Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 ... 24   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Afc Rochdale v Swindon Town Matchday Thread  (Read 62254 times)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #240 on: Sunday, November 20, 2016, 15:08:33 »

A goalscorer wouldn't go amiss . . .

. . . And a toughie in midfield - too many namby pambies

Unless we can offload Kasim and/or Obika I can't see Power funding them. Be more hit and hope types.
FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #241 on: Sunday, November 20, 2016, 15:47:01 »

Yeah it is worse then, as its actually 1.9 million Power stated on the radio, took us into mid table on wage budget.
If that is the case then I just simply don't believe it. Who have we signed that would command the type of wage that would justify a 400k increase on the wage bill. Plus we lost Ajose who would been one of our higher earners last season so you'd need to account for replacing his wage before you even go onto the increase!!

I have a culture, I don't stop my culture!!
FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #242 on: Sunday, November 20, 2016, 15:47:11 »

Yeah it is worse then, as its actually 1.9 million Power stated on the radio, took us into mid table on wage budget.
If that is the case then I just simply don't believe it. Who have we signed that would command the type of wage that would justify a 400k increase on the wage bill. Plus we lost Ajose who would been one of our higher earners last season so you'd need to account for replacing his wage before you even go onto the increase!!

StfcRusty

Ignore
« Reply #243 on: Sunday, November 20, 2016, 15:57:20 »

I think the "in" phrase - post-truth - can be applied to public utterings about our budget and transfer fees paid. Truth is, nobody knows except Power and a few others.

I'd be amazed if we paid the reported fees for Vigs, Norris or Goddard. Far more likely to be a deal structured in such a way that we only pay those fees should we sell the players for big amounts and/or they meet certain targets, which would mean they had performed exceptionally.
dogs

Ignore
« Reply #244 on: Sunday, November 20, 2016, 16:01:53 »

It's interesting that Dale could be without so many first picks and yet still field a team with a balance of youth and experience. Fellas like Keith Keane and Jim McNulty 550 league games between them.  Not a fee paid and a good number of kids picked up on a free, or through their yoofs.

Power clearly thought an old hand was necessary, when Darren Ward was earmarked as the experience on the pitch, only for him to struggle a bit with the pace, got replaced by albeit a very good kid in Stephens, so I think it was decided we could get away with it. Nathan being put into the role.

It seems it's Williams who thinks we can get away without experience.  In essence then Sherwood has to make a couple of shrewd signings as early in Jan as possible, otherwise can only see Div 4 next season.

Yep, biggest January coming up for the club in years. If there's a failure to acquire as least 3 experienced heads, I can only see relegation and a club heading out of the football league. After losing to all the promoted sides bar Wimbledon and failing to beat the likes of Exeter and Eastleigh, in my eyes it's clear this lot would likely get decimated a league below

Reason I state a possible further relegation is because the crowds are already falling sharply and if as Power so-says the budget heavily relies on gates, we could easily be in the 4k territory next season in League Two. Couple this we either a load of youths and left over dross from this season and another rebuild in the summer, it could well be Conference here we come.

Still there is a lot of points up for grabs and time to put this right, we may also be fortunate in that there are other teams equally as poor at a greater number than in previous seasons.
FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #245 on: Sunday, November 20, 2016, 16:03:20 »

I think the "in" phrase - post-truth - can be applied to public utterings about our budget and transfer fees paid. Truth is, nobody knows except Power and a few others.

I'd be amazed if we paid the reported fees for Vigs, Norris or Goddard. Far more likely to be a deal structured in such a way that we only pay those fees should we sell the players for big amounts and/or they meet certain targets, which would mean they had performed exceptionally.
That's definitely the case. The fees I posted earlier are only reported fees & I've gone from memory so may not be totally accurate but ultimately as Flashheart said LP has spent in the market, considerably more than other L1 sides. Out of interest I wonder how many other sides have paid transfer fees for players. 5 of our current squad cost a fee! It's the wages bit that doesn't add up to me!!

Outletred

Ignore
« Reply #246 on: Sunday, November 20, 2016, 16:27:29 »

Power should put the club up for sale. If no one comes forward then fine we have to stick with it however bad.

We are heading backwards- gates going down by 1k last 2 seasons. This just isn't sustainable.

Agree with a double relegation possible- his model is even more iikely to bust in league 2 as more physical down there- kids just will find it even harder- that's if any PL will loan a league 2 club players probably not.

Sherwood needs to man up and face the media after a defeat if he picks the side- not send out Williams.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #247 on: Sunday, November 20, 2016, 16:29:39 »

If the budget follows the income it wont really matter to Power what league we're in. In fact, if he thinks we'll get better gates doing well in L2 than forever struggling in League 1 it might be preferable to him.

The Swindon Way, whatever that is, needs consigning to the dustbin. Pragmatism is the order of the day in the lower leagues and the coaches/coaching needs to reflect that.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #248 on: Sunday, November 20, 2016, 16:39:24 »

It seems it's Williams who thinks we can get away without experience.
Maybe Williams does not want experienced players. Maybe he just wants players who will look up to him and his coaching methods not some old stager who has been around the block a few times and may call out that it is a load of bollox. Maybe, in Williams opinion, it would poison the well. Has he any experience of managing / coaching experienced players?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #249 on: Sunday, November 20, 2016, 16:44:17 »

Maybe Williams does not want experienced players. Maybe he just wants players who will look up to him and his coaching methods not some old stager who has been around the block a few times and may call out that it is a load of bollox. Maybe, in Williams opinion, it would poison the well. Has he any experience of managing / coaching experienced players?

It's entirely conceivable, however I'm sure I've heard it said, perhaps by Luke, that you have to pay for experience and we're not prepared to do that.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #250 on: Sunday, November 20, 2016, 17:03:37 »

It's entirely conceivable, however I'm sure I've heard it said, perhaps by Luke, that you have to pay for experience and we're not prepared to do that.

15th October - sorry for the link but it was the first google hit

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/14803539.Nurturers_Town_to_stick_with_their_youthful_approach/

Quote from: goldenBalls
“I think if you want to have a squad full of the (older) players who have a bit more experience and, physically, a few more years’ development behind them, there’s probably a huge price tag that comes with that.

“At the moment, we have got a very good model that makes Swindon Town football club self-sufficient.

“Of course there are, at times, drawbacks to every project.

“I completely understand the project as a whole and I am here to try and help and support these players to grow into the players we are talking about

I know we aren't talking about a "squad full", but I'm sure he made similar noises to fans phone in questions on similar 'few older heads' questions.

I also think that this no longer holds true. At least I hope so!
« Last Edit: Sunday, November 20, 2016, 17:07:39 by Batch » Logged
woolster

« Reply #251 on: Sunday, November 20, 2016, 17:06:17 »

If the budget follows the income it wont really matter to Power what league we're in. In fact, if he thinks we'll get better gates doing well in L2 than forever struggling in League 1 it might be preferable to him.

The Swindon Way, whatever that is, needs consigning to the dustbin. Pragmatism is the order of the day in the lower leagues and the coaches/coaching needs to reflect that.
if we did get relegated, would  we do any better Hmmm
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #252 on: Sunday, November 20, 2016, 17:25:16 »

We are heading backwards- gates going down by 1k last 2 seasons. This just isn't sustainable.

Not correct:

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #253 on: Sunday, November 20, 2016, 17:29:41 »

Its on course then...
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #254 on: Sunday, November 20, 2016, 17:30:37 »

Its on course then...
Dunno how relevant the figures are for this season but the decline isn't as terminal as people keep banging on about.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 ... 24   Go Up
Print
Jump to: