Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Is football shit  (Read 22991 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: Saturday, October 15, 2016, 20:30:02 »

If Mark Robinson can make the hall of fame then Fjortoft is most certainly a legend.

The Hall of Fame is a club thing, and so bound to be dodgy.

The problem with achieving legendary status is that it does require longevity. Hence Digby would be legend whereas Foderingham hero.

To show that it is rare for a player to be around long enough these days to get legendary status, Wes comes in at number 71 on the all time all games list.

The highest placed player who's career is entirely in the 21 st century comes in at  number 54......and may surprise some people......Daisy Duke  Smiley
« Last Edit: Saturday, October 15, 2016, 20:39:45 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Saturday, October 15, 2016, 20:39:52 »

The Hall of Fame is a club thing, and so bound to be dodgy.

The problem with achieving legendary status is that it does require longevity. Hence Digby would be legend whereas Foderingham hero.

I didn't really mean that re. Mark Robinson, I know his inclusion wasn't a fan opinion.

I think for fans in my age group will have no choice but to consider players such as Fjortoft as legends, we will also have Shaun Taylor, as you say Digby, you could argue that Summerbee Jnr. and Moncur would be in there too.  Moncur was fans' player of the year in our only season in the top flight, Hoddle was outrageous the season previous.

I think out of the triumvirate of Parkin, Cox and Austin I'd consider Parkin as as close to legend as possible, the other two not far behind.  I may have been a fraction too late to the party for big Dunc so I can't really comment where he's concerned.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: Saturday, October 15, 2016, 20:39:56 »

Hmm, I'm not even sure Fods would go down as a hero personally, in fact, very few could claim that status in the past 20 years, if any.  Austin, Cox and then I am struggling.  Luongo probably deservees something for being the most expensive player we have sold, but given transfer fee inflation, was his fee worth more than £1.5m for Horlock?

edit: Parkin probably a hero, forgot him!
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Saturday, October 15, 2016, 20:42:52 »

Yes

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: Saturday, October 15, 2016, 20:43:01 »

Does SSP actually work for BBC Wilts now?

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Saturday, October 15, 2016, 20:46:35 »

I didn't really mean that re. Mark Robinson, I know his inclusion wasn't a fan opinion.

I think for fans in my age group will have no choice but to consider players such as Fjortoft as legends, we will also have Shaun Taylor, as you say Digby, you could argue that Summerbee Jnr. and Moncur would be in there too.  Moncur was fans' player of the year in our only season in the top flight, Hoddle was outrageous the season previous.

I think out of the triumvirate of Parkin, Cox and Austin I'd consider Parkin as as close to legend as possible, the other two not far behind.  I may have been a fraction too late to the party for big Dunc so I can't really comment where he's concerned.

Time can help with legendary status...there's certainly none alive now who saw Harold Fleming, but I've always regarded him as a legend, in much the same way as Jock Walker, who I never saw play but used to chat to in his chip shop. Harry Morris, you just need to look at the numbers....legend.
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: Saturday, October 15, 2016, 20:51:01 »

Time can help with legendary status...there's certainly none alive now who saw Harold Fleming, but I've always regarded him as a legend, in much the same way as Jock Walker, who I never saw play but used to chat to in his chip shop. Harry Morris, you just need to look at the numbers....legend.

That cannot be argued obviously.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Saturday, October 15, 2016, 21:25:44 »

Parkin is definitely up there for me, three superb seasons and has subsequently returned to the club albeit in an unofficial capacity. Clearly cares about the club.

Fjortoft also follows our results but seems to do so for every club he played for, Boro fans love him as well.
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: Saturday, October 15, 2016, 21:30:31 »

Parkin is definitely up there for me, three superb seasons and has subsequently returned to the club albeit in an unofficial capacity. Clearly cares about the club.

Fjortoft also follows our results but seems to do so for every club he played for, Boro fans love him as well.

men som ville elsker en norsk?

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: Saturday, October 15, 2016, 21:42:38 »

Parkin also gets credit for signing a new contract, so when we sold him he still had a lengthy contract and therefore was worth more ££££
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: Saturday, October 15, 2016, 23:25:33 »

I always enjoy this type of debate. Fods is one of the best we've ever had. Not as good as Digby, older fans than me will tell me he's not as good as Downsborough, which I can believe. But I think he's surely top five in our history.

I loved Jan, really loved Jan, but he's not legend status for me. That's breathing rarified air. I would keep the status of legend for very few players. Colin Calderwood can breathe the rarified air easily. I would say a legend is someone that we don't need debate. He just is, and we all know it.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: Saturday, October 15, 2016, 23:43:22 »

Pint
Does SSP actually work for BBC Wilts now?

Has done for around a year, works for Chelsea TV too
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: Sunday, October 16, 2016, 09:03:58 »

I always enjoy this type of debate. Fods is one of the best we've ever had. Not as good as Digby, older fans than me will tell me he's not as good as Downsborough, which I can believe. But I think he's surely top five in our history.

I loved Jan, really loved Jan, but he's not legend status for me. That's breathing rarified air. I would keep the status of legend for very few players. Colin Calderwood can breathe the rarified air easily. I would say a legend is someone that we don't need debate. He just is, and we all know it.

I'm not sure about Calderwood.
Captain the same side in all four divisions then yes a club legend.
Still feel a sense of disappointment from when he jumped ship before the start of the PL season. So for me, he's very near the top of the pile in terms of club greats but just falls short of legend status.

There are probably 4 or 5 that would fall into the true legend category e.g. Flemming, Morris, Owen, Rogers & Trollope.
Going on length of service, statistics, holding club records, overall quality of performance etc here.
For me "Legend" is label that should be used sparingly, but isn't, particularly in this day and age.

Then there are probably 50 or 60 club greats e.g. Wembley winners, part of promotion winning teams, solid service over a few years coupled with quality for example. So people like Hunt, Summerbee, Digby, Calderwood, Noble etc.

There are plenty of what have been described as heroes, players who shone brightly for maybe a lesser period of time or who are fondly remembered for one defining moment e.g. Fjortoft, Invincible.

Agree with you Donkey, these are always fun debates and nobody ever has the right or wrong of it.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #73 on: Sunday, October 16, 2016, 09:05:46 »

Spot on, Calderwood alongside Shaun Taylor of course. Takes a LOT to become a true legend, you have to hang around for more than 3 or 4 seasons and constantly give everything you have.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: Sunday, October 16, 2016, 09:15:53 »

Spot on, Calderwood alongside Shaun Taylor of course. Takes a LOT to become a true legend, you have to hang around for more than 3 or 4 seasons and constantly give everything you have.

Colin definitely has legendary status. 10th on the all time appeasrances list, and captain for 2 Wembley winning sides as well as promotions from Div 4 and Div 3, my second favourite Town player of my time since the 50's.

Maybe we should have semi-legendary, a status a bit above hero, but not quite full legend.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to: