Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Any Phobias?  (Read 4714 times)
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Friday, September 14, 2018, 23:03:52 »

Phobophobia.

Apart from that I fear nothing.

Nothing is real scary when you think about it though
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Friday, September 14, 2018, 23:14:26 »

All sound inner ear/vertigo related

Nope, that would work if it was just feeling odd when looking down.  Mine is combined with constant thoughts of what would happen if I fell or jumped with the heights one.  It is worse with open heights - so I can sort of do the Empire State Building (as in force myself) but I cannot stand on the edge of a flat roof even at only 8 feet up.  Deep water is partly the drowning thing, but also the worry of the things that might be under me that I cannot see.

Planes is sensible, they are not meant to be up there, no matter how much the science tells me they can, and obviously do.  That is compounded by the fact they nearly always crash due to stupid small things, they are 38k ft in the air and above 38k feet of water!!!  Being drunk helps, but the Adrenalin makes that hard to achieve as well.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Friday, September 14, 2018, 23:27:40 »

Planes is sensible, they are not meant to be up there, no matter how much the science tells me they can, and obviously do.  Being drunk helps, but the Adrenalin makes that hard to achieve as well.

May I suggest a herbal compound of hop strobile, valerian, and passionflower? Take two of these tablets when you're in the boarding queue. They reduce the effect of adrenalin helping you calm a little more. Can make you a little sleepy but I'd say it relaxes. Then try and rationalise the other bits. Most peoples flight fear is during take off and/or landing. When we're gliding at 40k ft it's a generally more serene experience.

I generally like flying but there is one tiny part that I dislike and it's a feeling of compression between take off and reaching altitude, as we climb the footage. Once the plane has levelled off I'm usually fine. Weirdly, the longer the flight the better, for me.

Anyway, if you haven't tried it, the herbal remedy is widely available, relatively cheap and worth a go Smiley

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Saturday, September 15, 2018, 06:29:26 »

Nope, that would work if it was just feeling odd when looking down.  Mine is combined with constant thoughts of what would happen if I fell or jumped with the heights one.  It is worse with open heights - so I can sort of do the Empire State Building (as in force myself) but I cannot stand on the edge of a flat roof even at only 8 feet up.  Deep water is partly the drowning thing, but also the worry of the things that might be under me that I cannot see.

Planes is sensible, they are not meant to be up there, no matter how much the science tells me they can, and obviously do.  That is compounded by the fact they nearly always crash due to stupid small things, they are 38k ft in the air and above 38k feet of water!!!  Being drunk helps, but the Adrenalin makes that hard to achieve as well.
Very similar phobias to me, my fear of heights is odd in that I cannot go up 6 ft on an exposed ladder without shaking, but I have climbed up church steeples through scaffolding and been ok, done Striding Edge etc?

Likewise flying now terrifies me, was fine until my 30's then we had a really turbulent flight on a small plane and both me and the missus just hate it now. Used to manage it with valium and a couple of pints pre flight but not sure if that's and option now I am on AED's, plus it's not really an option if you are driving after the flight.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #19 on: Saturday, September 15, 2018, 08:33:06 »

I don't have any phobias at all, never have done, but I do have a fair few superstitions but thats a whole new ball game.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Saturday, September 15, 2018, 08:46:15 »

snakes or large spiders getting too close to me but I've been lucky. so far.

also, whenever the opposition are in possession in the Swindon half.  not always so lucky there.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #21 on: Saturday, September 15, 2018, 08:48:19 »

also, whenever the opposition are in possession in the Swindon half.  not always so lucky there.
If you ever wish to get over those phobias I help run a company that does handling sessions with both of those as well as scorpions, I have 2 large spiders and 2 snakes and they are friendly at most times Wink we have a total of 10 spiders of tarantula size and 30 snakes between us.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Saturday, September 15, 2018, 08:48:22 »

Mushrooms, ever since I was a kid. 
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Saturday, September 15, 2018, 08:50:51 »

Don't worry, the snakes and spiders are probably shitting themselves as well.  Smiley

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Saturday, September 15, 2018, 09:00:52 »

I sense you are not taking my phobias very seriously, WB Wink

I'd have thought your business would be better at getting problem debts paid up promptly, PV.  A good if scary  suggestion though.  Website or by appointment?

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: