Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: My Football Charity Book  (Read 1708 times)
ChrisFGR

Ignore
« on: Thursday, November 10, 2016, 10:40:51 »

Hi Robins.  Hope you may be in a generous mood!

I'm looking for a favour if you will, all in a good cause.  On 22nd October, I launched a book:  “The Rise of Forest Green Rovers – The Road to Wembley”

The reason for writing the book was severalfold.  Principally to raise money for the wonderful charity of which I am proud to Chair, Gloucestershire Deaf Association but partly to tick off another entry on my bucket list!  In essence, the book tells the story of a remarkable season for FGR seen and told through the opinions, tales and even poetry of supporters.  Joy, angst and gallows humour aplenty.

Although never before a published author, I write for my own enjoyment and for that of my misguided friends.  Prematurely retired I used to supply articles for professional magazines and sports reports for local media.  More recently, I write as Rambling Man for FGR's Match Day magazine.

Celebrity supporter Jilly Cooper has been wonderfully supportive of the book.  She insisted on reading the manuscript and provided a Foreword, as did Dale Vince.  She attended the launch with Dale and me to sign copies for a never ending line of purchasers.  Coverage in the local press, radio and TV was brilliant too.

The Rise of Forest Green Rovers is an entirely charitable venture.  I have paid for publishing which was provided on a consultancy fee basis.  That left me as owner and vendor of all the copies printed.  All receipts from sales go to GDA with a simple deduction of £3 for my printing costs.

The reception for the book and its sales have exceeded my most optimistic projections.  Just a few weeks on since the launch, about 400 copies have already been ordered/sold, including substantial take up by national and local bookshops.  That amounts to net receipts of £4,000 for GDA.  My initial print run of 500 should be taken up by Christmas, yielding another £1,000 or so.  I'm amazed and very grateful

As I mentioned, away from 'The Beautiful Game' I am honoured to be Chair of multi-award winning local charity GDA (http://www.gda.org.uk/), which supports Deaf People and their families in Gloucestershire, Bristol, South Gloucestershire and beyond.  I myself am severely and profoundly deaf following illness which caused my early retirement in 2010.  GDA has been grateful for generous help from FGR and its supporters and the Club is helping to market the book.

So that was the softening up bit, now the rub!  Might you be able to recommend the book to Robins supporters?

The book is available through the GDA website, or direct from me, or from bookshops like Waterstones.  If people buy from me or GDA, £10 of the purchase price of £12.99 goes to GDA, whereas the bookshop's discount means less, £5.50

Several other local clubs have bought copies and even some widespread National League ones too.  Such is the fraternity of good hearted supporters

With all good wishes

Chris Gardner.  Chair GDA (GDA is a registered charity no.1015937 and a company limited by guarantee no. 2692718)
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, November 10, 2016, 11:39:31 »

Entirely a charitable venture? But you take a chunk.. sorry, "simple deduction"? And it's clearly for your own self worth (the use of the word I, me and my in that post is way too much for a charitable venture, as is the constant need to say how amazing it all is).

Sounds like a shit book too. If I wanted to know what it's like to be a shit football club who lost a big game I'd watch pretty much any of the last 10 years of our recent history on YouTube.

See you next season. And Jilly Cooper. Whoever that is.

Oh and it's not that I'm not in a generous mood, I just dislike shysters.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, November 10, 2016, 11:41:02 »

Oh and I'd happily donate to the charity as long as none of it went to you Smiley
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, November 10, 2016, 11:53:29 »

He says he's funded the printing, production etc himself so the 3 quid is just to pay him back what he's put in? It's not like he's lining his own pockets, and he's readily admitted that he's effectively doing this to "scratch an itch" and help the charity out at the same time. What's wrong with that you miserable sod? I'm going to buy 3 copies, just to annoy you Smiley
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, November 10, 2016, 11:57:13 »

He says he's funded the printing, production etc himself so the 3 quid is just to pay him back what he's put in? It's not like he's lining his own pockets, and he's readily admitted that he's effectively doing this to "scratch an itch" and help the charity out at the same time. What's wrong with that you miserable sod? I'm going to buy 3 copies, just to annoy you Smiley

Meh, just don't like the "look at me... oh ps, charity" angle. It's all clearly for his own self worth. There's better ways to do it. Such as "Hey guys, I've written a book to raise money for charity, the charity is xyz and it was founded in.. etc..etc..." I mean I still wouldn't have bought the book because it does sound shit, but still. Also no links to just donate, which makes me sceptical.

Don't think I'm miserable. Just cynical. Definitely a sod though

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, November 10, 2016, 12:00:31 »

Meh, just don't like the "look at me... oh ps, charity" angle. It's all clearly for his own self worth. There's better ways to do it. Such as "Hey guys, I've written a book to raise money for charity, the charity is xyz and it was founded in.. etc..etc..." I mean I still wouldn't have bought the book because it does sound shit, but still. Also no links to just donate, which makes me sceptical.

Don't think I'm miserable. Just cynical. Definitely a sod though

Buy David Squires "The Illustrated History of Football" .....

and make a donation to the charity.

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, November 10, 2016, 12:18:07 »

Meh, just don't like the "look at me... oh ps, charity" angle. It's all clearly for his own self worth.

So what? Plenty of people do marathons, jump out of planes etc etc for charity where they're clearly also getting something out of it. Does it matter? Seems like a win-win to me

He's also the Chair of the charity in question, I'm guessing that's not happened overnight and that kind of voluntary work can be a significant undertaking, probably 100s of hours of unpaid work there over the years. I know you don't like to talk about your charity work (obviously as that might be for your self worth) but what was the last thing you did for charity?

PS, those 3 copies I'm buying, they're your Christmas present Wink
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, November 10, 2016, 12:21:57 »

We are Swindon and we don't do success stories here.

If there has to be a "road to Wembley" it must end in bitter humiliation or at least be ironic and not "incredible"

Now jog on to the Franchise Forum, pal, they may be more appreciative of bought success
adje

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, November 10, 2016, 12:40:17 »

Being pushed in WSC this month

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, November 10, 2016, 13:57:59 »

So what? Plenty of people do marathons, jump out of planes etc etc for charity where they're clearly also getting something out of it. Does it matter? Seems like a win-win to me

He's also the Chair of the charity in question, I'm guessing that's not happened overnight and that kind of voluntary work can be a significant undertaking, probably 100s of hours of unpaid work there over the years. I know you don't like to talk about your charity work (obviously as that might be for your self worth) but what was the last thing you did for charity?

PS, those 3 copies I'm buying, they're your Christmas present Wink

haha, the dog needs a new chew toy, cheers!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: