Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 ... 40   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Walking Dead *SPOILERS*  (Read 171472 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #330 on: Wednesday, October 24, 2018, 12:02:09 »

I assumed they just meant kill him
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #331 on: Wednesday, October 24, 2018, 18:23:48 »

Just read back after being away for a few weeks and watched the last 2 episodes together, along with the talking dead.

Definitely confirmed that the next 2 episodes are Rick's last (confirmed in the Talking Dead)

My stand on A and B is:
A = A leader, and person of great use (potentially to help lead the regeneration and rebuilding of mankind?)
B = A Sheep, a follower, and complicite person that will follow orders and help do the manual rebuild.

One last thing that immediately came to mind after the first episode and the new opening credits - does anyone else take my stance that the storyline is very much going down the War of the Worlds route with the birds?  That is the first thing that came to my mind after seeing it, and take note every episode there seems to be a cutscene were a flock of birds (specifically crows) flies up from the trees.  The opening credits seem to suggest that a tree without leaves bursts into green life when the birds fly up.  I might be wrong, but it seems quite obvious to me..

The new season is refreshing so far, hopefully it continues.  Maggie is definitely being setup to be Rick's replacement, and after the mention this week about the record collector and her two twins, along with the return of the helicopter people, I hope it goes more down that route rather than focussing on an "in" war amongst the groups..  I think we have been there too many times.  As a backstory fair enough, but not the main topic, it needs to branch out and focus on the bigger picture.  This would also give them a chance to start linking TWD and FTWD storylines more closely also.

I know they are his last but there is still something that says to me that he'll be back in some capacity. Reason being and this isn't the writers fault but why would they market the season based on one big fat spoiler, aka "Rick Grimes' Final Episodes"? Yeah leaks happen all the time in shows and more so with an extra or someone releasing a snap. They could've just said nothing and let speculation grow. They didn't need to confirm the departure of an actor, that has ran the lead role for 8.33 seasons. It just seems bizarre marketing. Likely as well many won't tune in until S9E5 because of this and they will have missed some good episodes. Episodes that may have increased their viewers. It's what seasons are backed upon. Anyway they've gone with that angle so, whatever.

Good pointers on the A/B theories. I think we all have a similar line of thought on this but with our own twists. A = Leader/Intelligent/Useful (Negan/Rick/Maggie), B = To follow command. That's why Jadis had Negan on the trolley at the Scrapheap towards end of S8, while signalling/awaiting contact with the helicopter *flares*. This is why I think she'll trade/sacrifice Rick to ensure her freedom. Fthr Gabriel is a B but he's not a muggy one. There's definitely a much bigger picture building in all this and I do love the development of Jadis/Anne.

On the credits part as I pointed out before they have always foreshadowed the characters outcomes or links to things so I'd say watch the opening credits and look at what accompanies each main actor. There's usually stuff to be extracted there. Like previously, Alanna Masterson (Tara) and the boat implied Oceanside. Jeffrey Dean Morgan (Negan) and the iron revealed one of his torture techniques. If you can stomach me going back through largely what I can remember and some I will have to confirm but I believe the 'Crows' have been present in every sequence change of opening credits. Let's take a look back and pick out some key foreshadows and confirm those crows;

Go to the bottom if you want a quicker answer Wink

S1 = Not much to foreshadow but the 'Little Girl' Teddy Bear makes an appearance, Dale's RV and a shot of a building with Steven Yeun titled alongside (Rick encountered Glenn via radio in the Tank but Glenn was on a rooftop in Atlanta).

Counting Crows = Two. On the road pecking away at a dead animal corpse.

S2 = No change, just the addition of Norman Reedus (Daryl) to the titles and the odd Producer

Counting Crows = Two. As above.

S3 = Change of Titles. Danai Gurira added. Foreshadowing of Morgan's location during his "Clear" cameo in S3. Steven Yeun credit appears next to Hershel's pocket watch, which he later inherits and of course the Prison is shown.

Counting Crows = Several fly in the background at the very opening of the titles. Blink and you miss them.

S4 = Same titles as S3 with a few changes. Scott Wilson (Hershel) and Melissa McBride (Carol) added. Lauren Cohan credit appears next to a large leafy tree (see below). We also see a Bone saw which foreshadows the Terminus Cannibals.

Counting Crows = Blink as much as you like. In the large leafy tree that appears next to Lauren Cohan credit, a huge bunch of them fly out of it, possibly 100 of them.

S5 = Title Change. Centred on capture but with similar reference to previous vignettes. There's homage to 'Brian Heriot' The Governor's alter ego when he befriended Tara's family. In about 10-20 frames it says "Brian Heriot we love you. Brian Heriot do not go home." and crossed out words behind. There is Ricks bag of weapons that he concealed in S4. We get minor foreshadowing of the Cannibals Cult revelation with melted bloody church candles and also the route map to DC that Abraham gives to Rick.

Counting Crows = Two putrefied trees adorned with corvids. About 25.

S6 = No changes. Just rearrangement and promotion of actors to title credits. A pointer that Glenn's Pocket watch has featured since and could well have been a foreshadow for borrowed time?

Counting Crows = As S5.

S7 = While retaining much of S6 it adds now recogniseable and prominent foreshadows in Tara's Oceanside boat and beach, Eugene's Ammunition Foundry, Rosita's lookout (to sniper Negan from), and of course Negan's 'Lucille' and the iron in the furnace. All actors titles compliment each vignette. It's the first time we have significant items pointing to story direction.

Counting Crows = The same crow sequence that appears as in S5&6.

S8 = Again largely the same but with fill ins. Michonne gets her Katana featured and it has a biohazard symbol etched on it...Fthr Gabe has a sewer extract point so that could foreshadow maybe his escape from Jadis in S9 (pure guess) it could just be foreshadowing Carl's heroic move to sending the Alexandrians down to the sewers before he dies. We have Aaron feature on the titles with a burnt out car and dilapidated house.

Counting Crows = As S5,S6&7.

S9 = Title change after four seasons of mostly the same vignettes we get a refreshed and more animated look. After the crows which dominate the first part and subsequently fly away, we get a skull with a garden fork surrounded by blossom/orchid pierced through it and Daryl's bow with three arrows. Helicopter cuts through (Jadis link) and reveals two silhouetted characters on horseback who look like Rick & Michonne. That falls back to reveal graves in a forest, some basic, some headstones (unidentified but could point to obvious later key deaths). Michonne's Katana is present too. Ross Marquand's name (Aaron) then appears under Rick's/Coral's Sheriff hat on a gate and accompanied by a walker. It then reveals a walled ruin of some kind. Keep with me...It backs under the entrance to Alexandria and we have Rick's .45 Calibre and Negan's Lucille laid atop of each other. The words "Final Warning" (We saw this in S9E3 I think and the Oceanside girl...Cyndie mentions it I think) are inscribed on the internal walls of Alexandria and appear in the background. That's followed by Daryl's motorbike and a merge into Hilltop. The rebuilding of building and then a noose dangles down (a la Gregory's execution). This cuts away so a shabby looking windmill, over a bridge surrounded by trees. It suddenly lights up from the windows and doors and then we're flooded with crows. They clear and it cuts back to the 'Walker' from the ruins but on what looks like open moorland and a chunk of walkers in the background. The camera/animation orbits the walker 180 degrees, where we end up behind it and facing the Windmill from distance. We pan away from the staggering Walker and come out through the 'N' of the now overgrown 'THE WALKING DEAD' title.

Counting Crows = Bloody loads of them Smiley

Phew! Apologies Berni Wink

As for linking/crossing/merging with FTWD, yep that could well happen. FTWD timeline is nearly in line with TWD timeline now. It's possible or my thoughts that TWDS9 Finale could merge with FTWDS5 Premiere (similar to TWDS8 Finale linked Morgan straight into FTWDS4 Premiere).

Any way I'm done.

As for the corvids. Yep they've featured in every opening credits so that could be the long running link. Well maybe an international link and that could be how the TWD world explores further. This is prevalent in many zombie flicks, as you mention WOTW, 28 Days Later, and many others. A side note though; Corvids our symbolic of death and in film of course we see them in the classic Hitchcock film. A group of crows is known as a "Murder of crows" so it could just be a nod to that and considering the show is largely focused around the dead.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #332 on: Monday, October 29, 2018, 22:40:46 »

back to being shit this week.

going to bin it after Rick goes. I'll record it and maybe watch it later if I can be bothered
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #333 on: Tuesday, October 30, 2018, 01:21:17 »

Didn't think it was shit but it seemed to drag a little, in what was mainly three scenes taking up the episode without getting properly started. Chiefly; Michonne's struggle to live a lie, Daryl & Rick fall out, and Michonne/Negan prison chat.

I thought Negan's parts were good, considering it's quite tough to play a solo role from a cell (Anthony Hopkins managed this, albeit in a film with just over 15mins of screen time and bagging an Oscar to boot). Takes a special kind of actor to pull it off.

Daryl & Rick in parts were similar to S8, where they became Starsky & Hutch but in the 'pit' they both acted believably and emotionally. I think it showed through that these were likely the last scenes they were filming together. Likewise, briefly with Carol. Literal on screen 'goodbyes'.

Michonne's struggle was largely taken up with a dream/nightmare, dark/light, good/bad. Although it was a good side arc, it just seemed like bad timing and took away from the Maggie story. That should have been the main focus but it got muddied away, even if the scene plots linked together. My concern was it seemed to be taking some time for Maggie to get to Alexandria when all the other pieces were falling into place.

Little bits that teased were; Jesus telling Maggie that Georgie had sent a message but she was disinterested. Of course she was focused on going to see Negan but it also implied (to me) that they have been in some kind of regular contact since.

Father Gabe and Jadis. What an odd couple?!  Wink I thought she was going to do away with him but it turns out she has feelings for him still. This pissed me off. After the developments of her character in the last couple episodes, all of that just dissipated in a short amount of screen time and she's just gone. It still leaves us with questions to be answered but I genuinely thought they were building her part up more. Maybe they will revisit that, AR (After Rick).

So what of Rick?...Ok well it's TWD so someone is bound to come along, lift him off and get him to a field hospital in the last minutes...surely? Even if they do he's supper for certain. I just hope that next episode they do Andrew Lincoln and Rick Grimes justice. I also hope they don't allow the season to then plod in mourning over Rick. One or one half an episode maybe but I hope something huge happens that doesn't give them chance to and they have to act. That's no disrespect to Rick but in order for the show to be sure they've made the right call, they will need something to push the viewers and cast on in a different direction.

Just a short one for me, for now. Likely I'll annoy you with some more over the next couple of days. I'll finish up by noting these 'Easter Eggs' during the episode;

Michonne - During the 'dream montage' she is mesmerised by a hanging Walker, which throws back to her introduction on the show in S3 about the backstory of her partner and race issues relating to her heritage. This is why she is almost in trance and we're unsure if she is in real time or actually dreaming. It's a good call

Carol and the Saviour - Was homage to her former abusive husband Ed in S1, with the line "weak little woman"

Rick and Daryl - As Rick offers his hand to pull Daryl out he says "Take my hand Brother". This is from S2 when Daryl fell down an embankment, got knocked unconscious and when he comes round he hallucinates and see's Merle who teases him and says "come on little Brother, grab my hand."

'Incessant Nonsense'

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #334 on: Tuesday, October 30, 2018, 08:50:50 »

Rick I think will be taken off by the helicopter people to be saved.

I'm completely underwhelmed by the buildup to his exit so far.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, October 30, 2018, 08:54:49 by Batch » Logged
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #335 on: Tuesday, October 30, 2018, 17:48:25 »

Rick I think will be taken off by the helicopter people to be saved.

I'm completely underwhelmed by the buildup to his exit so far.

I have a feeling something like the helicopter (+some other combo) will take Rick also. If you've seen the S9E5 Preview then you will already know so much and be able to piece some together. FWIW the E5 preview actually looks like it will be a really good episode. Not dissimilar to the S7E2 episode in the aftermath of Negan's 'Lucille Wrath'. Where it was Rick centric and we were given a convincing showing of a fully broken Rick. It was the one with the infamous "Now bring me my axe!" line. Where Negan chucks the axe (which is actually Rick's axe) onto the roof of the RV. Hopefully we'll get an episode of that kind of level.

It's understanding that most people aren't overwhelmed by the build-up. Probably has something to with being told since the start of S9 that it is, "Rick Grimes' Final Episodes". Maybe it will make for a more interesting E5?

I have a feeling you won't bin it off after. Although now I've said that, you'll more likely will do! Of course there's nothing to stop you Wink

'Incessant Nonsense'

Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #336 on: Tuesday, October 30, 2018, 23:30:46 »

The more I watch it the more I’m convinced they will not kill rick off. I will be mega pissed if this is the case.
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #337 on: Monday, November 5, 2018, 22:45:39 »

I fucking hate this show.

I was ready to come on here and say I’m done with this show, then the last 2 minutes sucks me back in. Ffs.

I didnt enjoy the episode because it was clear that they wouldn’t kill off rick.
Ever since the backlash of negan bashing the skulls of Glenn and abe, with fans claiming get it was too grousome, the writers have lost all their bottle with pushing the boundaries.

There are too many questions with the teaser for next week and it’s late. Somehow, as much as I despise this program it’s managed to keep me hooked. Go figure.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #338 on: Tuesday, November 6, 2018, 07:00:21 »

well, the Rick exit went as expected. not too badly done after last week's poor effort.

really annoyed Maggie wussed out.

How much of a time jump was that at the end? several years at least.

lastly there is some major spoiler news out there regarding Rick Grimes. Does anyone want it posted in here? you may have seen it already (I'm sure bamboo will have!)
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #339 on: Tuesday, November 6, 2018, 07:35:53 »

The time hop was several years atleast. I hope it’s not going to be back and forth for the rest of the season.
I’ll give this season till the end as I want to see what happens but I’m finding myself watching because I want closure, not because I’m enjoying it.

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #340 on: Tuesday, November 6, 2018, 08:49:40 »

me too. wanting closure. was adamant 'this was it' for me.

but..
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #341 on: Tuesday, November 6, 2018, 09:31:26 »

The spoiler you mentioned above, i don't understand. Why would they/he want to do that?

So the helicopter, is that the last we see of it them? and Jadis?

The flash forward but i actually liked, but just cutting out 5 years or so would leave too many holes in the plot and questions and as i mentioned already, i don't want a constant back and forth.

For anyone who reads up on TWD (not the comics, just fan site) know that there is a new "group" making an appearance at some point. They have been mooted for the last 2 seasons but have yet to show their faces.

They have bee talking about this new direction for a long time and i think now is the time we will see some big changes in the leadership and plot.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #342 on: Tuesday, November 6, 2018, 09:33:10 »

the spoiler relates to Rick's fate, and won't been seen in twd as far as I know
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #343 on: Tuesday, November 6, 2018, 09:36:00 »

this link is a spoiler detailing Rick's fate to some extent. click at own risk

https://tinyurl.com/y9q6q2bb
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #344 on: Tuesday, November 6, 2018, 09:46:37 »

The time hop is 6 years.

Scott Gimple has confirmed that this was it for Rick's character in the Walking dead series in it's current guise, but they are making some feature length spin off movies that will cover certain characters (including Rick) back story, current and future timeline depending on where they are at the time in the WD universe.  Sounds a bit like how they have handled the Star Wars universe.

As much as I still enjoy the show, I am not sure if I have it in me to start trying to keep up with multiple aspects of one universe (a la Marvel).  As it is I have only watched one half an episode of FTWD, and the fact that these movies are being shown on AMC, so might not be available to watch without paying, this could push me away (unless a channel like Fox pay for the rights as they do with TWD).

Looking forward to the rebooted world and characters of TWD, but disapointed they didn't either kill him off, or follow a seperate story following Rick in a spin off series.  It would have been better than FTWD, which imo is just TWD in Texas or wherever they are supposed to be based.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 ... 40   Go Up
Print
Jump to: