Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Learning a new language  (Read 3558 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« on: Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 09:01:16 »

Hello fellow Europeans.

For one reason or another, my wife and I are learning Turkish. We have enrolled in weekly 2 hour classes, have invested in a large beginners book and I have started using an app called Memrise which tests your listening and writing. (I have learnt about 100 words last week using it).

Based on your past experience, what do you find is the best way of learning a new language? Our Turkish teacher basically doesn't use any English in her classes which at the moment I struggle with as I have no idea how sentences are structured etc.

Any top tips?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 09:09:36 »

Shout in broken English loudly and slowly..

Generally the thing to do, isn't it?

Roaming the land while you sleep..
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 09:10:35 »

Duolingo

/thread
Flashheart

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 09:10:40 »

I learned Thai as a matter of course, I had to learn to order my beer somehow. Having said that I don't speak it nearly as well as I should be able to and can't read or write it at all, so I'm probably not the best person to ask.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 09:11:13 »

Hello fellow Europeans.

For one reason or another, my wife and I are learning Turkish. We have enrolled in weekly 2 hour classes, have invested in a large beginners book and I have started using an app called Memrise which tests your listening and writing. (I have learnt about 100 words last week using it).

Based on your past experience, what do you find is the best way of learning a new language? Our Turkish teacher basically doesn't use any English in her classes which at the moment I struggle with as I have no idea how sentences are structured etc.

Any top tips?

I've a mate who speaks about 5 or 6 languages fluently....his raison d'etre, he houses young mainly Eastern European ladies, who come to Blighty for a variety of reasons, work, students etc.

He taught himself Turkish, in advance of what he thought would be a Cameron inspired inflow of belly dancers etc on Turkey's EU accession.

His method....he watches TV from the country on satellite, you get progs like Millionaire in Turkish, so the format you understand from the start, other stuff is in English and then subtitled. He does have plenty of time to work on it mind, being funded by the domiciled ladies with a bit of freelance computer stuff on the side.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 09:13:07 »

I am crap at learning languages as stints trying French, German, Spanish and Italian show, my approach is to just let my wife who is much better at such things to do the talking whilst I just mumble a bit and arrange the logistics of the holiday!

Incidentally my little one is learning to read at the moment using phonetics and attending the presentation at school the other week made me conclude that I don't even speak English that well!   Embarrassed
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 09:16:16 »

Duolingo

/thread

I've started using this but haven't been as disciplined with it as I'd liked.

How far along have you got with it? I'm trying it to learn some Italian
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 09:19:42 »

attending the presentation at school the other week made me conclude that I don't even speak English that well!   Embarrassed
But aren't you in Lancs? therefore they speak their own dialect of English anyway so if you can learn that you learn anything....

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 09:33:43 »

But aren't you in Lancs? therefore they speak their own dialect of English anyway so if you can learn that you learn anything....

Cumbria now so its even better - I fear for our little one she is growing up with a father with a bizarre Wiltshire Gloucestershire accent, a mother who is broad Yorkshire and living in Cumbria accent wise she has got no hope!
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 09:38:31 »

Cumbria now so its even better - I fear for our little one she is growing up with a father with a bizarre Wiltshire Gloucestershire accent, a mother who is broad Yorkshire and living in Cumbria accent wise she has got no hope!

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 09:39:53 »

I've started using this but haven't been as disciplined with it as I'd liked.

How far along have you got with it? I'm trying it to learn some Italian

Quite advanced. It really works if you can keep at it. I used it to brush up on my German.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 09:42:46 »

Duolingo

/thread

That looks like 'Memrise' if not a bit better from first glance. I'll give that a go Samdy, thanks a lot.

I've a mate who speaks about 5 or 6 languages fluently....his raison d'etre, he houses young mainly Eastern European ladies, who come to Blighty for a variety of reasons, work, students etc.

He taught himself Turkish, in advance of what he thought would be a Cameron inspired inflow of belly dancers etc on Turkey's EU accession.

His method....he watches TV from the country on satellite, you get progs like Millionaire in Turkish, so the format you understand from the start, other stuff is in English and then subtitled. He does have plenty of time to work on it mind, being funded by the domiciled ladies with a bit of freelance computer stuff on the side.

The wife has suggested watching Turkish films (with English subtitles) so might give this a go also.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 10:19:11 »

The wife has suggested watching Turkish films (with English subtitles) so might give this a go also.

Possibly put Reg's other suggestion to invite loads of young Turkish ladies into the house to her as well?  Cheesy
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 10:25:51 »

Whatever you do, don't try to learn polish. It's near impossible to self learn in your "spare time"

Take a simple word, such as "two" (2) There is only 1 way of saying it, two.
Some countries have a masculine/feminine version making it two ways of saying two.
It gets a bit complicated when your head east such as Croatia have 7 forms depending on gender Poland has 17 forms of saying two.
 1. dwa
 2. dwie
 3. dwoje
 4. dwóch (or dwu)
 5. dwaj
 6. dwiema
 7. dwom (or dwóm)
 8. dwoma
 9. dwojga
 10. dwojgu
 11. dwojgiem
 12. dwójka
 13. dwójki
 14. dwójkę
15. dwójką
16. dwójce
 17. dwójko

That's just 1 word. It took me the best part of 10 years to speak extremely fluently.

Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 11:02:13 »

I have no desire to learn Polish thanks Chubbs and your post hasn't changed that!!

Turkish doesn't seem so complicated, only 1 word for yes (evet) and 1 word for no (hayir). Smiley

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: