Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 18   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Eastleigh Matchday Thread  (Read 39355 times)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« on: Tuesday, November 15, 2016, 04:07:20 »

Seeing as I started the original cup thread and we're still in it I'll give it another go.

Shame there's no Cunstable tonight - suspended after being booked last Saturday. Cried off, I reckon. Useless twat.

They will undoubtedly put up more of a fight than Charlton who probably put in one of the most limp-wristed performances seen at the CG for some time - from the opposition, anyway.

Keep an eye on that Coulson fella of theirs - might be worth tracking until January. Impressed with him at Eastleigh even through a Doom Bar fog.

Expect a win tonight in regulation time - 3-1. Apparently they should have about 700 at the CG. Decent turnout, that.

Should boost the crowd to over 5,000, anyway. Looking forward to it. Can't beat a cup game under lights. A certain 4-3 leaps to mind - never felt quite so squashed at a game.

« Last Edit: Tuesday, November 15, 2016, 04:11:02 by Rory Bellend » Logged
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, November 15, 2016, 05:25:53 »

3-1 Town.

Roaming the land while you sleep..
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, November 15, 2016, 08:19:08 »

Town win...cmon...

Clems Army!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, November 15, 2016, 09:17:04 »

I admire Rory's optimism. It's been an awful long time since a decent CG, FA or LC cup game under lights. Have we had one in the 21st Century? I'm thinking probably McMahon era  Hmmm

Two things.  We struggle badly with playing 2 games in a week. When we've had the odd win this season we've failed to back it up.  You'd imagine a draw again the most likely result, and extra time and pens. Given our success in the Boycott Trophy, could we be the new Germany?
Panda Paws

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, November 15, 2016, 09:21:48 »

I admire Rory's optimism. It's been an awful long time since a decent CG, FA or LC cup game under lights. Have we had one in the 21st Century? I'm thinking probably McMahon era  Hmmm

Two things.  We struggle badly with playing 2 games in a week. When we've had the odd win this season we've failed to back it up.  You'd imagine a draw again the most likely result, and extra time and pens. Given our success in the Boycott Trophy, could we be the new Germany?

Blackburn at home, LG Cup... QF maybe? Although that must have been 96/97...
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, November 15, 2016, 09:31:19 »

Blackburn at home, LG Cup... QF maybe? Although that must have been 96/97...

Think it may have been an earlier round, but vintage McMahon.  I wonder if Sherwood played that night?
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, November 15, 2016, 10:20:21 »

Decent in terms of result or occasion?
SuggWillSugg MBE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, November 15, 2016, 10:26:35 »

Villa a few years ago was pretty good occasion wise.

Though we didn't win. Miles Storey Cometh'

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, November 15, 2016, 10:32:01 »

Decent in terms of result or occasion?

Think it has to be a combination of both.  A win is great, but an exciting defeat, with a sense of occasion and good crowd is something. The 2-3 Blackburn game, was one such, as we went 2-0 up v the Champions, only to be undone by Sutton and Shearer, who at the time were  avery decent combo.

The 2-0 loss to Chelsea, couple of years back, had the crowd, but we never really created anything that looked like causing an upset, so a bit tame in the end.

Probably the last floodlight CG cracker was beating Millwall, in the Mike McCarthy, bum in Burtons game. well over 20 years ago.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, November 15, 2016, 10:34:53 »

I disgraced myself monumentally at that game. Makes me shudder to this day.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, November 15, 2016, 10:35:57 »

Villa was decent when you know who got us back in the game, they were somewhat of a high profile team just about at the time
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, November 15, 2016, 10:36:18 »

Villa a few years ago was pretty good occasion wise.

Though we didn't win. Miles Storey Cometh'

Yep good shout, near yet so far.
nigel grays a postie

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, November 15, 2016, 10:39:27 »

Not up there with Arsenal admittedly but in rounds prior to Villa despatching Burnley and Brighton under the CG Lights, who were both  then League above us (and Burnley possibly had been Premier League season before??) were both pretty decent efforts as was home win v Barnet to reach Mickey Mouse Cup Final

Rogers, Mayes, Shearer, Fjortoft, Cox, Austin, Ritchie. Seen em all flogged off on the cheap

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, November 15, 2016, 10:41:19 »

Away at Luton in the Simod Cup with Bamber hearing the phantom ref's whistle was a cracking atmosphere for one of the forerunners of the Wanky Cups.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, November 15, 2016, 10:43:20 »

Not up there with Arsenal admittedly but in rounds prior to Villa despatching Burnley and Brighton under the CG Lights, who were both  then League above us (and Burnley possibly had been Premier League season before??) were both pretty decent efforts as was home win v Barnet to reach Mickey Mouse Cup Final

Brighton crowd....5737  Burnley crowd.... 7353  Not exactly old skool.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 18   Go Up
Print
Jump to: