Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Southend v Swindon Town offical matchday thread  (Read 29618 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: Thursday, November 24, 2016, 10:00:54 »

The names bandied about at the time, Nichols, Bradshaw and even Keshi Anderson as our main loanee haven't really done much as far as I can tell.

Better than what we ended up with, I suppose. But at what price? We've been spoilt with strikers over the years and it's a shock to witness what we now have.

As we know there are sometimes strikers who smell the sweet Wiltshire air score a load for us and do not much elsewhere.

I make it that in my time of watching, or being aware, there have been 33 individuals mostly strikers who've scored at least 15 league goals in a season. Of which 17 have 20+ and 16 are between 15-20.   Of these the majority would be described as strikers with a few like Don Rogers, Trevor Anderson and David Moss, more wide men who scored goals.

Of these individuals some of them managed more than one season of success. So a 20+ man might be described as a 1 in 2 scorer and  a 15+ man a 1 in 3. There's a raft between 10-15, which can include defenders like Paul Bodin and Shaun Taylor, and midfielders like Ben Gladwin.   Charlie Henry stands out as a defender turned midfielder who once got 18 goals in season.

Jon Obika has a 10+ to his credit, and if he can stay fit and not sold, has the ability to elevate himself into the pantheon. I assume Tactics Tim gave him the captaincy, maybe a shrewd move.

Delf is presently a 1 in 16 man, just edging his partner Norris, who's a 0 in16 man  Smiley
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: Thursday, November 24, 2016, 11:08:00 »

At least Norris has stats to suggest he might be underperforming.

Delfs 1 in 16 is normal for him Sad

Putting all your eggs in the obika basket is mad given his history of injuries, and given we had just lost a striker who scored a massive amount of goals that helped keep us up. So yeah, I can see why Norris could be considered his backup/long term replacement.

Still think Delf was a last minute panic after losing out on Anderson (who we thought would replace Ajose)

Humph, 1 league goal between them. Thank god beeks  is back.
Don Rogers Sock

« Reply #167 on: Thursday, November 24, 2016, 11:12:12 »

I feel a bit sorry for Delfonsou. Every time i see him play his movement has been superb yet know one picks him out.

In a way he is a perfect example of how these fancy systems are destroying strikers. He would be perfect playing off a target man getting in behind defenses but instead is playing left wing right wing in a number 10 role, basically every position apart from where it's obvious to see where he will do the most damage
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: Thursday, November 24, 2016, 11:14:47 »

Batch is right. We clearly missed out on our main target (possibly 2 targets) and had to settle for what we've got. There is something about Delfouneso, sometimes he does look like he has some real talent in his locker, he just doesn't deliver. I think he has a good 'footballing brain' as he does get himself in good positions. He does work hard too, as does Norris most of the time, but we need more than that right now. Even SJO's scoring record isn't brilliant.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: Thursday, November 24, 2016, 11:23:18 »

Sadly, if our 3 strikers can't find about 25 goals between them until the end of the season we will go down. VIgs can be as good as anyone in history, but it will not matter. Alternatively, we need replacements in Jan to get those goals.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: Thursday, November 24, 2016, 11:36:08 »

Delf's performance v Rochdale at home shows what he is capable of in terms of work and movement. He could be a useful player for us, just not as a main striker.

Which I think was covered by others, but wanted to say it as it sounded like I was saying he's shit.
Captain Beefheart

Fast and bulbous, tight also.

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: Thursday, November 24, 2016, 12:24:26 »

How did we line up with each Obika, Norris and Delf on the pitch at Southend? Did Delf shift out wide? He obviously brings something. But if its not goals, he might be better off playing as part of a three?
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: Thursday, November 24, 2016, 12:52:03 »

Delf's performance v Rochdale at home shows what he is capable of in terms of work and movement. He could be a useful player for us, just not as a main striker.
I thought he was the main/only striker in that game. As you say, it was a fine performance.
Panda Paws

« Reply #173 on: Thursday, November 24, 2016, 12:53:33 »

The issue with playing 2 up is you lose Doughty and Goddard being in their best positions.

Delf needs to adjust. He'd be useful as a wideman with a bit of work.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #174 on: Thursday, November 24, 2016, 12:57:37 »

I thought he was the main/only striker in that game. As you say, it was a fine performance.

Maybe using the game where he had a good game as striker wasn't the best argument to use to illustrate why he shouldn't' be striker Smiley

Its the goals return that isn't good enough.
A Gent Orange

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: Thursday, November 24, 2016, 14:28:27 »

Goals per 90 minutes rather than per game make much more sense to use (takes out sub appearances or getting injured or hauled off early) and still Delf and Norris lag behind most, scoring about every four games or so through their careers.

Interestingly Obika is ahead of Ajose in this count as once he hits the field, he scored once every two and a bit games and Ajose has spent a lot of minutes at Pboro and Leeds etc doing a lot less than he did here.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: Thursday, November 24, 2016, 15:17:42 »

If Obika is still here after Jan and can find maybe 13 more goals, and Delf and Norris can muster half a dozen each, we have some sort of chance of staying up, assuming the usual quota of 1's and 2's.
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: Thursday, November 24, 2016, 15:25:11 »

If Obika is still here after Jan and can find maybe 13 more goals, and Delf and Norris can muster half a dozen each, we have some sort of chance of staying up, assuming the usual quota of 1's and 2's.

How many have they scored between them so far? If they manage to score that many in the last 27 games we'll be challenging for the play offs not battling relegation.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: Thursday, November 24, 2016, 15:56:34 »

How many have they scored between them so far? If they manage to score that many in the last 27 games we'll be challenging for the play offs not battling relegation.

Where not quite there yet, but when you struggle down around the bottom 4, you need something like PO form to get yourself out. This is what happened last season, on the back of Ajose's goals.

Consider a season like 10/11, OK we lost CA, 12 in 20, but the other array of strikers used like Dosser, Grella, Miles Storey, Calvin Andrew, Elliot Benyon, David Ball, Pericard, got 10 between them....we went down.

A smilar thing happened in 05/06 Rory Fallon had got 12 in something like 24, before being flogged, the rest contributed another 12....Cureton, Thorpe, Benji, Lee Peacock, Chris McPhee, Ashan Holgate, Lukey Jukey....we went down.
« Last Edit: Thursday, November 24, 2016, 17:12:30 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: