Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: It's Just Like Watching Swindon!  (Read 7041 times)
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« on: Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 11:15:03 »

Slovenia V Ingerland. Fuck me but that was dire.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 11:22:31 »

Utter dross
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 11:30:40 »

Was it as bad as against the powerhouse that was Malta? I tried watching some of that and had to switch off. 80k people there with more money than sense.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 11:31:15 »

I forgot we were playing last night, but I watched the second half of the Malta game in the pub in Manchester and made exactly the same comment to my mate, both teams pretty but ineffective and slow.

Does that make Rodgers our own Wayne Rooney?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 11:31:21 »

Slovenia V Ingerland. Fuck me but that was dire.

I didn't think it was a bad game....in the sense that some internationals are attack v defence exercises and truly terrible.

Both teams gave it a go.  Slovenia although a small country have players who play in Spain, Italy, Germany mostly top flight.

Also they have Jan Oblak in goal who's arguably the current best in the world....think he's conceded something like 4 goals so far this season for club and country.

So a point is not a bad outcome.  We know we've a squad of limited players, who are finding it difficult at international level, so shouldn't expect too much. Qualifying would be a decent achievement.
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 11:36:12 »

I didn't think it was a bad game....in the sense that some internationals are attack v defence exercises and truly terrible.

Both teams gave it a go.  Slovenia although a small country have players who play in Spain, Italy, Germany mostly top flight.

Also they have Jan Oblak in goal who's arguably the current best in the world....think he's conceded something like 4 goals so far this season for club and country.

So a point is not a bad outcome.  We know we've a squad of limited players, who are finding it difficult at international level, so shouldn't expect too much. Qualifying would be a decent achievement.

But we're the best in the world.. should be in double figures against inferior nations like this.

Also, I've never heard of Jan Oblak, who does he play for?

Roaming the land while you sleep..
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 11:45:11 »

But we're the best in the world.. should be in double figures against inferior nations like this.

Also, I've never heard of Jan Oblak, who does he play for?

Atletico Madrid.

Once you free yourself from the Prem hype machine and follow the evidence of your own eyes, it's easy to see a lot of our lads are OK, without being top notch and certainly man for man no better than the Slovenes. They'll have been very disappointed not to have won that game.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 11:47:58 »

I didn't see the game, but surely we don't need to play both Eric Dier and Jordan Henderson in midfield? They are hardly creative (although Henderson provided Slovenia's 2 best chances)

Its quite depressing at the moment, how come our Under 21s are always generally very good, yet our full team go through the motions year after year?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 11:52:34 »

Atletico Madrid.

Once you free yourself from the Prem hype machine and follow the evidence of your own eyes, it's easy to see a lot of our lads are OK, without being top notch and certainly man for man no better than the Slovenes. They'll have been very disappointed not to have won that game.

To be fair, I don't watch a great deal of football these days.. so not up to date with the current crop of 'great' players.

Roaming the land while you sleep..
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 11:54:24 »

I didn't see the game, but surely we don't need to play both Eric Dier and Jordan Henderson in midfield? They are hardly creative (although Henderson provided Slovenia's 2 best chances)

Its quite depressing at the moment, how come our Under 21s are always generally very good, yet our full team go through the motions year after year?

U 21's aren't generally that good and suffer the sort of problems the full side have.  Namely over hyped by the Prem machine...I'd imagine Nathan Delfonouso got in the U 21's, not because he was any good, but rather he played a bit for Villa because he fitted the template of being athletic and quick. Someone like Charlie Austin, who is actually good, of course wouldn't make U 21's because he isn't particularly quick at running.
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 11:55:46 »

Both teams gave it a go.  Slovenia although a small country have players who play in Spain, Italy, Germany mostly top flight.

They may play in those countries but look at who they play for.
Like you say, Oblak is at Atletico Madrid, You have Josip Iličić at Fiorentina, one at Bayer Levekusen, the rest are teams who would struggle in the Championship.

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 11:59:20 »

It was bloody terrible. Bailed out big time by Joe Hart.

Of course I don't expect them to just turn up and win. But this obsession with playing with the Spanish passing mentality doesn't work with players of the technical ability of Pook.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 13:00:27 »

U 21's aren't generally that good and suffer the sort of problems the full side have.  Namely over hyped by the Prem machine...I'd imagine Nathan Delfonouso got in the U 21's, not because he was any good, but rather he played a bit for Villa because he fitted the template of being athletic and quick. Someone like Charlie Austin, who is actually good, of course wouldn't make U 21's because he isn't particularly quick at running.

I suspect Charlie didn't make the under 21's as he was barely out of non-league at that date and had already turned 21 when he departed from League 1 Swindon.
FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 14:34:00 »

It was bloody terrible. Bailed out big time by Joe Hart.

Of course I don't expect them to just turn up and win. But this obsession with playing with the Spanish passing mentality doesn't work with players of the technical ability of Pook.
Talking of Pook, he got a mention on the radio the other day. Sam Parkin was interviewing somebody who commented that they'd been down at Chippenham, where Pook is currently playing, & apparently Pooky said that Parkin was the best player he'd ever played with. Parkin replied (dryly) that Pook was definitely not the best midfielder he had ever played with!! A subtle way of saying he was fucking shit.

I have a culture, I don't stop my culture!!
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 14:36:18 »

Southgate is going to get the job isnt he, if he remains undefeated.

Lets just hope he doesnt take the players for penalty practice.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: