Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Why is Britain so bigoted?  (Read 7067 times)
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Thursday, October 20, 2016, 15:25:56 »

That's very true.
England have qualified for major tournaments at Poland's expense maybe a couple of times at least since then.
I'm assuming that the success of 1966 would still have been very fresh in most people's minds at that time and Poland had done nothing on the international stage up until then, so at the time it was viewed as a big upset.
Brian Clough also didn't help with his comments during the Wembley game.
Wobbly Bob, do I know you, or your family? What's your surname? PM me if you prefer.
Don Rogers Sock

« Reply #31 on: Thursday, October 20, 2016, 15:27:02 »

This isn't fucking Tinder. Coming over here sticking to your own groups not mixing
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Thursday, October 20, 2016, 17:10:43 »

Wobbly Bob, do I know you, or your family? What's your surname? PM me if you prefer.
Wobblzycz Bobska
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Thursday, October 20, 2016, 18:39:53 »

So bigoted, as in more bigoted than other countries? Where exactly? Russia? America? France? Australia? The Middle East? South America? South Africa? I think in terms of tolerance I'd rank the UK reasonably highly on the table.

There are definitely thousands of people in this country who have some sort of misplaced anger towards immigrants because their own lives are shite. No doubt about that. But it can’t be any more than any other country.

What doesn't help matters and does seem to increase tensions in this country; is that there seems to be an army of pompous left wingers ready to demonise anyone who wants to publicly suggest that our immigration system is anything less than ideal. They instantly want to lump them in to a category with the Britain First/EDL ‘Pakis are the reason I’m unemployed’ morons. It makes the whole thing a very sensitive subject and raises tensions when people think they have a legitimate point and are being condescended too.

Remember the whole subject has more coverage than it normally would at the moment too because of the Brexit vote. I think one of the main reasons of the leave vote was because the EU has free movement of people and therefore fewer restrictions or track on who is coming in. The media know this and it’s a red rag to a bull for them to do whatever they can to feed in to this and create hysteria because it’s good for selling papers.

In reality though, it’s not that bad. Look at America for example. They currently have a reality TV star that has made it to essentially the final two in the race to win their presidency election and the majority of his campaign is fed off of fear of Muslims and building a wall to keep the Mexicans from out because people in the south of the U.S think they’re being taken over.  The UK is what, 10 times more densely populated than the U.S? More? How irrational is that!?
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Thursday, October 20, 2016, 19:31:14 »

England's defeat in Katowice in 73, has had a strange effect on the psyche of England followers......Poland's sole success in 19 games, yet they're perceived as some sort of Jonah team.

Yeah, but it was the beginning of the end for Sir Alf & Bobby Moore.

Also the draw at Wembley that effectively knocked us out of the World Cup.

Those memories somehow linger longer than Lineker's hat-trick in 86 & countless other thrashings that we have dished out since
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #35 on: Thursday, October 20, 2016, 20:06:38 »

In reality though, it’s not that bad. Look at America for example. They currently have a reality TV star that has made it to essentially the final two in the race to win their presidency election and the majority of his campaign is fed off of fear of Muslims and building a wall to keep the Mexicans from out because people in the south of the U.S think they’re being taken over.  The UK is what, 10 times more densely populated than the U.S? More? How irrational is that!?

Even more baffling considering every white American is descendent from European immigrants and the country was founded on immigration.
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Thursday, October 20, 2016, 20:12:30 »

Wobblzycz Bobska

Racist Wink

Top post above though ^. And I don't think asking the question "why is Britain so bigoted" immediately implies it's the most bigoted place ever. There are of course going to be worse examples. But that doesn't make concerns about us less valid.

The majority of the bigotry I see is just a kind of disillusionment. One of my posh friends from uni told me I should tell my (significantly more working class) friends they'd be worse off for voting for Brexit. I had to explain to him that privately educated people, who've never wanted for anything, telling them what to do while they're unemployed and struggling to make ends meet is not going to solve anything, and is part of why they voted that way in the first place.

You have to respect people's views might make you uncomfortable, you have to consider people's circumstances, you have to listen to them. If they don't you just develop an Us v Them mentality, which is where bigotry thrives.

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
Not that Nice If I'm Honest

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Thursday, October 20, 2016, 21:12:56 »

What is it these days why so many people love to knock their own country?

I think the British are, by and large, the most welcoming and tolerant of people.

I totally agree.

My nephew has to wait until his girlfriend's grandma dies before he can marry her because they are worried that she will get someone to kill them.
Because she's an Indian Hindu and he's a white Englishman.

Bigoted lot the English
Flashheart

« Reply #38 on: Friday, October 21, 2016, 07:54:17 »

What lies has Lineker supposed to have said about immigrants, and since when has the sun the truth anyway?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Friday, October 21, 2016, 08:10:45 »

I totally agree.

My nephew has to wait until his girlfriend's grandma dies before he can marry her because they are worried that she will get someone to kill them.
Because she's an Indian Hindu and he's a white Englishman.

Bigoted lot the English

Of course,something litle considered when asking "why is Britain so bigoted ?" is the historic ethnic and religious bigotry that immigrants bring with them and are unable to leave at the front door before often passing onto their kids.

This is further compounded by allowing the establishment of more and more "faith" schools.
« Last Edit: Friday, October 21, 2016, 08:12:31 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Friday, October 21, 2016, 08:28:29 »

the historic ethnic and religious bigotry that some immigrants bring with them and are unable to leave at the front door before often passing onto their kids.
Think you meant to say this Reg. There's some bigots in every group in society.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Friday, October 21, 2016, 08:41:25 »

Think you meant to say this Reg. There's some bigots in every group in society.

Fair enough, but the point still stands.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Friday, October 21, 2016, 15:16:46 »

Even more baffling considering every white American is descendent from European immigrants and the country was founded on immigration.

I've heard several white americans use the phrase "Eurotrash". What's that all about? 
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Friday, October 21, 2016, 15:26:12 »

I've heard several white americans use the phrase "Eurotrash". What's that all about? 

Antoine de Caunes and Jean-Paul Gaultier. + Mr Penguin and the late Lolo Ferrari  Sad
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Friday, October 21, 2016, 16:42:59 »

Eurotrash Girl by Cracker. If I wasn't on my phone, I'd attach a link to YouTube.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: