Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town V Northampton Town official matchday thread  (Read 35531 times)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #240 on: Wednesday, September 28, 2016, 11:44:53 »

It seems the general consensus is that it's time for Luke to go....so who to come in.
That's a large assumption and even if right, probably irrelevant. Williams will go when Power says so, not any notional consensus you may think has been arrived at.
Paul Trollope should be available soon, and as far as I know is still Highworth based, so handy for the new training ground.
If we are to get a new manager, I'd hope that proximity to Highworth isn't going to be high on the list of recruitment criteria, or we will seriously limit our options!
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #241 on: Wednesday, September 28, 2016, 11:47:28 »

...and our options will include fatbury
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #242 on: Wednesday, September 28, 2016, 11:54:19 »

That's a large assumption and even if right, probably irrelevant. Williams will go when Power says so, not any notional consensus you may think has been arrived at.If we are to get a new manager, I'd hope that proximity to Highworth isn't going to be high on the list of recruitment criteria, or we will seriously limit our options!

I'm talking about a consensus on here. It's pretty much the case once you've lost the fans your days are numbered....even Flasher sees the need for change, so let's debate it.

Power's previous appointments have been in house, or someone with Town connections....PT sort of fits both bills, but comes with a wealth of coaching experience including a recent 3rd/4th place finish at the Euros. It's also more likely he could return to a previous coaching gig with Hughton or similar and trouser 5 times what he'll get for taking our job.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #243 on: Wednesday, September 28, 2016, 11:59:33 »

...and our options will include fatbury
You see, put like that it becomes a more compelling case ... Smiley
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #244 on: Wednesday, September 28, 2016, 12:14:07 »

I wonder whether Power doesn't like the high press as he sees it as rudimentary? 

Liverpool do it to huge effect, as do Spurs.  Liverpool for example have the highest number of passes, shots and tackles, I think was the stat at the weekend, and are second in most other aspects of the game in the Prem.  Barcelona have hunted in packs for years and they're the pinnacle in Power's eyes one would assume.

Something doesn't add up with regards to this in my opinion.

I think he knows the players aren't fit enough and the extra workload means they are getting injured.
Panda Paws

« Reply #245 on: Wednesday, September 28, 2016, 12:18:38 »

Having watched the highlights only, so going off 9 mins rather than 90, we've pummelled them but can't defend.

There's nothing wrong with the shape. Our squad is built to play 352. There's everything wrong with individual quality at either end of the pitch.

Also, it's weird that everyone says they're bored, but also that they want us to play 451, defend with 10 men and get some 0-0 draws....
A Gent Orange

Ignore
« Reply #246 on: Wednesday, September 28, 2016, 12:20:22 »

I think he knows the players aren't fit enough and the extra workload means they are getting injured.

I think a high press is pretty tricky to do against very direct teams (especially ones who are ahead). For example, Rovers were playing direct from the 'keeper. How do you press that?

That said, I'm not sure Delfonso or Norris would suit it. Nor Obika really. They set the press.
A Gent Orange

Ignore
« Reply #247 on: Wednesday, September 28, 2016, 12:31:55 »

Having watched the highlights only, so going off 9 mins rather than 90, we've pummelled them but can't defend.

There's nothing wrong with the shape. Our squad is built to play 352. There's everything wrong with individual quality at either end of the pitch.

Also, it's weird that everyone says they're bored, but also that they want us to play 451, defend with 10 men and get some 0-0 draws....
Tough to argue with that - and I was there. The highlights for the goal on Twitter shows the utter mess they were in 10 players in a line, giving Murray plenty of time to get a shot away.

That is what our approach play can do - as you say the problem is in two boxes - and that is less of a systemic error than a personnel one.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #248 on: Wednesday, September 28, 2016, 12:52:03 »

Just saw the highlights. We could have scored 4 or 5 and their 3rd goal is definitely a foul on Goddard.

The rest has been said, we need to defend better and spent a good day or two working on sticking the ball in the net.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #249 on: Wednesday, September 28, 2016, 14:21:03 »

Our next home game is v Bolton and seems to be a 1:00 pm ko, is it a Sky game, as it's another international break?
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #250 on: Wednesday, September 28, 2016, 14:28:40 »

I'm talking about a consensus on here. It's pretty much the case once you've lost the fans your days are numbered....even Flasher sees the need for change, so let's debate it.

Power's previous appointments have been in house, or someone with Town connections....PT sort of fits both bills, but comes with a wealth of coaching experience including a recent 3rd/4th place finish at the Euros. It's also more likely he could return to a previous coaching gig with Hughton or similar and trouser 5 times what he'll get for taking our job.

What's Ian Culverhouse up to now a days?

Was part of Paul Lamberts team at Colchester, Norwich and Villa for a bit. Got sacked and Lambert has looked pretty shite without him.
Has Town connections.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #251 on: Wednesday, September 28, 2016, 14:30:35 »

Our next home game is v Bolton and seems to be a 1:00 pm ko, is it a Sky game, as it's another international break?

To allow everyone to get home in time for the delights of England v Malta.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #252 on: Wednesday, September 28, 2016, 14:30:44 »

I'm not sure anyone's said that last bit?
I've suggested going back to basics to be more solid and come out of this horrible run of form...but I've also never bought into this bollocks about entertainment.

Results > Entertainmemt

If we have to be boring as fuck to get results, then I'd gladly take that.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #253 on: Wednesday, September 28, 2016, 14:33:58 »

If we have to be boring as fuck to get results, then I'd gladly take that.

New forum slogan for you:

Always gets results

Wink
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #254 on: Wednesday, September 28, 2016, 14:34:13 »

What's Ian Culverhouse up to now a days?

Was part of Paul Lamberts team at Colchester, Norwich and Villa for a bit. Got sacked and Lambert has looked pretty shite without him.
Has Town connections.

Assistant at Dagenham & Redbridge.

David Kerslake also springs to mind, assistant at Gillingham.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18   Go Up
Print
Jump to: