Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Eastleigh Matchday Thread  (Read 38834 times)
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #240 on: Thursday, November 17, 2016, 12:40:37 »

The 6-0 at maine road that time was pretty bad. Can't remember which year it was.

Edit. 1997.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #241 on: Thursday, November 17, 2016, 12:57:08 »

I raise Eastleigh at home with a 7-0 at Bolton in 97, the 6-0 debacle vs Ipswich at home in 99, the 5-1 Rovers LC game in 84, the 7-1 at Newcastle in 94, the 7-1 at Forest in 06, 6-0 to Scunthorpe away last year, the 2-1 home to Stevenage in 98 when they were non league.

The list of awful games in endless....

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #242 on: Thursday, November 17, 2016, 13:01:34 »

The 73/74 season was pretty shite. One win in 14 games - Oxford 1-0 - 5 goals scored.

Had Richard Legg playing who was a Chippenham lad I went to school with, albeit 3 years ahead of me - fine playing at Hardenhuish Park but dreadful at the CG. Borne out by his career also taking in Bath City and Trowbridge Town.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #243 on: Thursday, November 17, 2016, 13:15:07 »

Worst performances?  Where to start, there have been so many. It tends not to be just the dismal standard on the pitch, the opposition helps, but also the context within which it happens from a personal view.

So for example, you go to Newcastle get beat 7-1, but it doesn't feel anything like as bad losing to someone tinpot  like Cheltnumb.   Newcastle is at least a football city. The ones where you go somewhere like Barnet, away fans outnumber home fans and still you lose  Angry

My personal nadir was away at Rushden and Diamonds, for any number of reasons.   Sometimes you get a Histon away, my then sister in laws kids used to go to school in Histon, she lived edge of Cambridge, used to go there loads, didn't even know Histon had a team  Angry

Bit like getting beat by Purton.

I've definitely come to hate games against the arriviste sides from non league, whether in the cup or when they get promoted. Burton last season being the sort of thing, they're flying we were battling relegation, yet about 20% of the crowd were Town fans.

They easily go up, despite having no name players and change manager, and seem able to cope at Championship level. Forest Green could well be next for a visit 17/18. I can just hear Luke now....boys against men what do we expect they've a bigger budget?  Town fans kick off due to lack of beefburgers and Bovril.
Private Fraser

Ignore
« Reply #244 on: Thursday, November 17, 2016, 13:20:14 »

Yes
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #245 on: Thursday, November 17, 2016, 13:27:47 »

Yeah I understand what you are saying Reg, Cheltnumb cup thrashing is a lot harder to take than a 7 goal defeat to Forest or the Geordies.

Stevenage home was a low spot, Digby keep kicking the ball long at the instruction of Mcmahon into the wind only for it to come straight back him, often without touching the ground.

Awful defeat to a non league team.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #246 on: Thursday, November 17, 2016, 14:04:05 »

the Forest one was a good laugh, in a so bad lets just make the best of it kind of way
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #247 on: Thursday, November 17, 2016, 14:16:21 »

The 2014-15 3-0 losses to Bristol City and MKD on quick succession were fare more painful than any of the 7-1 and 6-0's I've experienced watching Town.
PetsWinPrizes

Ignore
« Reply #248 on: Thursday, November 17, 2016, 14:53:56 »

the Forest one was a good laugh, in a so bad lets just make the best of it kind of way

We were in the bottom tier in a corner as I recall. When the 6th, or possibly the 7th, went in, the travelling Town support turned to the Forest fans in the tier above and gave a gutsy rendition of

"And we're by far the greatest team, the world has ever seen"

A great moment from our fans, if not our team of the time.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #249 on: Thursday, November 17, 2016, 15:19:40 »

And "What's it like to be outclassed?" IIRC. Although that may have been when we got the 1 goal back. Applauded out of the ground by the Forest fans, we showed all the pride and spirit the team lacked that day. My eldest's first away game, he loved it!
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #250 on: Thursday, November 17, 2016, 15:25:23 »

Re-live the fantasy. Note how many came from corners

Whits
Morphined Up

« Reply #251 on: Thursday, November 17, 2016, 15:34:55 »

got into an argument with a forest fan after that game, was walking back to train station and obviously mildy pissed off, my mate phoned me to tell me that the score had come up in letters on sky sports to which I replied saying the ref was a joke, 3 of the goals where fouls on the keeper and 4 had been offside and we should have won 1-0 to which q forest fan went mental at me saying I didn't know anything about football?! Haha turns out he didn't understand sarcasm

Plays in midfield and his name is Tommy Miller,
signed him from Huddersfield his name is Tommy Miller,
first touch is average but his second is a killer,
heeeeeey Tommy Miller!
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #252 on: Thursday, November 17, 2016, 15:46:04 »

the Forest game was a superb day out except for the football

I come from a land down-under
Whits
Morphined Up

« Reply #253 on: Thursday, November 17, 2016, 15:55:16 »

so many good away days are ruined by football!!

Plays in midfield and his name is Tommy Miller,
signed him from Huddersfield his name is Tommy Miller,
first touch is average but his second is a killer,
heeeeeey Tommy Miller!
FormerlyPlymRed

Ignore
« Reply #254 on: Thursday, November 17, 2016, 16:08:04 »

And "What's it like to be outclassed?" IIRC. Although that may have been when we got the 1 goal back. Applauded out of the ground by the Forest fans, we showed all the pride and spirit the team lacked that day. My eldest's first away game, he loved it!
My first away game as well! One of my favourites as well, great support throughout
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18   Go Up
Print
Jump to: