Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 1966 and all that  (Read 10576 times)
Hampshirehornet

Ignore
« on: Wednesday, November 23, 2016, 23:49:08 »

This Saturday marks the 50th anniversary of Swindon's visit to Horsham for an FA Cup 1st Round tie. Not, I'm sure, an event that would warrant much more than a statistic in the STFC history books but an historic one for the West Sussex club for whom the Robins' visit brought a club record attendance of almost 8,000 to our old ground on what was only our second ever appearance at that stage of the competition. Coincidentally, Horsham host Hastings on Saturday, the side that provided our 4th qualifying round opponents that same year, and we plan to mark the anniversary with a commemorative programme in which we look back at that Swindon tie and the personnel involved. A number of the Horsham players to have appeared in that match are expected to be present on Saturday and the club's official website will also carry a feature in which we will be publishing some of the memories that our supporters have of that day. To balance it up, I would love to hear from any Swindon fans who might have been at that match in '66 and find out what you remember of the occasion. Perhaps it was the masterful performance of a young Don Rogers? Maybe it was your impressions of the ground? If you would like to share your memories, please email me at horshamfc@yahoo.co.uk by midday on Friday 25th November and I will do my best to include your comments on our website.
Many thanks
Mark Wells
Horsham FC Committee Member
www.horsham-fc.co.uk
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, November 23, 2016, 23:53:48 »

Wow. I'm not too far from Horsham, good luck. Too young to have been there, there maybe one or two who went there as boys here though.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, November 23, 2016, 23:58:12 »

Fill him in Reg....you were there!!

Clems Army!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, November 24, 2016, 00:06:06 »

I was there. Ground seemed to be a park pitch roped off, with people stood 10 deep. Some low life tried to nick my hat which my mother had knitted and got a slap.....probably not a good move on his part.

Always thought the crowd given as 8,000 a bit suspect....possibly guesswork  Smiley Can't remember a thing about the game.
Private Fraser

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, November 24, 2016, 08:33:36 »

Me too.  Went with my father and sat in a wobbly, temporary stand on the halfway line. Remember Mel Nurse having a stand-out game and scoring a goal.  May still have the programme somewhere.  Think it had a green, yellow and white cover.

http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/MatchCentre.asp?Tab=NewspaperReport&MatchID=19670601
« Last Edit: Thursday, November 24, 2016, 08:40:19 by Private Fraser » Logged
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #5 on: Thursday, November 24, 2016, 08:44:14 »

Unfortunately I was only 9 months old but I know my dad and cousin were there and said about how rammed to the rafter (metaphorically speaking) it was, I am sure my dad went partly because he didn't want to stay home with a screaming 9 month old baby Smiley

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, November 24, 2016, 09:09:21 »

I went out with a lass from Horsham once, she was proper crazy!

I didn't go to the game sadly, mainly as I was -9 at the time.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, November 24, 2016, 09:20:11 »

I went out with a lass from Horsham once, she was proper crazy!

I didn't go to the game sadly, mainly as I was -9 at the time.

I've never been back, through or met anyone from Horsham since.  Maybe flown over it, in or out of Gatwick, not sure on that though.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, November 24, 2016, 09:24:10 »

It's not really on the way to anywhere, only reason I've been there is because I had 2 nieces at Christs Hospital I used to visit and take into Horsham for lunch.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, November 24, 2016, 10:24:07 »

Me too.  Went with my father and sat in a wobbly, temporary stand on the halfway line. Remember Mel Nurse having a stand-out game and scoring a goal.  May still have the programme somewhere.  Think it had a green, yellow and white cover.

http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/MatchCentre.asp?Tab=NewspaperReport&MatchID=19670601
Interesting to note that over 3 years later 7 of our team appeared at Wembley to thrash the Arse.

Power would have had them sold pdq! Ah, happier times.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, November 24, 2016, 10:32:50 »

I was there, cannot remember the game, but an interesting train journey - we have have had two "specials" for that one!  Must have been around that era then when we visited Grantham in the cup, thrashed them but there was some crowd trouble as I remember!
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, November 24, 2016, 10:35:49 »

Interesting to note that over 3 years later 7 of our team appeared at Wembley to thrash the Arse.

Power would have had them sold pdq! Ah, happier times.
Somewhat different transfer market as well...
Nick Bamosomi
Bitter & Twisted

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, November 24, 2016, 11:48:57 »

I've had relatives in Horsham for as long as that, but didn't go to the match as I hadn't caught the bug at that stage, my father may have done though.

Never , under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same  night
adje

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, November 24, 2016, 12:10:38 »

Laced up boots and corduroys

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Honest Lee

We are going up ! (sometime)

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, November 24, 2016, 13:46:40 »

I was there, just a nipper (as my dad would say) at the time.
One thing that intrigued me was that in the match day programme there were "pen pictures" of the town players.
There were only three photographs printed : Don Rogers, Mel Nurse and Dennis Brown who as it turns out were the three goalscorers.  Spooky.

The only thing that ever matters is to love and to be loved.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: