Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 1966 and all that  (Read 10578 times)
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Thursday, November 24, 2016, 14:07:45 »

Should have had a bet on Dennis Brown beforehand, That would have put some "Money in your Pocket"   I thank you..
Private Fraser

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, November 24, 2016, 14:09:30 »

Should have had a bet on Dennis Brown beforehand, That would have put some "Money in your Pocket"   I thank you..

Would you like your coat?  Smiley
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Thursday, November 24, 2016, 14:10:34 »

Already wearing it
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Thursday, November 24, 2016, 15:12:34 »

Dennis Brown was a cracking player.  Gutted when he left. Unfortunately for Bullets, he mangled his knee in a car crash, which although not career threatening probably stopped him from going to a higher level.
Family at War

Midfield Maestro

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Thursday, November 24, 2016, 15:25:42 »

Remember that game and the top era for the town. For some reason loved wingers and town always seemed to come up with them. Will always cherish this time when we had an abundance of them Don/Eric Weaver/Bruce Walker and later Don Heath
Family at War

Midfield Maestro

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Thursday, November 24, 2016, 15:35:00 »

Think we also exchanged Denis Brown for a winger from the Cobblers - Bobby Jones. Danny loved his wingers.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Thursday, November 24, 2016, 15:35:56 »

Remember that game and the top era for the town. For some reason loved wingers and town always seemed to come up with them. Will always cherish this time when we had an abundance of them Don/Eric Weaver/Bruce Walker and later Don Heath

Just before you also had Mike Summerbee, Arnold Darcy, the legendary in wider football Graham French, Peter Leggett and a fave of mine Wee Tommy Henderson, a midget from the Sweatie winger mine situated in Strathclyde, before its recent closure.

Tommy scored the first goal v Oxford at the Manor, a thumping drive from well outside the box.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Thursday, November 24, 2016, 16:01:47 »

Just before you also had Mike Summerbee, Arnold Darcy, the legendary in wider football Graham French, Peter Leggett and a fave of mine Wee Tommy Henderson, a midget from the Sweatie winger mine situated in Strathclyde, before its recent closure.

Tommy scored the first goal v Oxford at the Manor, a thumping drive from well outside the box.
Was that not on his debut?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Thursday, November 24, 2016, 16:08:53 »

Was that not on his debut?

No he scored v Hull at the CG on debut.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Thursday, November 24, 2016, 16:12:58 »

Don't forget Trevor Anderson. Pretty sure he was our leading scorer one season in the 70s.

Not bad for a winger.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Thursday, November 24, 2016, 16:21:48 »

Think we also exchanged Denis Brown for a winger from the Cobblers - Bobby Jones. Danny loved his wingers.

Jones was a Gashead through amd through....over 400 games and 100 goals for them in 2 spells, either side of short stints with Cobbblers and us where he wasn't much good. Another Danny duffer was Barry Lowes, he'd made his name at Barrow and Workington, definitely a school of hard knocks, and probably explained why he could barely move in the 2 games he played for us.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Thursday, November 24, 2016, 16:31:41 »

Don't forget Trevor Anderson. Pretty sure he was our leading scorer one season in the 70s.

Not bad for a winger.

Nobody's forgetting Trevor, it's just he came 10 Years After

suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Thursday, November 24, 2016, 17:09:50 »

I would have classed Anderson more as a number 10 than a winger anyways.
Wilf Shergold

« Reply #28 on: Thursday, November 24, 2016, 23:00:00 »

No he scored v Hull at the CG on debut.

And a rocket it was too, beating a Hull side that won the league. 3 goals in 11 league matches for the 5'3" (or 4") winger, yet he moved on at the end of the season, and hardly played much after that. Wonder why? Injuries?

As for the Horsham match: it was a bloody long way in my mates car, the ground didn't have any terraces (prob my faulty memory) so the view was crap, and it was one of the first places I bought an (underaged) pint.

Of course it was the great Town team that later beat the Hurst/Moore/Peters Hammers and had the 3 epic matches v Forest.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Friday, November 25, 2016, 00:25:54 »

And a rocket it was too, beating a Hull side that won the league. 3 goals in 11 league matches for the 5'3" (or 4") winger, yet he moved on at the end of the season, and hardly played much after that. Wonder why? Injuries?

As for the Horsham match: it was a bloody long way in my mates car, the ground didn't have any terraces (prob my faulty memory) so the view was crap, and it was one of the first places I bought an (underaged) pint.

Of course it was the great Town team that later beat the Hurst/Moore/Peters Hammers and had the 3 epic matches v Forest.

When I see Big John Henderson, throwing arrows, I think of Wee Tommy. There used to be a purity about Scottish football, now long gone. You can still find it in darts.

Jocky Wilson said

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: