Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Washbag article  (Read 19535 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Sunday, October 9, 2016, 18:25:35 »

He's explained the way the club runs financially, the type of players we look for - essentially turd polishing.

What did he say on finances? I've only heard vague "won't spend more than we earn" and "won't make money back until he sells up" lines.
Flashheart

« Reply #31 on: Sunday, October 9, 2016, 18:27:03 »

Lets be honest were all abit pissed at the way things are going BUT I'm sure lee power is just as pissed if not more, what player assets do we have this current season so far, were at the wrong end of the table and the fans are constantly moaning. What's next? I'm sure this isn't going to the power master plan

He was clearly very frustrated in an interview before the Rovers game. He said he'd invested more this season than any other and that they need to 'start performing'. I heard it as a message that Luke needs to get his act together, but that's just my interpretation. Either way he wasn't happy and again, that was BEFORE the Rovers game.
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Sunday, October 9, 2016, 18:29:37 »

Missed quite a few games so far this season. Even the fact that I've got a season ticket hasn't always been a good enough reason to go and I'm noticing the 3 hour round trip to the CG much more than I used too.
It's not all down to the football we're playing and it's got nothing to do with Power (I actually agree with his model, although not the way he goes about it). I'm just finding more and more things I'd rather be doing than watching Swindon, which is something I thought would never happen. Even when I do go, defeats mean a lot less than they used; I'm usually over it before I get home.

It's All Good..............
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Sunday, October 9, 2016, 18:36:12 »

I may have misinterpreted something Williams said on the phone-in, but it sounded like now we are financially stable the selling of players to balance the books should be a thing of the past.

We should be able to retain our best players and build instead of the annual start all over again.

I know the fact we don't actually have many, if any, saleable assets at the moment puts a bit of a dent in that theory
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Sunday, October 9, 2016, 18:36:38 »

So what are we saying here, we all couldn't imagine life without Town. Now we've all grown to that age of meh-ness.

Perhaps its always been thus, a large drop off of middle age support losing interest...
------
@rory, I guess we'll see next time an offer comes in Smiley
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Sunday, October 9, 2016, 18:45:38 »

I may have misinterpreted something Williams said on the phone-in, but it sounded like now we are financially stable the selling of players to balance the books should be a thing of the past.

We should be able to retain our best players and build instead of the annual start all over again.

I know the fact we don't actually have many, if any, saleable assets at the moment puts a bit of a dent in that theory

Depends how much you believe power is in it for the £££. As for saleable assets, think it's both of our keepers. Be interesting to see what kind of player Brophy is in 2 years, he's come on leaps and bounds in a year
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Sunday, October 9, 2016, 18:49:26 »

Well, I think the fact he put the Ajose money into the playing budget is great.

I'd imagine he's mightily pissed off at the moment

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Sunday, October 9, 2016, 18:50:21 »

I'm in the meh camp.
Can't remember the last time I watched a full football match. Pretty much given up on the game completely. No local non league games, visits to the county ground, matches on TV or even match of the day. The only minor interest I have in it is due to dream team competitions and looking for towns results. I don't miss it at all.
From reading other people's comments I conclude that many go to or watch it purely out of habit.
« Last Edit: Sunday, October 9, 2016, 18:59:58 by Arriba » Logged
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #38 on: Sunday, October 9, 2016, 19:03:26 »

I know several who are going out of duty. It's like having a second job recently. We hope it turns around but nobody expects it to. Attending is no fun any more. The entertainment value is virtually nil.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Sunday, October 9, 2016, 20:23:06 »

I think Power has got bored of the football club and is now concentrating on the horse racing.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Sunday, October 9, 2016, 20:38:56 »

Flasheart has the (probably) unwanted luxury of not actually seeing us play as he's out in Asia or somewhere. So it's radio streams and odd games like Peterborough for him.

Game after game of this current shit live is a killer, I can tell you. The rage mists all.....

Flasheart IS lucky but I happen to believe we have a pretty good squad EXCEPT possibly up front.  There are some players for whom it is important to kick on this season who are in danger of failing to do so - but it would be good to see some appreciation for their potential even when they have had a stinker. Even the lengthy injury list itself has for some been the subject of criticism rather than a manifestation of bad luck. 

It is for LW however to stop the players needlessy compounding this bad luck by getting themselves banned and for getting a not unreasonable squad motivated and playing in a winning style.

There does seem to be a mismatch at present between the tippy tappy playing style and the skills ability of several team members and that really is for LW to sort out.  Time may not be on his or STFCs side so we shall see whether he does have it in him - or not - to fashion a response to pressure.

Whilst there probably was a gap in the market for offering a possession-based style of football that could attract young players of slightly higher quality than low-budget Swindon might expect, that loan-market opportunity no longer seems available.  Power as chairman has a little longer than LW to adjust the course of the tanker. You can't just aim to stay still or decline will inevitably result.
Arch Stanton

Wallowing in negativity

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Sunday, October 9, 2016, 21:26:39 »

To be honest, I wrote this article on Saturday night whilst riding a wave of pure rage. The wife was busy watching Strictly and I was left a stewing and seething pool of backed-up anger.

Why the anger? Well, I used to love going to football and I really don't anymore. It's that simple.

I've been a season ticket holder for 30 years, I go with my Dad, my mates and more recently, a few times with my young lad and I just don't fancy it any longer - after 30 years! Its just too boring and frustrating, I've felt a creeping sense of antipathy over the past few seasons and I've been left feeling amazingly resentful because of it. Hence my rant.

However, it does appear that a lot of people feel the same, it seems the massive 'meh' factor has grabbed a few of us and I feel comfort in the fact that I'm not alone, like a heroin addict at a support group.

But like any junkie, I'll probably end up still getting my regular fix, regardless of the pain it causes me, until the day I'm too old to come. The following year we're bound to be taken over by a billionaire - and over the course of the next five, we'll be back in the Premier League.

Fuck you football.
FormerlyPlymRed

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #42 on: Sunday, October 9, 2016, 21:48:42 »

I find it a chore to go to the CG atm, no atmosphere and generally quite boring. I still enjoy going all over the country for an away game, bit more of a day out on the beers with mates/family and usually a better atmosphere even with just 300 odd town fans.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Sunday, October 9, 2016, 22:07:17 »

It's always been the case that sometimes attending is more about the social side than the result because we have been gash.

Bit like the "it's not all about the winning, it's the taking part that counts" approach adopted by the team at the moment.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Sunday, October 9, 2016, 23:01:54 »

If you think this is the worst crisis at stfc in recent history you need to calm down, sober up or both.

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: