Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Washbag article  (Read 19521 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: Monday, October 10, 2016, 10:12:54 »

what is our budget, and what's the league average. I genuinely have no idea, and it would provide context to our season.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #61 on: Monday, October 10, 2016, 10:27:10 »

what is our budget, and what's the league average. I genuinely have no idea, and it would provide context to our season.
I am not certain how you can find out either, Power said earlier in the season we are in the lowest 4 budgets in our league but did not hint at how much or how much others were.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: Monday, October 10, 2016, 11:05:14 »

I am not certain how you can find out either, Power said earlier in the season we are in the lowest 4 budgets in our league but did not hint at how much or how much others were.

Power stated in August that the budget had been upped by £500k from last season putting us into the top half for budgets this season.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Panda Paws

« Reply #63 on: Monday, October 10, 2016, 11:10:28 »

Power stated in August that the budget had been upped by £500k from last season putting us into the top half for budgets this season.

Exactly - so we're without doubt under-performing, either individually or systemically, or both.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #64 on: Monday, October 10, 2016, 11:23:26 »

My mistake I misheard in an interview I thought he said it had gone down not gone up, you are correct.

Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Monday, October 10, 2016, 11:39:36 »

Crisis or no crisis, that is the question

FWIW I think that we are in possibly the most precarious position on the pitch that I can remember for a long time.

We have a team that can't defend, only Bolton's woeful finishing (and some good goalkeeping) prevented us being trounced on Saturday, and strikers that can't score.

This is a combination that (if it continues) can only lead to one thing, and that's league two.

Now we've been there before & have always bounced back pretty quickly, the concern would be that the model we have doesn't appear likely to offer such a quick return. Can't see Power throwing money at it and have to think that we will come up against far more physical sides than even this season.

It's too early to say we are doomed, but something has to change.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: Monday, October 10, 2016, 12:31:14 »

Its not a crisis yet. Purely because this league of mediocrity is so tight.

But the light at the end of the tunnel, well, I think you covered it. Its hard to see one.
==============
Thanks for clearing up the budget, I didn't realise we were in the top half. I'm surprised/amazed to be honest.

Will certainly heap more pressure on the management team internally.
Flashheart

« Reply #67 on: Monday, October 10, 2016, 13:04:42 »

A drama. A few steps up from a kerfuffle, yet also a few below a crisis.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #68 on: Monday, October 10, 2016, 13:13:34 »

Thanks for clearing up the budget, I didn't realise we were in the top half. I'm surprised/amazed to be honest.

Will certainly heap more pressure on the management team internally.

Confirmation here.

http://www.gazetteandherald.co.uk/sport/14695450.Two_new_faces_still_on_Swindon_s_radar/

leftside

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: Tuesday, October 11, 2016, 19:56:49 »

FWIW I think that we are in possibly the most precarious position on the pitch that I can remember for a long time.

We have a team that can't defend, only Bolton's woeful finishing (and some good goalkeeping) prevented us being trounced on Saturday, and strikers that can't score.

This is a combination that (if it continues) can only lead to one thing, and that's league two.

Now we've been there before & have always bounced back pretty quickly, the concern would be that the model we have doesn't appear likely to offer such a quick return. Can't see Power throwing money at it and have to think that we will come up against far more physical sides than even this season.

It's too early to say we are doomed, but something has to change.
Power's record so far suggests that something will change before we're 'doomed'. If we do go down, it won't be with Williams at the helm.
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 06:27:38 »

I don't think it's a crisis. I just think it's got to the point where they've alienated the fans from the club in a number of ways.

I live about 75-80 miles away, and work shifts/have my son for sleepovers and only get one FULL weekend off in 5, the style of football and lack of excitement really isn't worth travelling up for. 

I'm sure I'll still go at some point this season, but having got up early (after a night shift) to watch the stream of the Bolton game, it did make me wonder why I even bothered.

It's even down to silly things like: I don't even have my notifications set up to know what's going on, be it a game day or just 'normal' news. A very 2016 thing to say, sure, but the thing is; a few years ago that was all different.

Roaming the land while you sleep..
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 08:26:08 »

I don't think it's a crisis. I just think it's got to the point where they've alienated the fans from the club in a number of ways.

I said back in the summer that the club has done a very good job of alienating the fans and next to fuck all to build any links.

The mysterious Steve Anderson occasionally gets mentioned...anybody ever see or hear from him?

Back then I pointed out, even Diamandis' regime could have an open training session, where nippers and old uns of a certain type could come along and get autographs pics etc. I suppose now it would be selfies. Power is partly to blame, but he's only the end of a process that's been going on since the Thatcherite 80's.  I'd guess those who pay for hospitality get to rub shoulders with players, so the thinking is keep it as an incentive for those who pay.

Think you're right, it isn't a crisis off the pitch, insofar as we don't have the debt laden Sword of Damocles hanging over us, for which Power deserves credit.

I was interested in Williams' Orwellian line that the club has been returned to the fans.  I think it can only mean that our level will be decided by attendances, purchases of merchandise and other monies generated....much like AFC who we play Sat.   It is here where the problem lies, but it is a sporting problem, so not really a crisis. 

To give some context...we've scored 5 goals at the CG in 6 games.....in my time we've matched that level of shitness 5 other times.

55/56, generally reckoned our worst ever season until 10/11, we ended up applying for re-election.  73/74, against a backdrop of Tory economic incompetence, 3 day week, power cuts, fuel rationing, the club is also bust and falls out of Div 2 as the country falls into the EU to try and survive, happily both manage it.

93/94 the Prem season, we know it will be hard but still managed 5 goals in the first 6 games. 99/00 here we are again hopelessly falling out of Div 2, anyone want to buy a groundsman's mower? Administration isn't nice.

01/02, the exception; we didn't go down  Smiley  Rovers epic cock-up and Lawrie Sanchez's Wycombe's professionalism save us in the last week.

So indidcators are, that a bit like the Tory inspired plunging £, we may have to drop down to find a level that the dwindling fan base can support. The last time the £ was this low we finished 17th in Div 4  Smiley

horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 09:10:13 »

I said back in the summer that the club has done a very good job of alienating the fans and next to fuck all to build any links.

The mysterious Steve Anderson occasionally gets mentioned...anybody ever see or hear from him?

Back then I pointed out, even Diamandis' regime could have an open training session, where nippers and old uns of a certain type could come along and get autographs pics etc. I suppose now it would be selfies. Power is partly to blame, but he's only the end of a process that's been going on since the Thatcherite 80's.  I'd guess those who pay for hospitality get to rub shoulders with players, so the thinking is keep it as an incentive for those who pay.

Think you're right, it isn't a crisis off the pitch, insofar as we don't have the debt laden Sword of Damocles hanging over us, for which Power deserves credit.

I was interested in Williams' Orwellian line that the club has been returned to the fans.  I think it can only mean that our level will be decided by attendances, purchases of merchandise and other monies generated....much like AFC who we play Sat.   It is here where the problem lies, but it is a sporting problem, so not really a crisis. 

To give some context...we've scored 5 goals at the CG in 6 games.....in my time we've matched that level of shitness 5 other times.

55/56, generally reckoned our worst ever season until 10/11, we ended up applying for re-election.  73/74, against a backdrop of Tory economic incompetence, 3 day week, power cuts, fuel rationing, the club is also bust and falls out of Div 2 as the country falls into the EU to try and survive, happily both manage it.

93/94 the Prem season, we know it will be hard but still managed 5 goals in the first 6 games. 99/00 here we are again hopelessly falling out of Div 2, anyone want to buy a groundsman's mower? Administration isn't nice.

01/02, the exception; we didn't go down  Smiley  Rovers epic cock-up and Lawrie Sanchez's Wycombe's professionalism save us in the last week.

So indidcators are, that a bit like the Tory inspired plunging £, we may have to drop down to find a level that the dwindling fan base can support. The last time the £ was this low we finished 17th in Div 4  Smiley

Its a bit early but a commitment is a commitment....  Pint  Pint  Pint
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 10:09:45 »

Haha, classic stuff.

It takes some going to find a way to shoehorn in 3 references
« Last Edit: Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 10:12:56 by Abrahammer » Logged
Nick Bamosomi
Bitter & Twisted

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 11:33:38 »

Totally agree with this.  There seems to be more black & white posters (not racist) and less grey to level out the perception on here.  The black posters refuse to see the white posters point of view and vice versa, even to the point where each side mock and belittle each other for having a differing opinion to themselves.  The ability to see both points of view and have more of a realistic perspective seems to be much rarer these days.  The Black & White posters seem to be the more vociferous and therefore the grey posters tend to not bother, because it's not worth being shouted down.

I am a grey poster, and pop my head up every now and again, but very soon tend to think, meh..

I lurk and read more than I post these days, especially in match day threads

Yes, yes and yes!!
Hardly ever visit here any more, partly because of the depressing nature of the football stuff.

Never , under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same  night
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: