Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Learning a new language  (Read 3487 times)
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 11:08:09 »

@ Chubbs. Piwo /thread
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 12:47:22 »

Quite advanced. It really works if you can keep at it. I used it to brush up on my German.

Decent. I thought I've got some basics down and I like the fact there's reading and writing involved too. When I went to Berlin earlier this year I was pretty ashamed I didn't make any effort.
Plus I want to know what shit the other half's grandparents are saying about me!
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 13:04:09 »

Decent. I thought I've got some basics down and I like the fact there's reading and writing involved too. When I went to Berlin earlier this year I was pretty ashamed I didn't make any effort.
Plus I want to know what shit the other half's grandparents are saying about me!

I had a play at lunchtime, You can't move on to more words until you pass a test so I think this is probably a good way of learning. I'll give it a go for sure.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 15:54:06 »

I took the placement test on Duolingo for Norwegian and it put me at basic. What?
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 18:24:02 »

I took the placement test on Duolingo for Norwegian and it put me at basic. What?

I am using duolingo to learn Norwegian at the moment  Smiley I love it, although some of the phrases are hilariously weird.

I'm also learning Spanish. I'm apparently A level standard at that, but I definitely fluked that and I need to get better. For me it's a combination of an app like duolingo that gives me a daily 'workout', a flash card app, and a notebook I've dedicated to writing things down/drawing. Mixed mediums work best for me.

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 19:25:07 »

I think the "no English" approach of your teacher is very good in that it can help you "think" in the language rather than splutter or hesitate as you are seeking to translate.  Often a translation of the English in your head will not produce something that makes sense in a foreign language anyway.

Back that up with satellite TV or more economically running you tube clips of Simon Cox's spectacular goal v Fernebache one Austrian pre-season.  Impress your friends at the Doner Kebab van or more classily go to a Turkish restaurant and ideally strike a friendship with a waiter or waitress (depending on your inclination).

Oh and less attractively some basic hard work in studying what I call the key verbs such as to be, to have and to drink so that you are fluent in say three tenses such as present, future and one form of past tense.
Talk Talk

« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 22:33:31 »

I am using duolingo to learn Norwegian at the moment  Smiley

Don't. Just don't. You will turn into Sonic.

I spent two years in Norway and never even tried as the natives warned me off...

Oh and "Takk". Or "Tousen takk". That is all you need to get a smile in the (hideously expensive £12 for a bottle of Hobgoblin) bars
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Thursday, October 13, 2016, 11:36:12 »

Thanks for all the feedback guys, certainly plenty of yiyecek for thought!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: