Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 ... 19   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Scunthorpe v Swindon match day thread  (Read 39682 times)
Flashheart

« Reply #180 on: Saturday, October 29, 2016, 17:12:52 »

Interested to know how many think a better manager would get more out of these players, as you suggest.

Because that's what 'better' managers are prone to do?

I did see the Bolton game and saw a group with some talented individuals, others less so. The group just seemed clueless as to what they should be doing. I'm confident a decent manager will get our better players playing to their strengths and the less talented playing within their limits. That's what good managers do, it's a very big part of what makes them good managers in the first place.
Flashheart

« Reply #181 on: Saturday, October 29, 2016, 17:16:42 »

Not having Branco trying to bring the ball out would be one example. That's not him, he can't do that. He might make an excellent no-nonsense stopper, but he's not being asked to play that role.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: Saturday, October 29, 2016, 17:17:14 »

He needs the stand up and take responsibility for a change. His whole business model is a farce. Only willing to invest for a big profit to line his own pockets.

We have huge potential with a 200k catchment area.

All for being sustainable but I want to know where the money has gone from Gladwin,Loungo, Thompson, Byrne and Ajose.

He is taking you all for mugs
Come on then smart arse what are the options then? You going to come and buy the club yourself are you?

Last time we were available and much more attractive only Jed was interested, if you really think forcing Power out now will result in anything other than financial oblivion then you are the real mug!
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: Saturday, October 29, 2016, 17:25:12 »

Because that's what 'better' managers are prone to do?

I did see the Bolton game and saw a group with some talented individuals, others less so. The group just seemed clueless as to what they should be doing. I'm confident a decent manager will get our better players playing to their strengths and the less talented playing within their limits. That's what good managers do, it's a very big part of what makes them good managers in the first place.

Thanks. I hadn't worked any of that out for myself.

I watched us at Oldham - a team who put us under no pressure. Our gameplan was clear. The players knew exactly what they were doing - what their jobs were, what the tactics were... and we won against truly dire opponents.

It was similar at Shrewsbury - opposition who ran around a lot, and gave it a good go, but also looked like relegation fodder. Again, our game plan was clear, but we just weren't good enough to pull it off when any pressure was put on us. Passes went astray. Runs weren't made, and if they were, they weren't picked up. Mistakes were made at the back. Our strikers looked impotent.

We don't have players who can score goals. We don't have players who can defend. A centre back and a striker are essential in January. That's why I think the problems lie primarily in recruitment. Williams may not be cut out for management, but I'm not sure this group is good enough to stay up regardless.
Flashheart

« Reply #184 on: Saturday, October 29, 2016, 17:32:30 »

Thanks. I hadn't worked any of that out for myself.

Not sure what the sarcasm is for, you asked a question and I answered it.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: Saturday, October 29, 2016, 17:40:22 »

I watched us at Oldham - a team who put us under no pressure. Our gameplan was clear. The players knew exactly what they were doing - what their jobs were, what the tactics were... and we won against truly dire opponents.

It was similar at Shrewsbury - opposition who ran around a lot, and gave it a good go, but also looked like relegation fodder.

At this stage of the season it's important not to become detached, which so far we haven't.....in fact we're 3 points better off than the same stage last season. It's not a surprise to see us down there with Shrews and Oldham. Chesterfield is a bit of a surprise, but I assume Evans has been away for them and could come back in to get them the necessary goals. The pink pig basket case clubs, may self implode, but you'd expect them to be able to stay up.....Cov managed it playing in Northampton.  I could see Gills sliding and possibly Bury, if the financial shit hits the fan further. It will look a lot clearer once we enter 2017.
Outletred

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: Saturday, October 29, 2016, 17:41:12 »

Come on then smart arse what are the options then? You going to come and buy the club yourself are you?

Last time we were available and much more attractive only Jed was interested, if you really think forcing Power out now will result in anything other than financial oblivion then you are the real mug!

Last time was a fire sale maybe different going through a full process.

Agree we have no assets in terms of the ground and we even do not own the training ground!

We have no playing assets as soon as there is any whiff of a fee they are sold

We do have big potential as a fan base- huge catchment area with little competition within 40 miles-  also in top half of supported clubs in the league- although 6k plus average is poor and Power is largely to blame for this due to his awful PR and poor football- many clubs in this division most of who are higher than us can only dream of our cro fans. Look at Scunny today

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: Saturday, October 29, 2016, 17:52:53 »

Agree we have no assets in terms of the ground and we even do not own the training ground!

We do have big potential as a fan base- huge catchment area with little competition within 40 miles-  also in top half of supported clubs in the league- although 6k plus average is poor and Power is largely to blame for this due to his awful PR and poor football- many clubs in this division most of who are higher than us can only dream of our cro fans. Look at Scunny today

The population size is of no relevance.....Swindon used to be a football town, but isn't any longer, and hasn't been for some years. The incomers, have mainly no attachment or interest in the FC....its the way of things. The younger generation even if they're Swindon born, will look towards Prem glory hunting....and in many ways who can blame them, it's not easy supporting a shit side.

On a sliding scale for Scunny's 4 thousand we should be getting 12 being a three times bigger town....we don't.
« Last Edit: Saturday, October 29, 2016, 17:54:26 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
newmarket red
, ; . ' ?

Thrives on negativity.

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: Saturday, October 29, 2016, 17:56:11 »

Another great loss today well done williams keep up the good work.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: Saturday, October 29, 2016, 18:03:23 »

Another well written and insightful post. Keep up the good work.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: Saturday, October 29, 2016, 18:07:41 »

Not sure what the sarcasm is for, you asked a question and I answered it.

The only question I asked was how many people thought a better manager would get more out of these particular players. From what I've seen, they're just not good enough.
joteddyred

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: Saturday, October 29, 2016, 18:18:32 »

The phrase that hits me is "....if they want a career in professional football" fucks sake they've unbelievably already got one or why would they be in the fucking team?

And the issue being, as rubbish has some of them have been, they haven't really had competition for their places due to the constant injury list.
That line jumped out at me too. They're already there, with contracts and responsibility to a club - manager, owner, fans and all.

I think we all agree this season (and arguably longer) has been a shambles, because of Power's methods.. Problem is, we can't do anything about it. It's all very well writing 'Power Out' on a forum or Facebook page but those doing so don't seem to realise that it's not I'm a Celebrity - we can't just vote the owner out.

I agree with this to an extent. The forwards brought in were never going to be adequate replacements for Ajose. Obika is always going to miss as many games as he plays due to injury and then we're left with nobody capable of hitting the net. Defensively, we've been very unfortunate with injuries. The strongest defence for me would have been Thompson, Jones and Sendles-White. BOO has been rubbish, Brophy hit and miss (this breathing difficulties thing is obviously an issue that's impacting on his ability to play).  The midfield has chopped and changed so much, it's ridiculous. We've missed Doughty tremendously.

However, I also don't think Williams is the right man for the job. He hasn't been able to address many of the longer term issues (defensive frailties etc), seemingly struggles to motivate the team and doesn't seem able to change our tactics.  I think we'd be doing better with a stronger manager, but I still don't think we'd be pushing at the top of table.  Herein lies the problem if Power wants rid of us, as he's unlikely to find a buyer unless we're championship contenders.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: Saturday, October 29, 2016, 18:19:23 »

You haven't answered my question, if not Power what is the option? Scunny are funded by a sugar daddy owner so poor example.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: Saturday, October 29, 2016, 18:23:40 »

We've averaged about the same for years prior to Powers arrival so not sure how you can pin that on him. In fact, they were worse at one point
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: Saturday, October 29, 2016, 18:26:15 »

We've averaged about the same for years prior to Powers arrival so not sure how you can pin that on him. In fact, they were worse at one point
Exactly. In the Fitton era we couldn't even shift 6k season tickets with the prospect of them only costing £150.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 ... 19   Go Up
Print
Jump to: