Thursday, December 29, 2016, 14:44:58 by Rory Bellend » Logged
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, December 29, 2016, 14:45:52 »

Guessing this is the source:

http://www.afcdiamondsforum.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7726
Flashheart

« Reply #4 on: Thursday, December 29, 2016, 14:48:25 »

Could it be for the training ground?

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, December 29, 2016, 14:50:00 »

It's definitely getting demolished in readiness for redevelopment so it sounds feasible. Power isn't too popular in them thar parts.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, December 29, 2016, 14:54:44 »

Could it be for the training ground?
They haven't got permission to demolish and redevelop Nene Park yet.

It's possible for the training ground but I believe the Highworth residents indicated they would object to floodlights being put up. I guess they might be looking to just add the lights fittings to our existing lights as there are currently some dark areas on the pitch.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, December 29, 2016, 14:56:36 »

well, that the oddest sane rumour I've heard in..er..a while.

it would be a shame to see our old pilons go mind.

I'll believe it when I see it though.
dphunt88

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, December 29, 2016, 14:58:50 »

If the Rushden main stand (holding 2,300 odd seats) does replace the Stratton Bank, then the County Ground capacity would stay practically the same but the away fans' facilities would improve ten-fold. Toilets that aren't portal loos... food/drink windows indoors! Perhaps it would see the end of supporters in the corner of the Arkells (except for big games). Although the cynical part of me says that Mr Power enjoys collecting £25 off of away fans currently!!

It also begs the question logistically, just how do you go about moving a stand 80-90 miles from Irthlingborough to Swindon?! Swindon do have previous here though, with the old Shrivenham Road stand being lifted from Aldershot air tattoo!

With the Rushden stand being much steeper than the current Stratton bank, the floor print would reduce, could this allay historic fears about any new stand blocking residents sunlight?

Enthusiastic Loathed Strangers Podcast contributor.
Local media whore.
Ernie Hunt's second cousin, honest!
Overweight local cricket all-rounder!

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, December 29, 2016, 15:03:10 »

It might well be modular - breaks down into easily moveable sections and then rebuilt on site.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, December 29, 2016, 15:09:03 »

As ever with STFC believe it when you see it.  However I am in favour of recycling stands, hence why I liked the Shrivenham Road so much.

sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, December 29, 2016, 15:10:37 »

As likely to happen as we are to stay up.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, December 29, 2016, 15:40:04 »

As likely to happen as we are to stay up.

In 10/11, after 23 games, we were 4 points better off than this season. The sale of Austin and loss of goals cost us dear.  This season we've just got no goals anyway. If Sherwood can produce a rabbit from the hat all well and good, if it's more Ellliot Benyon, then we will drop.
« Last Edit: Thursday, December 29, 2016, 15:47:38 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, December 29, 2016, 16:03:49 »

If the stand does replace the Stratton bank, I would like to see home fans in there and Town End for away fans. Dad always talks about how good Stratton bank was back in the day.
woolster

« Reply #14 on: Thursday, December 29, 2016, 16:19:45 »

In 10/11, after 23 games, we were 4 points better off than this season. The sale of Austin and loss of goals cost us dear.  This season we've just got no goals anyway. If Sherwood can produce a rabbit from the hat all well and good, if it's more Ellliot Benyon, then we will drop.
I think the bottom 3 at the moment will keep us up as they are really shit, any other season we would be relegated
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: