Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 ... 40   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Walking Dead *SPOILERS*  (Read 171997 times)
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #210 on: Monday, November 13, 2017, 20:52:09 »

www.walkindeadharalson.com

This is just up the road from me, claiming to be family friendly!  Looks fun, you lot are nuts.

This is one of the reason's that if I was asked to move to america for a job then this would have to make up part of my remuneration (3 visits per year min.)  Yes RobertT, i'm nuts!

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #211 on: Monday, November 13, 2017, 23:08:36 »

Well, looks like this season is going to be one that gets increasingly better. S8 E4 was back on form. I'll not burden you with a review yet (i'm a cunt but not that much of one), I'll wait till later tonight/tomorrow so those that watch have had a chance to watch it. Where E1 was okay and E2 was bloody annoying. E3 got a bit better and now E4 was much better. Let's hope this trend continues and we get the show a bit more on track.

Talking of "flash forwards" you guys do know what is planned for S9 don't you?

Enjoy tonight's episode. I think most of you will enjoy this one.
It’s a spoiler thread, people who read it before watching know the consequences.
I enjoyed 8x4. Who was the dude who looked like he’d just come off the set of The Walton’s :-).
Poor sheeva/sheeba too.
Looks like it’s finally going to get to the nitty gritty next week.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #212 on: Monday, November 13, 2017, 23:59:18 »

It’s a spoiler thread, people who read it before watching know the consequences.
I enjoyed 8x4. Who was the dude who looked like he’d just come off the set of The Walton’s :-).
Poor sheeva/sheeba too.
Looks like it’s finally going to get to the nitty gritty next week.

Haha ruthless. I'd at least let them watch the advertised uk version first Smiley

'Incessant Nonsense'

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #213 on: Tuesday, November 14, 2017, 07:15:31 »

was pretty good, didn't care much for the flashbacks but hey.

so the pieces are falling into place. particularly the guns, and maybe if the truck driver is still alive Intel too. maybe there is a rat and they'll be outed - more likely he'll know there is a rat but not who it is.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #214 on: Tuesday, November 14, 2017, 17:32:20 »

A little more on the ball this week having watched the US version sometime Monday morning and then had a second look when the UK version aired at 9pm. I'll probably watch this one again as I want to look at some details which may give us some clues for potential long term answers. I'll talk about that later, if you can stomach it.

S8E4: Some Guy

Well, in a nutshell i'd say that was some way of a return to the kind of TWD form we've been used to in previous seasons. It wasn't the all out best ever episode granted, however it was a good episode and much better than E2 (I think we can all put that down as my most infuriating episode in the whole seasons of TWD to date). This kind of episode is the type which makes a good season, well...good or even great. 

The main focus for this episode was on King Ezekiel, who up until now I really could not warm to. In part this has been due to lack of character development. We know he's putting on an act and we know a loose background of him working in theatre. Now I know not everyone cares for character development but if we are truly going to give a damn about the character or believe that they are real we have to see the real them (a bit like when the Governor was broken after his first attempt to attack the Prison. We then saw him at rock bottom, almost like the man he may have been before the apocalypse, only to see him rise again.). In this episode we finally got that, with pretty much two thirds of the episode dedicated to King Ez.

This was better than filler in my opinion and the only slight tickle was, "Rick & Daryl" becoming "Jason Bourne & Hitman" respectively. As well as Carol somehow managing to trick some of The Saviours that she was only carrying a handgun, when she'd previously followed and shot at them with a machine gun. Ok i'm being picky. The "Starsky & Hutch" moment was a bit of fun and Carol's ploy was fairly clever. I mean come on, most bad guys henchmen are pretty dim, just look at the James Bond villains henchmen!

I'll now expand on the episode in more detail, so skip this bit if you can't be arsed.

We open with King Ezekiel pretty much getting into character and straightaway we begin to realise him as "just some guy", who has undoubtedly taken on the difficult role of trying to instill hope into the people of which we call The Kingdom. It mirrors his theatrical past quite literally with the open dressing room scene and getting "ready" in front of a mirror. He gives the rousing, usual speech and at this point I almost tut and think "here we go again". This isn't because I'd forgotten that his force were gunned down at the end of E3, but I mistakenly think "how the fuck did they all manage to survive a chain gun attack?".

Oh no, it then cuts, as I should've guessed to present day and the aftermath of the Kingdom fighter massacre. A scene that pans over bullet wounds, Kingdommer guts, and limbs strewn across the Saviour outpost. A searching bloodied hand emerges from a pile of bodies and a distraught King Ez slowly pulls himself free. The realisation that (at this point) all his soldiers are dead and he has an injured leg as he terrifyingly scrambles away while his own soldiers start to turn. The King then has a moment of help, albeit brief, from a surviving soldier (I can't even recall his name, that's bad for me) whom we've never really met before. This is short lived  as a Saviour (revealed as Gunther on TTD), shoots Kingdom Soldier #73 in the back. A perfect cameo here from actor Whitmer Thomas, who may well have been an estranged psycho before the apocalypse. I'm not the first to say this by any stretch but a perfect Jeffrey Dahmer-a-like. Gunther taunts King Ez and basically tells him he's worthless while dragging him at gunpoint, towards the intended Saviour outpost (where Carol is staking out). They reach the outpost gateway and it's locked. Gunther, panicking decides he'll jump the gate and take King Ez's head on a stake for Negan (nice bloke). He's just about to kill the King in true medieval style, with King Ez's very own sword. Enter stage right an onrushing, enraged Jerry (no one's stopping an onrushing Jerry) who protects his King with a brutal knife through butter slicing of Gunther, in half with his axe. Nice work Jerry. Jerry and Ezekiel then continue to hold back a horde of Walkers while also trying to chop the chain from the gate.

During this we switch to Carol who (seeing red mist) has made it into the Saviour outpost, where the guys with the chain gun and other arms were shooting from. She cleverly hides in the ceiling as they're packing the guns away and shoots down five of them with a machine gun (AK-Whatever) as they start to leave. Carol must think she's got them all as she emerges from the ceiling but her gunshots must've alerted a few more that were there as then she has to take out another five. They give chase but one says let her go.

Later she's double backed them and they're loading the arms onto a Jeep as she scopes them out. Carol chances it running behind another vehicle. They unleash hell on her and this is the point where she slides her handgun under the vehicle and attempts to break a peace deal with them. Carol has spotted the button for opening a compound gate, which has a horde of Walkers behind. She "surrenders" and one of The Saviours approaches her. She quickly gets him at knifepoint as just as he's distracted by her machine gun hanging on the  wing mirror. Events unfold pretty rapidly, she disposes of her hostage, grabs his keys, presses the gate button, and fires back at two other Saviours as they get mauled by Walkers. The other two Saviours shoot down the Walkers but flee behind their Jeep. It's then (while still negotiating) that Carol spots King Ez & Jerry fending off some Walkers at the gate. She goes to aid them and unlocks the gate with said keys. The remaining Saviours take this as their chance to get away and take their arms back to the Sanctuary. King Ez tells Carol "they're getting away with the guns". We hear the sound of Daryls motorbike in the distance and Carol smiles saying "no they're not" or similar. We then cut to...

Daryl & Rick giving chase as the remaining Saviours flee. Rick in a Jeep and Daryl on his trademark bike. Rick is under fire from the mounted chain gun on the back of the Saviour Jeep but Daryl got a hit at him, so the  Saviour struggles to maintain a good shot (yes this part is pretty unrealistic as you'd think a mounted chain gun would take out at least the tyres on Ric's Jeep if not Rick himself). Daryl loses i and slides of the road, while Rick continues to give chase. Daryl amazingly appears pretty much injury free and manages to take out the Saviour gunner. Rick gets level with the Saviour Jeep and manages to jump aboard, knife the Saviour in the side, overthrow him, and kick him out the Jeep. Ultimately this sends Rick through a barrier and crashing down a grass verge. Daryl catches up and goes to check out the state of Rick. Rick must've bailed as the Jeep went down the verge because he emerges from the downslope of the verge and both he and Daryl then agree to check out the Jeep to collect the guns.

Carol, King Ez & Jerry have left the Saviour compound and making their way back to the Kingdom through some woods. Reflecting and thinking about Shiva, Ezekiel realises his true worth and tell Carol and Jerry to go on without him as he is holding them up. They fight of some more Walkers and end up having to cross a waste discharge outlet that has pooled there with what we can only tell from a drum is a "Dangerous Substance". We get a great scene of what I call "Well Walkers" (think S3 where Glenn is sent down a well on a rope to check some water and finds a really disgusting looking Walker), who almost are too much for our survivors. Ezekiel again says he'll sacrifice so Carol and Jerry can survive. It's here he's truly broken as Jerry says "I can't leave you, my King." and Ez responds "I am not your King, i'm just some guy!" It's a true reveal of friendship and reality of who this real "King" really is. In that moment, Shiva saves the three of them and overthrows a few Walkers but alas, they are too much for the potentially malnourished Bengal Tiger (i'm aware she's had meals of Saviours and Scavengers of late but I can't imagine her diet too sustainable in this apocalypse so it's valid she would be more lethargic). Shiva comes to her impending fate as Ezekiel helplessly watches on.

The final scene ends similarly as it began but with a contrasting and truly broken Ezekiel. They enter the gates of The Kingdom, defeated and deflated, with no Shiva in tow and it's clear to the Kingdom family that this is such. Even "Master Henry" who Ezekiel gave so much hope to in his rousing speech, is ignored as Ezekiel limps through the crowd back to his quarters.

Ok, so that's most of the bones of the episode. I enjoyed this more than the previous three and there were some really interesting moments. For once it told a story and gave an insight into one of the main characters. It's managed to turn my opinion around of Ezekiel, especially how his character builds from this moment on. Maybe I was too quick to judge the character before and should've understood the the facade that he was playing to his Kingdom. Looking at it now, as annoying as his persona was I now see it better. It's taken me, for him to become a broken man though to actually see that. I think we may see a similar character development with Negan next episode S8:E5 The Big Scary U.

There were a few pointers in this episode or as they like to call "foreshadowing" which got me thinking a little more. First off have any of you noticed how more of the Walkers seem to have a fair amount of their skin pulled off (like the one Ezekiel and crew encountered in the woods a couple episodes back). This could just be their state of decay as not all of them are going to be exactly ermm....fresh, but if you have any interest in the graphic novels/comics then this could be pointing towards the arrival of another group in the near future and they're pretty fucking gruesome. I'll leave that one with you. Another foreshadow is with Rick. In the comics Rick has wait for it lost his right hand. We've been constantly teased this in the TV show through a fair few seasons. In fact right at the beginning when Merle (S1:E3) cut himself free from the rooftop by sawing through his own hand (although i'm not sure how far on the comic was at that point). I thought he was going to lose it sometime during S4 when he and Carl had fled the Prison and were on the road. We've had Negan forcing Rick to cut off Carl's hand, and now more recently crashing the Jeep down the hill could've been a way to do it then. It may not happen in the TV show but I think if it did it could be another big moment for the character which could send him over the edge.

My final future pointer here is to way further down the line (it's not even part of the comics, so it's just a theory really) but it could be an indicator as to how all this apocalypse started. As Dr Jenner (S1:E6) told Rick at the CDC that everyone is infected, something Rick tells his fellow survivors this secret later on (at the end of S2 I think). The indicator for me is in this latest episode. In the waste discharge pool/ditch there is the large drum which has the label "DANGEROUS SUBSTANCE" on it. Is this an indicator to some kind of high level contamination to the water, via these drums possibly illegally released/dumped by the Government? If so i'd like, once all the warring is over, maybe this discovery/possibility come to light and then our survivors to go on a hunt to find out the source of this. Possibly discovering a facility where government officials are holed up and taking it to them with a new combined set of allies in the Saviours.

Will that happen? I don't know, it'd be a good arc and a new direction for the show. They can't keep focussing on waging war, peacetime and then a new war again, surely otherwise it'll fall on it's face. It is a victim of it's successful past though. A storyline like this could breathe even better life in to it. Whichever way you look at it though that story arc would be the beginning of the end. Maybe it will start focussing on something like that though in another seasons time. Survival is the first priority obviously but there would still be the underpinning curiosity of three main issues; How did it start? How do we contain it? Can we produce a cure? So a focus must go to that branch at some point.

Anyway, I've said my piece now, I think it was certainly a better episode for S8 so far and I hope we get a similar kind of character development with Negan in E5. Hope you guys enjoyed it. Give me your added theories and thoughts about the episode and opinion on my theory surrounding the oil drum. As always I await all your unnerving criticism and maybe even a slight hint of praise. Thanks for reading/viewing/listening See you same time next week.

Cheers,

Bamboo Smiley

'Incessant Nonsense'

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #215 on: Tuesday, November 14, 2017, 20:29:01 »

Nice one Bamboo, enjoy reading your thoughts on the episode and ideas for where its going.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #216 on: Wednesday, November 15, 2017, 15:01:45 »

Nice one Bamboo, enjoy reading your thoughts on the episode and ideas for where its going.

Cheers man.  Should've proof read that piece properly though, as there are a ton of typos (extra "the", "and" instead of "an", etc. oh well).  I definitely think there is scope to create some interesting developments further down the line. I'm not even a published writer, so if I can come up with future plots (good or bad) then their creative writing team must be able to. Especially when the TV Show catches up with the source material because then we'll see how creative the writers down at AMC really are. I'm confident Scott Gimple can deliver on this. He has written some key episodes that really made us feel the character.

'Incessant Nonsense'

Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #217 on: Friday, November 17, 2017, 15:50:13 »

Good to read your ramblings every week Bamboo.

Just one point on Rick's arm.  After watching Talking Dead this week, Robert Kirkman indicated that he regretted Rick losing his arm in the comic books.  He admitted that he liked the TV story better than the comic in this aspect.

Also bear in mind that to have a limb missing for Rick would take up some considerable budget for the special effects bearing in mind he is in a lot of episodes.  I don't think they will lose his arm until possibly right at the end of the series, towards the crescendo let's say..

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #218 on: Wednesday, November 22, 2017, 10:24:39 »

Not sure about this episode, seems to be a lot of filler again, after all, its been 3 weeks since the "shit your pants" episode.
Nothing really much happened to be honest, Negan and Gabriel escaped and judging by the last scene Gabriel didn't make it out unscathed. It looks like he was bitten during the escape.

The Rick/Darryl bits i found a bit cringe worthy to be honest.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #219 on: Wednesday, November 22, 2017, 16:43:59 »

thought it was one of the better ones this series. that isn't overly complimentary.

shame panto villan Negan came back at the end
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #220 on: Thursday, November 23, 2017, 11:04:53 »

thought it was one of the better ones this series. that isn't overly complimentary.

shame panto villan Negan came back at the end
I think he'll be around for some time yet.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #221 on: Thursday, November 23, 2017, 12:17:35 »

Will plop a review on a little later. Short form though...I thought the inside story they touched on Negan was good. It's a far cry from "Have you got your shitting pants on?" which was strange as they were the last words Negan said to Gabriel. Had a new found respect for Father Gabe's character role and looked creepy as he said "I've come to take your confession". Episode's of any series episode which focuses mainly on just one or two characters is always difficult to ask of. I think (when they were in the Portakabin) they got this about right and JDM did deliver a believable angst and genuine sorrow for losing his wife. Especially with not being able to let go.

I'll expand (ohh I can feel the shudders of disbelief) on the above and more in the joy that is, my in depth and ever so complex review of S8:E5: The Big Scary U. Also more questions to be posed which I'd really love to hear your thoughts on. The season is building, it's not the best by a long shot but it's improving as it goes on in my opinion.

Laters guys.

'Incessant Nonsense'

Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #222 on: Thursday, November 23, 2017, 13:20:54 »

Will plop a review on a little later. Short form though...I thought the inside story they touched on Negan was good. It's a far cry from "Have you got your shitting pants on?" which was strange as they were the last words Negan said to Gabriel. Had a new found respect for Father Gabe's character role and looked creepy as he said "I've come to take your confession". Episode's of any series episode which focuses mainly on just one or two characters is always difficult to ask of. I think (when they were in the Portakabin) they got this about right and JDM did deliver a believable angst and genuine sorrow for losing his wife. Especially with not being able to let go.

I'll expand (ohh I can feel the shudders of disbelief) on the above and more in the joy that is, my in depth and ever so complex review of S8:E5: The Big Scary U. Also more questions to be posed which I'd really love to hear your thoughts on. The season is building, it's not the best by a long shot but it's improving as it goes on in my opinion.

Laters guys.

What i'm struggling with with TWD is trying to separate the seasons. When discussing TV shows you can almost always say "oh, season 1 and 2 were good" or "season 3 was shit" I can pretty much remember the whole story from day 1 but i'm struggling to put it in any kind of order which is annoying me.

Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #223 on: Tuesday, November 28, 2017, 08:58:52 »

I think im the only one still watching it. Bamboo couldnt even bring himself to do a write on on last week.

I quite enjoyed last nights episode. Its starting to ramp up a bit. Loved the rocket launcher scene.

So a few of the gang have gone rogue and want to end it now rather than going with Ricks plan, seeing as we are still quite early on in the season it will either got tits up or they will back out at the last minute.

Mean while Rick has his hands full with the scrapyard people. I really do no understand this group. Why are they so weird?

I'll leave a full write up to bamboo but its slowly getting there.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #224 on: Tuesday, November 28, 2017, 09:47:37 »

favourite episode for a long while. didn't really want it to end and it's been ages since I've felt like that.

they got a good blend of action, characterisation and plot development this week.

yippee.

the rocket launcher was ace!

the only thing I didn't like was the happy coincidence of Darryl and the van crash... they are getting really lucky with that and stopping the gun truck the other day
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 ... 40   Go Up
Print
Jump to: