Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 12   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Southend v Swindon Town offical matchday thread  (Read 29903 times)
Panda Paws

« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, November 22, 2016, 10:33:26 »

Never, ever believe there is a thing such as "too good to go down".

Until we address the striker crisis and soft centre anything is possible.

We're by no means too good to go down. The team are underperforming if we do though.

The collection of players is better than relegation fodder, and as a group, both on and off the pitch, they need start showing it.

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, November 22, 2016, 11:36:34 »

We're by no means too good to go down. The team are underperforming if we do though.

We all see things differently, this is a genuine question simply because I don't see where you are coming from. But...

Why do you think we are under performing?

I know the games v Charlton and Rochdale (home) were  very good performances, and we got a few away draws which were commendable. Is it based off that? Our midfield I can see  is better on paper than its showing, a bit like that Wilson year.

For me I don't think its fait accompli, but (**IF** nothing changes in terms of personnel) a team that can't score and can't defend is destined for a relegation dogfight. And we don't do fights.

Come January I think everything will change.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday, November 22, 2016, 12:46:01 »

We all see things differently, this is a genuine question simply because I don't see where you are coming from. But...

Why do you think we are under performing?

I know the games v Charlton and Rochdale (home) were  very good performances, and we got a few away draws which were commendable. Is it based off that? Our midfield I can see  is better on paper than its showing, a bit like that Wilson year.

For me I don't think its fait accompli, but (**IF** nothing changes in terms of personnel) a team that can't score and can't defend is destined for a relegation dogfight. And we don't do fights.

Come January I think everything will change.

In the Wilson year, we were sat in the same league position with 21 points from 18 games.....2 points better off than at present.  We had just got a battling point at Spotland in a 3-3 draw. Things changed in January for the Wilson side and not in a good way....at least some changes offer hope if not guarantees...

That season ultimately,, there weren't enough basket cases, Plymuff did their best by getting a 10 point deduction, but still finished above us.
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, November 22, 2016, 12:46:48 »

Town are just like Longfellow's 'little girl'. We're good enough for the play-offs (Rochdale, Charlton, Oldham), we're bad enough for relegation (most of the rest). Obviously relegation is more likely.

From what I've seen this season, its hard work that wins games - two or three players closing the ball down quickly when not in possession, and having two or three options for quick passes/crosses when in possession. Players have to bust a gut to make it happen.
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday, November 22, 2016, 13:06:00 »

Ranger will be playing like a man possessed tonight - it sounds at the moment that everything is going right for him and we know what he can be like to play, and of course Cox up front with him and Timlin in the middle...

I wonder if we may be better trying a 4-4-2 with Delf and Norris together, at the moment we cant defend with 1 or 2 sitting so why don't we try and be a little more attack minded and give it a go - although it could spectacularly backfire of course

Lastly, what are the odds on Sherwood coming out and defending his team selection and talking over his tactics etc after the match tonight ?
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday, November 22, 2016, 13:39:32 »

Pre match excess uv radiation from the locals in The Last Post.

A repeat of the last midweek game here would be great.
But glass half empty so another 4-0 thrashing with Nile Ranger slapping the defence around throughout, metaphorically speaking.

For those interested in dodgy owners, then Southend had one in the early 80's.
Anton Johnson who had controlling interest in three league clubs at the same time. Real rogue character.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday, November 22, 2016, 13:49:17 »

Southend have a potent front 3 in Fortune, Cox and Ranger. The latter 2 we know all about.

I cannot see past a straightforward defeat tonight and more doom and gloom.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Flashheart

« Reply #22 on: Tuesday, November 22, 2016, 13:51:36 »

I got my PC fixed today, giving me a temporary escape from football.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday, November 22, 2016, 14:06:14 »

I suspect we are likely to be torn a new one.... two half decent strikers against our defence plus having to play twice in 4 days, its likely to be like lambs to the slaughter!
nigel grays a postie

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday, November 22, 2016, 14:07:16 »

Tonights twitter feed from Boo, Vigs and Doughty will as per usual be long along lines of. Boys know we can do better, but we go again Saturday. 3 1 Saarfend. Inevitably Cox and Ranger for them. Furlong with late meaningless consolation for us.

Rogers, Mayes, Shearer, Fjortoft, Cox, Austin, Ritchie. Seen em all flogged off on the cheap
joteddyred

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday, November 22, 2016, 14:33:48 »

I can see us conceding a few again. No doubt Ranger and/or Cox will score.

The team that got relegated in 2010 was much better than this one and they still went down .........
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #26 on: Tuesday, November 22, 2016, 14:51:26 »

In the Wilson year, we were sat in the same league position with 21 points from 18 games.....2 points better off than at present.  We had just got a battling point at Spotland in a 3-3 draw. Things changed in January for the Wilson side and not in a good way....at least some changes offer hope if not guarantees...
Conversely....in 2013-14 season Sheff Utd were occupying 21st spot in the league after 19 games with 4 wins and 4 draws and 16 points (we are 5 wins and 4 draws from 19 games currently)....they went on that season 7th.

Also in the 2014-15 season Barnsley were sat in 22nd place after 19 games with 5 wins, 2 draws and 17 points and they went on to gain promotion via the play offs.

Its far from over but we need to start winnings games soon.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday, November 22, 2016, 15:09:02 »

Anton Johnson, maybe Power should try out a fur coat  Smiley

Of course things can turn around in the second half of the season, however at STFC even when having a decent season things tend to tail away alarmingly.

Maybe TS can have an effect, but so far it looks like he's just muddying the waters...
« Last Edit: Tuesday, November 22, 2016, 15:34:21 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday, November 22, 2016, 15:48:07 »

Conversely....in 2013-14 season Sheff Utd were occupying 21st spot in the league after 19 games with 4 wins and 4 draws and 16 points (we are 5 wins and 4 draws from 19 games currently)....they went on that season 7th.

Also in the 2014-15 season Barnsley were sat in 22nd place after 19 games with 5 wins, 2 draws and 17 points and they went on to gain promotion via the play offs.

Its far from over but we need to start winnings games soon.

Fair points. Can't see it, but I doubt their fans did either.

What was Sheff U's catalyst for that run? Barnsley changed manager didn't they?

Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #29 on: Tuesday, November 22, 2016, 15:51:44 »

Fair points. Can't see it, but I doubt their fans did either.

What was Sheff U's catalyst for that run? Barnsley changed manager didn't they?
I am not sure TBH, I will have a look back and see, but I also can't see it happening but wierder things have happened.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 12   Go Up
Print
Jump to: