Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Eastleigh v Swindon Matchday Thread  (Read 57783 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #255 on: Saturday, November 5, 2016, 16:28:39 »

I think you'd be surprised at the number of people that agree with you about him a. being a full back and b. not being captain. I tend to agree.

But, I do think he's in the team on merit, I'd even pick him every time over branco at CB.

And he is one of our own. And yes he's dropped a few bollocks that have been less scrutinised because of it.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #256 on: Saturday, November 5, 2016, 16:41:25 »

I agree with most of what you say. He's not a true leader but there are no other obvious candidates so he gets the gig. He has too much to do because the way we play does expose him as it does others. Where he scores points however is that he tries to sort the fuck ups out rather than just shrug his shoulders and that is because he does care. A lot of the town players clearly do not give a fuck. I'd go as far as to say the only ones i think do care are doughty, fonz and Nathan. The others are using us as we are using them. We get them cheap but we give them a shop window. We will coach them as individuals instead of building a team. I will always get behind the 100%ers. Id prefer to have a tough tackling midfield general as captain but there's as much chance of us getting one of those as there is of me fucking the next 5 years miss worlds. Like all players Nathan will divide opinion. Hecfucks up too much for my liking but I think there are reasons I understand as to why. I would save my ire for some of the others.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #257 on: Saturday, November 5, 2016, 17:08:20 »

I watched the game back today and the number times players in midfield were close enough to put a challenge in but didn't - they just  half-jogged towards the player and that was it.

Kasim is only playing to try and get some money for him in January.

Say what you like about Power but he's no mug - as a football man he must know what type of players we need.

Whatever happened to the high pressing, get in your face football of the first 2 home games of the season?
REDBUCK

« Reply #258 on: Saturday, November 5, 2016, 20:25:24 »

Barry is particularly good at avoiding the ball and hiding behind opponents as is Rogers.

For what it's worth, I reckon Michael D would make a better captain.
johnritsons toupe

Ignore
« Reply #259 on: Saturday, November 5, 2016, 20:46:53 »

Barry is particularly good at avoiding the ball and hiding behind opponents as is Rogers.

For what it's worth, I reckon Michael D would make a better captain.

Good call. The only downside would be that it would demonstrate the high esteem we hold him in, thus pushing his price up and making him more attractive to other clubs.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #260 on: Sunday, November 6, 2016, 16:20:19 »

Making Doughty captain might also detract from his creative role

Most of the players have taken stick but I rather agree with Bellend in that I think there is decent ability in the squad and that the main issues (injuries apart) are instilling better belief and motivation, some drills and more appropriate formations including some PACE or ability to change pace

That may be down to Power but I think the time for the manager's position to be considered has now come.  Eastleigh were poor and barring incredible ill fortune they were there to be beaten on the evidence of their limited performance.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #261 on: Sunday, November 6, 2016, 16:25:57 »

I wouldn't be happy with a loanee being captain.
hefty toe

Ignore
« Reply #262 on: Sunday, November 6, 2016, 17:14:17 »

Doesn't really matter who the captain is. It's not like cricket.
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #263 on: Sunday, November 6, 2016, 19:14:37 »

Doesn't really matter who the captain is. It's not like cricket.

Agree. Just because you aren't a captain, it doesn't mean that you can't galvinise the team and be a leader.
As mentioned above not many that really really care; I'd say Thompson, Goddard and Doughty do and perhaps Barry and Brophy without having the quality to back it up.. especially BB.

Ignore
« Reply #264 on: Sunday, November 6, 2016, 19:32:34 »

Doesn't really matter who the captain is.
Disagree. A strong captain is a huge bonus to the manager and the side. Colin Calderwood here. Tony Adams, Roy Keane two prime examples of great leaders who im sure influenced results due to their captaincy

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #265 on: Sunday, November 6, 2016, 19:42:51 »

Agree. Just because you aren't a captain, it doesn't mean that you can't galvinise the team and be a leader.
As mentioned above not many that really really care; I'd say Thompson, Goddard and Doughty do and perhaps Barry and Brophy without having the quality to back it up.. especially BB.

Gareth Southgate was talking about this in the week, saying that England lack leaders and you need 4 or 5 on the pitch. His line as that too much is left to Rooney.

Because of our inexperienced squad, too much is on Nathan shoulders. Branco and Kasim are the next 2 in line but hopelessly out of form, so seemingly unable to do much. Branco looks like he's yet to recover from his recent op and injuries, and probably needs to be 100% to play at this level.  Yaser looks to have given up, and is playing within himself to avoid injury before moving either Jan or summer.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #266 on: Sunday, November 6, 2016, 20:51:32 »

Difficult to appoint any sort of captain when the oldest is 25/26.

Clems Army!
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #267 on: Sunday, November 6, 2016, 20:53:31 »

Disagree. A strong captain is a huge bonus to the manager and the side. Colin Calderwood here. Tony Adams, Roy Keane two prime examples of great leaders who im sure influenced results due to their captaincy

As long as the strong captain isn't allowed too much influence (Fergie bombed out Keane when he openly questioned players on MUTV). We saw that in the play off final when NT was allowed to start when clearly not fit and the game was gone after 3 minutes.

Undoubtedly he is seen as a leader amongst the rest of the team but his passion boils over to his own detriment and the team's.  Remember sendings off against Brighton and Millwall chasing impossibly lost causes or playing when half fit and breaking down again.

It's a Catch 22, where because he is captain he feels he has to do this for the team but lets the team down by not being available. He needs to be more selfish to get his own fitness and game right. He needs to be a bit more cool under pressure like Colin The Fridge Calderwood. Problem is there are few other options at the moment.
hefty toe

Ignore
« Reply #268 on: Sunday, November 6, 2016, 22:25:56 »

I think the likes of Calderwood, Adams, Keane etc. would have contributed to positive results irrespective of whether they were captain.

Ignore
« Reply #269 on: Sunday, November 6, 2016, 22:26:45 »

As long as the strong captain isn't allowed too much influence (Fergie bombed out Keane when he openly questioned players on MUTV). We saw that in the play off final when NT was allowed to start when clearly not fit and the game was gone after 3 minutes.

Undoubtedly he is seen as a leader amongst the rest of the team but his passion boils over to his own detriment and the team's.  Remember sendings off against Brighton and Millwall chasing impossibly lost causes or playing when half fit and breaking down again.

It's a Catch 22, where because he is captain he feels he has to do this for the team but lets the team down by not being available. He needs to be more selfish to get his own fitness and game right. He needs to be a bit more cool under pressure like Colin The Fridge Calderwood. Problem is there are few other options at the moment.

Yeah you're right regarding Keane. He ran his course there.
I also agree regarding Nate. I do feel sorry for him though. He needs other leader types around him and with such a young side that is almost impossible.

I think the likes of Calderwood, Adams, Keane etc. would have contributed to positive results irrespective of whether they were captain.

Agree but their captaincies shouldn't be underestimated either.
« Last Edit: Sunday, November 6, 2016, 22:28:51 by Arriba » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21   Go Up
Print
Jump to: