Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: So then..... Sherwood  (Read 20818 times)
Don Rogers Sock

« on: Friday, November 11, 2016, 09:27:06 »

Thought i would start a new one.

What we expecting then? Change of style,formation?

It will be interesting that's for sure and not sure if many noticed yesterday but it appears we have someone for the first time who will be able to do it his own way.

Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Friday, November 11, 2016, 09:42:43 »

A change was definitely needed. I'm pleased its a case of Williams 'stepping back' as he does get on with the players and is highly rated as a coach. Sherwood has pointed out some of our frailties so hopefully we can work on fixing them. He still hasn't mentioned our terrible fitness and discipline, but one thing at a time I guess...

Should give the players a lift too.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Friday, November 11, 2016, 09:49:09 »

From the presser, Sherwood 'talked the talk' and raised many of the deficiencies that have blighted the last two seasons, to address this as he suggested he will, in the manner in which he also discussed will mean changes to formation to counteract our opponents as we have depended too much on being able to beat teams with our system and had no other plan (I think he mentioned that we needed a Plan B).

I suppose the question that remains unanswered is whether he will be allowed to 'walk the walk' and put this into practice, it was suggested yesterday that he would but time will tell, I must admit the idea of mates working together does worry me as it has the potential to go spectacularly wrong but we shall see, I still wonder whether there is some manner of performance (or player profit) incentive in place rather than a salary, but we will never know.
Panda Paws

« Reply #3 on: Friday, November 11, 2016, 09:58:35 »

Interesting to note how his sides played when he was at Villa - often 442, accused of being "basic" but ultimately a high press, direct to a big man, strong wide players and a (sometimes reckless) gung ho approach.

In other words, completely opposite to what we do right now. I guess we'll see whether that was out of necessity or desire, but think we'll change it up considerably, and expect an emphasis on wide players and CBs in January.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Friday, November 11, 2016, 09:58:38 »

Pretty much agree with Horlock.

I'd add he's not one to make me wet my pants in excitement, he's still got to prove himself as a manager. He's not an Ossie or Paolo for me.

But conversely we've got to give him time to succeed, or otherwise. I can't see us becoming a different team overnight simply because I don't think we have the personnel - something TS eluded to with his comments about bringing in players in January.

It'll be tweaks, and hopefully we stop passing for the sake of it/play it forward quicker (the Fonz should like that). Oh and sorting out our defending in the process would be good - something supercoach Williams never managed.
« Last Edit: Friday, November 11, 2016, 10:01:48 by Batch » Logged
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Friday, November 11, 2016, 10:08:54 »

We still have the basic problem of a squad of inexperienced players, struggling with the demands of Div 3.

For me much of his time should be spent in setting up some moves ready for January, both in and out.

If he can find a way of getting, for example, a few goals out of Norris and Delfouneso, then great.  If he can get someone to take a corner properly, or make the keeper work from a free kick, even better.

With what we've got atm, edging up the table to say 17th/18th would be an achievement.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Friday, November 11, 2016, 10:13:21 »

Pretty much agree with Horlock.

I'd add he's not one to make me wet my pants in excitement, he's still got to prove himself as a manager. He's not an Ossie or Paolo for me.

But conversely we've got to give him time to succeed, or otherwise. I can't see us becoming a different team overnight simply because I don't think we have the personnel - something TS eluded to with his comments about bringing in players in January.

It'll be tweaks, and hopefully we stop passing for the sake of it/play it forward quicker (the Fonz should like that). Oh and sorting out our defending in the process would be good - something supercoach Williams never managed.

But equally both Ossie and Paolo (just for you Nev - although it keeps autocorrecting to Paolo!) were entirely unproven when they came here, Sherwood's record is mixed (50% win rate at Spurs and 35.7% at Villa - overall 42.9 which isn't that bad when you consider what a basket case Villa were - cannot remember of he was actually allowed to sign any players) and entirely unproven at this level. By comparison the two great managerial hopes for English football, Appleton and Howe have 35.85 and 46.1% (but only 39.1 at Burnley) respectively - yeah I know its only statistics!  Cheesy

Defensive coaching seems to be the nemesis of the 'modern' coach, see also Martinez, R the absence of decent defenders seems mirrored by an equal absence of decent defensive coaches!
« Last Edit: Friday, November 11, 2016, 10:19:23 by horlock07 » Logged
Flashheart

« Reply #7 on: Friday, November 11, 2016, 10:17:30 »

I know he had a bad time at a poor Aston Villa, but he had a premier league team in 6th place after 28(?) games with a 50%+ win ratio.

I'm fucking well astounded that anybody would think he's not a good appointment for a 3rd tier team. Absolutely baffled.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Friday, November 11, 2016, 10:20:35 »

This
worcesterrobin

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Friday, November 11, 2016, 10:29:40 »

I know he had a bad time at a poor Aston Villa, but he had a premier league team in 6th place after 28(?) games with a 50%+ win ratio.

I'm fucking well astounded that anybody would think he's not a good appointment for a 3rd tier team. Absolutely baffled.

Totally agree flasheart. Williams needed some help and guidance and Sherwoods appointment will be a great help to him. Manager, Coach, D of F or whatever
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #10 on: Friday, November 11, 2016, 10:31:06 »

If you ignore the cups his win rate at spurs is pushing 60%

http://www.myfootballfacts.com/TottenhamHotspurManagersRecords1898-2009.html
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Friday, November 11, 2016, 10:32:37 »

This
Ditto
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Friday, November 11, 2016, 10:32:50 »

Assumed that is aimed at me? I said I'm not excited by it. I don't think this basket case of a club should be able to attract anyone on its own merit.

His Tottenham record was superb, but I find it hard to see any parallels with what we have to work with at Swindon.

Lastly, I didn't say it was bad. Its as good as we could hope for and equally a fuck load better than doing nothing. He could become the best manager we have ever had for all I know. I'm just not getting the "wow-this is going to be super amazing" feel that some have - yet.
==
If it wasn't aimed at me, I'll pretend it was anyway. I like my paranoia.
« Last Edit: Friday, November 11, 2016, 10:34:53 by Batch » Logged
Flashheart

« Reply #13 on: Friday, November 11, 2016, 10:34:15 »

If you ignore the cups his win rate at spurs is pushing 60%

http://www.myfootballfacts.com/TottenhamHotspurManagersRecords1898-2009.html

That's an astonishing record for any league, let alone the PL.
Flashheart

« Reply #14 on: Friday, November 11, 2016, 10:36:12 »

Assumed that is aimed at me? I said I'm not excited by it.

It wasn't necessarily aimed at you specifically, but what would excite you?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: